Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You linked to it once already. More is not necessary. I read it and made my comment because it left out the single most important consideration in lamp life, start cycles.

I researched the issue of cool down many times with engineers from the manufacturers of the projectors and the lamps. The ones who know more than just repeating the owner's manual understand that thermal lag and uneven cooling are not a significant issue in most projectors. It certainly is good advice to let it cool properly, but not the only, nor the most important issue.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
My optoma H31 (which is for sale) has over 7,000 on the original bulb. It was still strong when I replaced the projector. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Bulb life can be dramatically affected by the climate you live in as well. If you live in a location that is very hot and your A/C does not work well or you dont have any that will kill a bulb a lot faster as well. Projector placement is also crucial in that it must be able to breath properly good air flow around it is a must. Remember that heat rises and if your projector is right against the ceiling that can also create problems.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Panny 700: 5.5 years on the original bulb. It's used exclusively for movie watching a couple of times per week and has about 3000 hours on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My optoma H31 (which is for sale) has over 7,000 on the original bulb. It was still strong when I replaced the projector. Have fun. Dennis
Wow. That's pretty impressive. LIke the post between ours mentions, did you have the AC on it, good airflow, and economode? Or any combination of these?

·
Banned
440 Posts
My projector LCD video lamp I think its rated at 2500 hours and I must have used 200 or so over the past few months ON and OFF it hardly gets used as I’m aware cost isn’t cheap and (home cinema is non-profit) other than cinema so use wisely don’t show it off all the time.

Lamps for my LCD are around £250.00 so sometime soon I’d have to get a replacement ready for the change over.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Panasonic PT-AX200 which started the infamous flicker at just 300 hours. I bought it off a solo man company who fought me over replacing it; I went to what we call the "Disputes Tribunal" here in NZ who ruled that he had to pay me out for the price of a new bulb. I have yet to see any actual money however... :rant:

Untill I see any money I'll be putting up with the flicker.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Why not just re-lamp it and when he pay's you you will be all set. I don't know if I could put up with my pj flickering all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
In answer to a specific question about my Optoma H31, I used the econo mode exclusively as my HT room is dark. It had good ventilation, but, did shut down on occasion when it got too hot. Dennis

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Panasonic PT-AX200 which started the infamous flicker at just 300 hours. I bought it off a solo man company who fought me over replacing it; I went to what we call the "Disputes Tribunal" here in NZ who ruled that he had to pay me out for the price of a new bulb. I have yet to see any actual money however... :rant:

Untill I see any money I'll be putting up with the flicker.
Just curious. What mode are you watching in?

I had the same problem. My remedy that worked was running in Dynamic Mode overnight (almost 8 hours), and shut it off in the morning. When I got home and turned on the game. No more flickers. I watch exclusively in Normal mode.

I've checked around and the wives tale is the lower powered modes don't burn equally and that causes the flicker.

All I know is I tried it and it worked for me. When I did this my bulb had 240 hours on it. I'm now at 1800 hours and haven't had a flicker since. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an Optoma projector, and the original bulb exploded after 600-ish hours (literally exploded - glass flying and smoke everywhere). The replacement bulb is in the 500 hour range and is visibly dimmer than it started, and it takes almost a minute to warm up when the projector is turned on. The projector is mounted in the open and has good airflow around it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have an Optoma projector, and the original bulb exploded after 600-ish hours (literally exploded - glass flying and smoke everywhere).
This seems to be a reoccurring theme with Optoma projectors. I have hears of about 10 people that have had this problem just here on this forum. Not good at all.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
My Optoma H31's original bulb is still working with a decent picture at almost 7,000 hours! I have replaced the projector, but, will sell the Optoma with the old bulb still in it. However, I am throwing in a new bulb to the buyer. Have fun. Dennis

21 - 39 of 39 Posts