Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've had my Onkyo receiver for a few days now, and just tonight I'm getting static out of the left speaker only. Now, I did some research before posting this. I checked my connections, everything's good there. I then ran the speaker wire all the way out (taut) so it wasn't touching any power cable sources or anything else; still having static. THEN, I took the RIGHT speaker and plugged it into the LEFT channel ports, and boom, static in the RIGHT speaker then. So I know it's the receiver.

So NOW, what do I do? Disassemble the receiver and start spraying? If so, with what?

Thanks, guys. :)

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If the unit is new don't do anything at all to fix it. It should be under warranty and should be replaced or repaired for you depending on the policy under which you purchased it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing, I bought it "used, but like new" from Amazon. Odd thing was, that when I got it, it was ALL wrapped up in it's original packaging as if direct from an Onkyo retailer. I'm unsure if it's under warranty.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is unlikely that there is much that you can do to fix it if it is a problem in the receiver. Other than perhaps a board or ribbon cable connection that could be loose, there is little that is easy to DIY about these units.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is unlikely that there is much that you can do to fix it if it is a problem in the receiver. Other than perhaps a board or ribbon cable connection that could be loose, there is little that is easy to DIY about these units.
Well poop. :( Would it be worth it to check? Probably not, disassembling it will void my warranty, if there is one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would check with who you bought it from first and see if they will work it out for u. I just got a refurbished one from accessory's 4 less and it came with paper work on a 1 year warranty Just my two cents

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would check with who you bought it from first and see if they will work it out for u. I just got a refurbished one from accessory's 4 less and it came with paper work on a 1 year warranty Just my two cents
Right, I've done that. The guy I had order it for me said he'd have to fill out the forms if I wanted to return it. I'm trying to get in touch with Onkyo Customer Support via email to see if there's anything I can do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just read this posting and wanted to find out what the outcome was? My wife has been telling me that we have static in one of our speakers and I just investigated and found that it's the right front from our Onyko tx nr609 that is powering Energy Take Classics 5.1. I also checked and it's isolated to just that channel. I bought mine new from a Fry's store in South Houston in December last year. (We live in 400 miles away).

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Probably nothing that you can do, other than verify no bad cables or connections. If it is on multiple sources this is unlikely and I would try to isolate any conditions under which it occurs and get the unit in for service while under warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts