Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building three subwoofers (a RSS390HO-4, RSS315HF and a rebuild of a dead Polk PSW650). I am thinking of applying maple veneer on at least one box, but I am chamfering the edges of the boxes. How do you trim the veneer on the 45 degree cuts on the edges? I normally use a laminate trimmer on my router but it only works on 90 degree edges... My guess is to use a very sharp blade on them but that can be a bit ragged. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

:scratch:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ive used a very clean fine file and you run it along the edge of the Laminate (using it like a knife), I wonder if that same procedure would work on the veneer?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've only done it on a 90, but I use a fresh razor knife to trim most of the excess and then sand flush. Don't see why that wouldn't work in this case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will also add the snap-off knife works better for me than a regular utility knife. You can keep a sharp blade easier, and being thinner you can keep it flatter against the work surface. I also hold a piece of scrap on the back side to cut against to keep the veneer from pushing out while you're trying to cut.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just saw something interesting... A Japanese flush cut saw. The blade flexes so it will be able to trim the edges pretty cleanly. Woodworkers use to to trim plugs... They sell them at Woodcraft.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A cheap snap of knife job glue veneer down. When dry turn over and cut flush and then sand.
When cutting a piece against another piece of veneer masking tape the cut bit up then press knife against that to cut the other bit as flush as you can then after remove tape and sand. And most important take your time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just saw something interesting... A Japanese flush cut saw. The blade flexes so it will be able to trim the edges pretty cleanly. Woodworkers use to to trim plugs... They sell them at Woodcraft.
Most don't come pre cut so you need to sharpen them onus self.

I also have a radzi veneer flush trimmer and its awful the way above it easier and less chance of mucking up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts