Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some pictures on this forum with a iphone used as a SPL meter. I have a simple SPL meter on my iphone that I got just for fun. Can the iphone be used as a reliable and accurate SPL meter? Or should I invest in a simple dedicated SPL meter.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
should I invest in a simple dedicated SPL meter
Yes. You require a calibration file for SPL meters that we supply free on our download page for Radio Shack meters - they're quite inexpensive.

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts
Can the iphone be used as a reliable and accurate SPL meter? Or should I invest in a simple dedicated SPL meter.
If you're using the Behringer ECM8000 mic / Xenyx 802 mixer combo to take your measurements, then any SPL meter will do (assuming it's reasonably accurate, of course). If you intend to use the SPL meter to take the measurements, then you'll want the Radio Shack meter w/ our calibration file.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
While the iphone is certainly not a reference mic or meter, it is a pretty neat application. If it was just a few bucks I'd probably get it just as a toy and a learning tool for my kids. $20 is just a bit much, however.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While the iphone is certainly not a reference mic or meter, it is a pretty neat application. If it was just a few bucks I'd probably get it just as a toy and a learning tool for my kids. $20 is just a bit much, however.
Although it doesn't look as "pretty", SPL only costs $7.99. It works well enough for satisfying your curiosity about how loud your buddy snores, or the ambient noise in your back yard.

You don't run around with your SPL meter in hand, but you always have your iPhone.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Doesn't everyone carry their SPL meter? Am I the only real geek here?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not really, I have one with me every show I go to...working with different equipment, but i love to play my music at the same level at all times...:sweat:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts