Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a kenwood audio-video stereo receiver Kr-V86R that is only 2.1 channels and has no sub woofer output and i don't have the money for a new sub woofer. I currently have a custom sub woofer that is 180 watts but only has a negative and positive wire no inputs only an output wire .The sub is a non powered one .Anyone have an answer?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Re: How do you hook up a passive (non powererd)to a 2.1 stero reciver with no subwoofer output

1. It is not a 2.1 channel receiver; it is a 2 channel stereo receiver.
2. Tell us all the connections on the subwoofer and/or the specific brand model.
3. Pending receipt of (2), I can only say that you may have to buy something additional.

Kal

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Re: How do you hook up a passive (non powererd)to a 2.1 stero reciver with no subwoofer output

First of all ... Welcome :wave:

I currently have a custom sub woofer that is 180 watts but only has a negative and positive wire no inputs only an output wire .The sub is a non powered one .Anyone have an answer?
Can you clarify about the negative and positive wire on the back of the sub???? ....(a picture will be excellent) :yes:

If you have two set of terminals on the sub (in and out) just connect from AVR speaker terminals (red and white) and connect your speakers from sub :yes:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well i built the sub woofer myself out of some old subs i had in the garage and i used a sub from a old home theater system i bought from circuit city last year .The sub woofer only has an output to plug into my receiver it consist of a negative and positive wire that hooks up to the receiver like a speaker.The receiver i have is a kenwood audio video stereo receiver Kr-V86R . It does not have any sub outputs the only output it has it tape rec out and i don't have any money to buy a new sub or amp or even a new receiver. I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't let me sorry for the inconvenience.The model number is KR-V86R but there is a number on the back of the unit it says A23-3466-02 .I appreciate your answers .Thanks .

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

zenith 5h-223f- what the back of the sub says as far as model number .

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The way it is hooked up is there is a hole in the sub box witch is a negative and positive wire and neagative wire that hooks up like a speaker would i cant upload any pics my camera doesn't work .

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

...The sub woofer only has an output to plug into my receiver it consist of a negative and positive wire that hooks up to the receiver like a speaker...
That negative and positive wire you call "output" is in reality the "subwoofer input" (is how it gets the signal from amp ... the speaker terminal on the AVr is the output) :yes:

Do you have speaker terminal A and B in your AVR???? ... if you do, I suggest to connect speakers to terminal A and sub to terminal B ... or if you only have speaker terminal A on your AVR, you will need to add another pair of wires (neg and pos) to the back of the sub to connect the speakers there and the sub to speaker terminals :yes:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Sorry I missed the information on the AVR (is a stereo, so I'm sure there's no speaker A + B option :yes:)

Is your sub 8ohm??? .... Does it have a crossover??? ....:dontknow:

Maybe others can correct me if I'm wrong ... but if you answered yest to my questions, I think you can use a speaker selector like this ..... then connect the speakers and the sub there :bigsmile:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my sub woofer is kinda ghetto lol but it is only 6 ohm and it says max power 180 watt my avr has a and b switching but idk if you can use a and b at the same time

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has no crossover nothing it is like a sub you would get out of a walmart home theater system

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
It has no crossover nothing it is like a sub you would get out of a walmart home theater system
...Well i built the sub woofer myself out of some old subs i had in the garage and i used a sub from a old home theater system i bought from circuit city last year
I'm not an expert ... but if you didn't use a crossover it means that the sub is a full range speaker (it will play all frequencies), Right???

Try to hook it up to the speaker B terminal and see if it works ...:yes:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i tried it but i sounded like a regular speaker it made the rest of the speakers sound like garbage

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
It sounds like this is what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/DIAMOND-2-WAY-STEREO-PASSIVE-SUBWOOFER-CROSSOVER-S-NEW_W0QQitemZ280139019306QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

""THIS UNIT MOUNTS IN YOUR SUBWOOFER BOX. YOU RUN YOUR MAIN SPEAKER WIRES FROM YOUR RECEIVER DIRECTLY TO THE INPUTS. BASS FREQUENCIES WILL BE SENT TO THE SUBWOOFER THROUGH THE ATTACHED WIRES ON THE BACK. THERE ARE OUTPUTS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PLATE WHERE YOU CONNECT YOUR MAIN SPEAKERS TO SEND THEM EVERYTHING BUT THE BASS""

It also says your sub needs to be a dual voice coil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts