Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The revised orientation is MUCH better for a starting point. That said, the echo and extremely long decay times in the room will be horrible. Some serious damping is going to be required to tame a room of that size with all concrete construction.

What are you using the room for? You seem to be laid out very nearfield. Is this for studio work or 2 channel listening in general and what speakers are you using?

Bryan

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Warning: This comment is from a clueless non-Acoustician.

Wow, what a room.
Pictures would be good, and ... ... are there any doors or windows or perhaps, heaven forbid, a large stairway coming into the middle of the room?

I look forward to the answers you will be getting, here are my suggestions they are probably wrong but I will profit from people telling me why. ;-}
Those side walls are going to be LIVE, my ancient thought is to hang some tapestries to absorb those high freq reflections. (that advice seems dated)
The speaker spacing seems odd to me too shouldn't they be closer? 2728 they only leave 1961/2 mm from speaker center to horrible concrete wall. If you moved them closer say 2000mm center to center you would have almost 1345 from speaker center to concrete.

What is the optimum speaker separation in a two channel set-up with a listening distance of 3659 mm?
Speaking of listening location. Is tat an overstuffed chair? An office chair? A love seat? (hmm how "wide" is the listening position?

I suppose I should have started with how much did you want to spend. :-o
If you put 2x4s on the walls and the floor using irregular spacing and then panel the room with plywood covered with fabric ... ... ... the answers might be somewhat different than if you are, shall we say, less serious.

Are you single? What kind of SAF do you need to apply to both the finished room and the process.

Sorry but being a totally clueless non-Acoustician, I am just not able to offer any "good" advice.
But I may be able to learn from your question.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
The revised orientation is MUCH better for a starting point.
Keep in mind that I re-did the OP's drawing not knowing whether he has any doors or other architectural impediments to orienting his set-up that way. As other posters have said, it would be nice to see pics of the room.
You seem to be laid out very nearfield.
That's how it looks from the way he drew the speakers, but according to the numbers in the drawing, the room is 15.4 feet wide at that point. The drawing has him sitting 12 feet from the speaker plane, with a 9-foot spread. IF this is a 2-speaker set-up (no subs) and he places the speakers at the quarter points of room width (2nd width mode null location) for some mode cancelling in the low frequencies, then that's still 7.7 feet between speakers (not bad).

Sitting 6.7 feet away from the speaker plane will give him a 60° spread (traditional equilateral triangle), while sitting 7.7 feet away from the speaker plane will give him a 53° spread. In either case, he doesn't have to listen in the nearfield if he doesn't want to. Even in the narrow section of that room, there is plenty of space to work with (barring impediments not in the drawing).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Floor plan Room Architecture Interior design House

As you can see, my room is basically shaped like yours and is about he same size (15.4'W x 25.75'L 8'H)

I am getting good results.

Black = Absorbers
Wood = Diffusers
Gray = Reflectors

Mine is a listening room.

(this is an older rendition, but it illustrates my basic strategy)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't speak English well.
And it is not easy to understand but trying!
Please understand, even if I do not speak English well.

I'm trying to understand a good writing and information in here and always grateful to you.

I plan to begin construction of room acoustic.

Sooner or later, I'll attach a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have posted photos (Listening Room) now!

Circumstances, I cannot change the speaker placement in the opposite direction (rear) of the room.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have posted photos (Listening Room) now!

Circumstances, I cannot change the speaker placement in the opposite direction (rear) of the room.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have posted another (REW Data) photos.

I plan to install acoustic panels as shown below.

Location of speakers and the listening position have not decided yet.

I would appreciate it if you could inform the appropriate location of the speaker.

I'd like to know in detail what problems exist in this listening room?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The foam on the front wall is not doing anything except taking all the high frequency life out of the room and leaving the bottom end untouched. The front right corner needs some broadband bass control as that speaker is much more corner loaded than the left side is. Rear corners could use the same.

If the shelving directly behind the seating can be moved, that's another prime place for some bass control to help with your sitting back in the room relatively far.

Bryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dear Bryan Pape!

Answers so quickly, thank you very much for your help.

Please tell me a little more information, I would appreciate it if you could for my room acoustics.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The panels on the left are doing little to nothing. The right side is correct for the corners. The panels you show on the right according to the pictures are behind the reflection zone so not doing much.

Decay time is out of control in the bottom as to be expected - hence my recommendations.

L and R channel different down low - again to be expected due to lack of symmetry left to right.

When you look at frequency response, do it with no smoothing and scale the bottom to be just 30-400Hz or so. Very hard to see what's actually happening with full scale and 1/3 octave smoothing on.

Bryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Dear Mr. Bryan Pape!

I have posted another REW Data (30Hz ~ 400Hz pictures).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
That's better but not convinced you need full coverage on front and side walls like that.

Also, would be nice to see both speakers together. While helpful to see each speaker individually, what you hear is both together.

Also, just plot the ALL SPL and the WATERFALL - both with no smoothing.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
An actual blackboard!!
Is that open cell foam around it?

And carpet squares on another wall, with a wall of "unfinished" slats.
With an area rug over shiny wood floor, where is all this concrete you mentioned?

With a hardwood floor laid on a concrete slab I would think that spikes would provide better bass that "rubber isolation casters". Do you roll the speakers "out of the way" and remove the pillows from the blackboard when you work, then re-place the speakers and place the pillows when you want to listen? seems like it might be difficult to get the speakers placed in the same position each time.

I can't wait till someone knowledgeable comments on what you might do here.

P.S.
I note a structure sort of separating the room into two parts, is that a bass trap or does it cover a structural beam that holds up the floor above?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dear Mr. Bryan Pape!

Thank you, once again, kind response.

Well, I have a question.

Do I need to re-measure REW with no smoothing mode or use existing measurement data?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts