Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How fast is fast enough for online gaming & streaming?

So I was just wondering how fast is enough for most in this day and age?

My house is wired throughout w/ cat5 and cat6 as well as wifi w/ good enough speed to stream movies in HD while others are doing the same. It hasn't always this way though, I remember back in the early days of XboxLive nobody could even surf the web while my son or I were playing our favorite games online and forget about getting two Xboxes online at the same time. Now, we can have multiple consoles online while others are streaming / downloading movies, playing PC games w/o any issues, all at the same time.

Below are my wired and Wifi speeds.

Wired speed
Spoiler

Wifi speed
Spoiler

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
My house is wired throughout w/ cat5 and cat6 as well as wifi w/ good enough speed to stream movies in HD while others are doing the same. It hasn't always this way though, I remember back in the early days of XboxLive nobody could even surf the web while my son or I were playing our favorite games online and forget about getting two Xboxes online at the same time. Now, we can have multiple consoles online while others stream / download movies, play PC games w/o any issues at all.

So I was just wondering how fast is enough for most in this day and age? Below are my wired and Wifi speeds.

Wired speed
Spoiler

Wifi speed
Spoiler
lol, that's more than enough for gaming speeds. you really don't need a lot of heardroom, as long as it's dedicated. it really has more to do with the latency rather than your speeds though

·
Registered
87 Posts
You're fine with those speeds. A lot of it depends on your latency (ping time). Your download and upload speeds are fine.

What wireless router are you using? Some have a feature called QoS (Quality of Service) that you can utilize to give preference to gaming traffic over streaming or web surfing. You might see if that is an option if you do run into any problems.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you should also take into account display input lag. It seems to get overlooked all too often.
Good point, ty

My CRT being fed a 1080i info from 360 = Zero lag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts