Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

How do you usually like listen to your music?

• I listen to the whole album from start to end

Votes: 71 50.0%
  • I make my own play-lists

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I shuffle everything

Votes: 21 14.8%
  • I usually use Pandora or another internet radio station

Votes: 21 14.8%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless I am looking for a particular song I like to listen to an album from beginning to end. I think that's one of the reasons that I like vinyl.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Vinyl, reel to reel and Cd are start to end. Music server is usually play list but can be random depending on my mood.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I agree that many LPs were usually a story and should be played in order. But I always buy the CD rip it listen to the CD a few times and put it away and listen to the file via dock on my stereo the rest of the time.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that many LPs were usually a story and should be played in order. But I always buy the CD rip it listen to the CD a few times and put it away and listen to the file via dock on my stereo the rest of the time.
I do the same but I still tend to call up the whole album as opposed to just shuffling the whole library.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I prefer to listen to albums as opposed to play lists. I usually find a band that I like and go with it for a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Pioneer SA-9100 with an IPOD and Zero 100 onboard. Most times the album front to end but sometimes the IPOD is put into use in the random mode.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Prefer my Sirius XM Radio (internet). Pick the channel for the mood i'm in and rock out.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
I like to listen to an album start to finish usually on CD, though I have a handful of vinyl albums. If I know I won't have time to listen all the way through, I'll just fire up the Apple TV and pick randomly from my iTunes library or Spotify. I use Spotify quite a bit during the day at work.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I mostly listen to a disc (CD, SACD, DVD-A) from start to finish, but have started streaming Slacker from my Blu-Ray player for variety.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It depends on the music I'm playing. Some selections cry out for the entire CD/LP to be played. With others it may be as few as a single selection. CD or LP it doesn't matter. My mood and what I want to hear make the difference.

If I'm in my eccentric DJ mode there is no telling what will come up next. In the summer I open my door and windows and sort of entertain my neighbors (I live in a row house), One of them once asked me "What radio station are you listening to?"

·
Registered
125 Posts
I listen to music all day at work. I use a streaming service (Rdio), and I like to queue up the whole album. The quality is actually pretty ok, but not quite CD. At home, I like to listen to the whole album, but my fiance only likes to listen to certain songs or parts of albums - she has what I call "Radio ADD". She is all about making playlists or picking-and-choosing in the moment.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I voted for playlist but after thinking about it for a few minutes I really listen more to the whole album than playlists.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I rip the CD to a hard drive and listen to whole albums.
I actually like to listen to an artist's catalog of albums in chronological order.
This is my at home listening preference, which is reflected in the poll.
When in the vehicle the song catalog is played in alphabetical order, sometimes we try to guess what the next song will be.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I usually listen to Pandora and most of the time it is set to randomly shuffle through my seven "stations". If I break out a CD, cassette, or LP I listen from beginning to end.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since my preference is vinyl, whole album start to finish. Even with CDs, I'm assuming most artists have a reason for the way they lay down and organise the tracks. With progressive rock, it's a given.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
yeah I'm with Rab-byte. I like albums as compositions on a theme or at least the tracks arranged to give
a sense of completeness

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
For casual listening, we stream from Pandora or from our HTPC (has over 1000 albums on it - many years of collections). But, for 'critical' listening, I do listen to specific songs from CD, SACD, DVD-A, and yes, LP's.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I prefer to listen to an album from start to finish. But that being said I listen to so much music online that I tend to do a lot of playlist listening also. Hard to chose. but seeing I have not purchased anything new in many years I will have to vote playlist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I can set aside the time, I prefer an album from start to finish. In the car, it's usually a playlist (songs selected for optimal "keep me awake on long drives") or an audiobook. At home, albums (whether streamed from iTunes or an actual disc) are my preference when I'm actually sitting down to listen. Playlists are my option for parties and as background music for chores or exercise.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts