Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken delivery of two used CCS SDX-15 drivers and they appear to be in good condition. Is it possible to test them without an enclosure? I have a RS spl meter and a QSC RMX505 amp. I don't have a test DVD and would appreciate a recommendation. I have a blu-ray if that matters.

Thanks in advance!

John

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have taken delivery of two used CCS SDX-15 drivers and they appear to be in good condition. Is it possible to test them without an enclosure? I have a RS spl meter and a QSC RMX505 amp. I don't have a test DVD and would appreciate a recommendation. I have a blu-ray if that matters.

Thanks in advance!

John
My first tests for a driver of unknown history are as follows.

Using a DVM I check the coils to ensure that the DC resistance is about what I'd expect from the spec sheets; most DVMs have poor accuracy at the bottom of their ranges so if you are expecting 2.5Ω and get 2Ω or 3Ω then that's fine. What you don't want is a short or open circuit. Then press down evenly on the cone with each hand 180° apart to see if I can feel any scraping. If I do, I look for the cause or send it back. Second I connect a poweramp and use a low frequency signal of a few Hz (soundacrd and free oscillator software is all that's needed) starting at a low level and slowly increasing it until near Xmax. You shouldn't hear any sound unless there is a fault. If all of this checks OK, the drivers is most likely OK and I'll then test it in box.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks A9X,

I have a good Fluke 8060 A and both drivers measure very close to 2 ohms. I feel no scraping when pressing down on the cones. All that is left is to get the oscillator software.

These are BIG drivers!

Thanks again for the help.

John

·
Registered
790 Posts
Glad to help. My feeling is they'll be OK, but you can never tell if some maroon has abused them earlier, but that's fairly hard to do with home sub drivers; PA drivers are more prone to this.

Best of luck with them and please start a design and build thread here, there are already a few bulds I've seen of them, and Illka tested a couple of DIY versions in the tests he did.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to help. My feeling is they'll be OK, but you can never tell if some maroon has abused them earlier, but that's fairly hard to do with home sub drivers; PA drivers are more prone to this.

Best of luck with them and please start a design and build thread here, there are already a few bulds I've seen of them, and Illka tested a couple of DIY versions in the tests he did.
I still have a few parts to gather but I will start a build thread.

Thanks again,

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts