Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tested various positions in the ceiling for where I may install my IB setup, but I need to know how far back would be considered too far without causing any problems? Currently, the best place based on measurements, is slightly off center and about 4-5 feet in front of the listening position.

I can't imagine that would cause many problems, since I do know that putting them actually behind the LP could be troublesome, but is that position too close to the LP? I am only putting one manifold in (WAF requirements) so there is not another sub location other than the 8" woofers on the ML Theos mains.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Subs as long as crossed over below 80Hz are non directional so it really should not matter where you place it other than room gain caused by placing it in a corner. The challenge of course is in your case its not movable once placed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subs as long as crossed over below 80Hz are non directional so it really should not matter where you place it other than room gain caused by placing it in a corner. The challenge of course is in your case its not movable once placed.
Yeah I am planning on crossing over at 80Hz and this spot is the best spot I could find that tamed my room gain at ~40Hz should it be placed closer to the front and in line with my mains.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Souldent matter, it does not need to be placed near your mains. Many people place the sub at the rear of the room behind the seating. I have mine along the right wall about 1/3 of the room.
I think the one thing you are supposed to avoid is the center of the room.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Souldent matter, it does not need to be placed near your mains. Many people place the sub at the rear of the room behind the seating. I have mine along the right wall about 1/3 of the room. I think the one thing you are supposed to avoid is the center of the room.
Well mine is technically going to be close to center, as in centered in the living room area, but I am in an open concept floor plan, so my living room is completely open to the kitchen and a long entry hall. Seems like I may be good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts