Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a questions for those audiophile gurus,

I have a stereo receiver with a dedicated LFE output for my sub, however, there are 2x binding posts on my subwoofer. I want to sum the L & R input binding posts to connect the single output wire to my mono amp.

How can I do this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am aware of this, however, my amplifier is mono, I have a banana plug / binding post connection I am putting on the back of my subwoofer to hook it up. I want to make a cable from RCA to banana plug. Would that not work?

·
Registered
306 Posts
ok so what you have is 2 binding posts on your sub and you want to know how to connect it to the sub amp? that is easier.

NO you cannot go from a RCA to bananna plug. RCA cables carry a low level signal (before amplification) and cannot be connected to a speaker in any way shape or form.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I am a little lost here, I am trying to go from the LFE (sub out) on my HTR, running a cable to via rca connector to my subwoofer (which I got banana connectors to hook it up). I can't use an RCA on one end and separate the +/- to connect the banana connectors to the posts? I do not understand how that won't work... sorry for the noobism's.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
If those banana connectors on the sub connect directly to the subs speaker, then you cannot feed those bananas with a line-level signal from a receivers LFE out.

The LFE out must be fed to an external power amplifier, which in turn feeds the bananas and the subs speaker.

brucek

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is this "mono amplifier" amplifier a seperate item that is to power the sub, or are you referring to a "mono" LFE output on the back of your receiver?

I am trying to determine if you have a passive sub with a seperate amplifier or if your powered sub only has binding post inputs.....

If it is a powered sub with binding post only, you would not use the LFE output on the receiver. You would need to run (additional) speaker cables from the right and left speaker terminals on the back of the receiver. Esentially, you would have four speaker cables. Two to the L&R mains and two to the L&R binding post on the back of the subwoofer.

Does the subwoofer have RCA jacks too, or only bananna plugs?

I am a little lost by your post/description. Model numbers of the sub, amplifier, and receiver would help.

-Phil

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, here is a description of my HTR and subwoofer combination:

HTR = Yamaha HTR 5840

Powered Subwoofer = Acoustic Research Box and 8" woofer with new guts.

Subwoofer guts = Velleman K8060 Mono Amp, subwoofer crossover & banana plug terminals only.

I have mounted the components to a new plexiglass plate that fits the subwoofer amp cut out on the back, but I am having issues with a steady hum when power is applied but it still plays sound fairly well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol awesome, well, this board is not made specifically for subwoofers, however it is used for any audio application from loudspeakers to guitar amps. I used it as a retro fit for the existing subwoofer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I got it all hooked up, and it works!

Small kink I need to work out still is the subwoofer hums when I have no music or audio playing, but it goes away when I mute my HTR. I think it has to do with the power wires from the AC/DC transformer creating interference with the amp wires... I may need to insulate them but how do I do this? :wits-end:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts