Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how I would go about adding the 30hz high pass filter from my Behringer EP1500 amp into winisd.

I know that you go th the EQ/filter tab but Im not sure which option to set. For the filter type I know I pick high pass but Im not sure about the subtype (Im guessing it should be butterworth). I also dont know what the Order and the Q should be? The defult is 2.000 for Order and the Q is 0.000 so that is what Ive been using with the cutoff at 30hz. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Butterworth as opposed to a Linkwitz Riley filter is more gradual. You can make the curve more aggressive by going to a higher order filter IE: 4th 8th 12th etc. or changing to Linkwitz Riley.
The degree of slope of the filter depends on the Hz point where you feel your driver needs to be protected from the subsonics.
As an example: an 18" driver in a ported box will be protected with a Butterworth 2nd order filter set at 20Hz. You're trying to protect the driver from over excursion.
If you enter (all) of a drivers parameters into WinISD the different software program functions can show you, on the visible graphs, where all these intersecting points of interference, damage, or distortion may occur.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What Im realy want to know is, whats my EP1500's 30hz high pass filter because thats what Im going to be using? Is it a butterworth or somthing else? Any idea what to enter into Winisd to represent the EP1500's 30hz high pass?

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
What Im realy want to know is, whats my EP1500's 30hz high pass filter because thats what Im going to be using? Is it a butterworth or somthing else? Any idea what to enter into Winisd to represent the EP1500's 30hz high pass?
Unfortunately the EP1500 manual doesn't state the type or the slope. But if I had to guess, I'd say it is a 2nd order Butterworth filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts