Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please let me know how often you have changed lamps in your projectors!!!

Well, I just changed the second lamp on my Optoma H78-DC3 after 630 hours and about 9 months (of course after the 6 month warranty). The first lamp was replaced after about 500 hours. :(

The first lamp was replaced because the lamp was so dim the projector couldn't adjust the brightness up high enough to display the colors properly. The bulb did not burn out and did not trigger a lamp fault indication on the projector.

The second lamp triggers the lamp fault and shuts the projector down. I can turn the projector off and then on again and the projector would start up....but not always. So I changed the bulb.

I run the projector in "normal" mode, not "bright" mode so I'm not running the bulb at high output.

Ok, I'm not being picky since I don't have a problem changing a lamp every year. Just the cost of doing business as far as I'm concerned. I just wish the lamp would last for one year. My previous Yamaha DPX-1 lamps would last between 700 and 1,000 hours with no problem, but those lamps were rated for 1,000 hours. No complaint there. (Granted, I ended up getting rid of the Yammie after 2 1/2 years after the DLP driver board blew and repairs would have cost almost as much as the Optoma I replaced it with.) But Optoma says the lamps should last for 2,000 to 3,000 hours.

Does anybody think I should send the projector into the factory for a "checkup"?
After the first lamp went very dim the factory said to send the projector in for service. But if all it needed was a lamp they would change the lamp and charge me bench time + the lamp + shipping. That didn't make sense to me then when changing the lamp is so easy (even a caveman can do it). I changed the lamp and everything was OK. So I figured that was that, problem solved. But now I have this problem with the second bulb after just over 600 hours.

I'm just not having good luck with projectors :spend:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Definitely, It sounds like your either getting bad bulbs or something is wrong with the projector. If I had to change 2 bulbs before the thing was a year old I would definitely get it checked out! Optoma's customer service is EXCELLENT! I did a warranty through them and they never even asked me for proof of purchase or anything...so I'd give them a call or email and ask them about it.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I would send it in also.

the cost of bulbs is too high to replace after 5-600 hours.
plus if they find something wrong with the PJ, they might just give you a free bulb.

You might also check to see that your mounting conditions aren't adding extra heat.

I have an epson PJ behind a glass window in my setup.
my old projector was rear venting so it wasnt a problem.
the epson is front venting so it's throwing heat right at the window.
All that heat is getting trapped, so I added a $10 box fan to the shelf, and blow air over the whole area, now it's nice and cool...

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I think I would be jumping up and down on somebody if my lamp only lasted for those short hours..
That's terrible...Definitely sound like a bad unit...
I would be asking for two replacement lamps after all that trouble..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Is the unit in an area where it's building up heat? That'll cook 'em QUICK!
If it's "out in the open", that's WAAAYY to often to be messing with high dollar bulbs.
Are you buying the bulbs from the manufacturer, or "O.E." bulbs, not some cheap "off brand" bulb?
Does this unit have an air filter that may be clogged? That'll buld up heat too.

My Sanyo PLV Z2 is about one year old and runs 2-3 hours almost every night, and runs on the weekends almost ALL DAY. I've never replaced a bulb, and it's not shown any signs that it's getting dimmer.
I've not found where on the menu to find the "HOURS USED" or "LAMP LIFE"..... but I feel at this point I've gotten my monies worth out this bulb.

Call tech support, or email them (IMHO)

Bob

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it's in the open in an area where the AC duct blows past it.
I only buy OEM bulbs directly from Optoma (or any equipment manufacturer).
I use my projector almost every day for 3 to 4 hours straight.
Yes, the filters are kept clean and the unit is kept clean of dust.
Yes, the unit is on an APC SmartUPS that has AVR (auto voltage regulation).

To be honest, I'm just tired of sending equipment back to factories and waiting. I've got many nightmare stories that I just don't want to get into.

But, I'll see if Optoma can do anything for me :praying:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
My first lamp lasted about 480 hours. It developed a 'flickering' problem. Sent it back to Mitsubishi and they replaced the lamp for free. They also stated that the lamp should last at least 2000 hours with the average being 3000-3500 hours.

It could be a bad ballast.

mech

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
majorloser, I have an Optoma H31 with about 3200 hours on the original bulb. You definitely have a problem. You might want to check your line voltage for surges (get a voltage cleaner/regulator if necessary). Is your projector properly ventilated? Make sure to keep it free of dust. It does sound like a projector problem, but, the above issues could be contributing to the problem. If you have the "high altitude" setting on your proj. use it as it will speed up the fan and keep the bulb cooler. Let us know what happens. Dennis

G

·
We had a Panasonic here at work eat bulbs like that. It ended up being a bad power board in the Projector itself. Panasonic replaced the bulb, the board, and sent us a second bulb for the first one that blew prematurely.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We had a Panasonic here at work eat bulbs like that. It ended up being a bad power board in the Projector itself. Panasonic replaced the bulb, the board, and sent us a second bulb for the first one that blew prematurely.
Wow that is good service from Panasonic. Wish they had service like that here in Oz. Only horror stories of 500hr lamps and of sorry service here with Pana, although thankfully I never had to use them on my ae700 - was at 1200hrs and dim when I sold on that pj - it would never have lasted the 3000-5000hrs marketing spiel due to fading brightness (only had 4fL on a 108" screen on high lamp at last calibration). Sold it with a new lamp from price japan so new owner was very happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I have an Optoma EP719, and it's been almost 4 years, and the lamp still works. I've just started using it regularly to watch TV on the DirecTV HDDVR last year during the Olympics. Before that it was just to watch movies. I don't know how much longer it will last.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Just FYI. I retired my Optoma H31 proj. for a BenQ W5000. The Optoma has 7,000 on the original bulb and is still going strong! If anyone wants to buy it, I am including a new bulb, but, It will be interesting to see exactly how long the original bulb will go! Dennis

·
Registered
214 Posts
It is great to hear some of these stories. Most of the post you read are about problems, when I got my pj, I was expecting to change out the bulb every year or sooner. My bulb is rated at 4000 hours, so if I get even close to half of that, I will be pumped.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well I hate to bust up the Optoma love affair,:rolleyes: But my HD72 is on it's 3rd bulb and none have gone past 900hrs. The first time I sent it back they said it was the bulb and so I replaced it even though I mentioned that people were having problems with what was thought to be a bad ballast desiegn. They denied it and when the new bulb went out at 870hrs the PJ was out of warranty and Optoma said too bad soo sad. Then said for 350 bucks they could replace the ballast:no: I have a Benq that has 2300hrs on it and is still working fine. Personally I will never buy another Optoma but you may have better luck. I hope you do.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The most important factor is the frequency of starting the lamp. One should avoid shutting down and restarting over brief periods. The start cycle applies very high voltage pulses to start the arc and wears the lamp faster than running it, to a point. The break-even point is probably somewhere between 1-4 hours of use, according to reps from Osram and Philips.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts