Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made a decision on my setup. I'm going to use a 18w x 20h x 52L enclosure (approx 10.5 cu ft) to house a Tempest-X2 15". I want to configure the driver in a downfiring position which should be ok because the box will sit on 6"-8" legs. I will take the slot port starting from the bottom-up about 16" or so and then a right turn down the length of the box.

Is it ok to have a downfiring sub 6-8 inches off a carpeted floor?

How do I configure the slot port length?

dan

·
Registered
704 Posts
What's your desired tuning frequency? How large an opening are you willing to use for the port exit?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I haven't modeled the Tempest X2 yet but you should be able to tune to 17Hz in 10.5 cuft. So let's see... Your proposed enclosure is 18" W, so assuming your side baffles are 0.75" MDF, that means you could leave an opening 16.5" wide. If you make the port 3" tall, then to hit 17Hz you'll need the length to be about 38 inches.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't modeled the Tempest X2 yet but you should be able to tune to 17Hz in 10.5 cuft. So let's see... Your proposed enclosure is 18" W, so assuming your side baffles are 0.75" MDF, that means you could leave an opening 16.5" wide. If you make the port 3" tall, then to hit 17Hz you'll need the length to be about 38 inches.
Thanks, David.

I plan on leaving a 16.5" wide opening-3" tall-which will travel up about 17"-then take a right turn for another 21". That sound good? What if the port is longer(say 4-6") what effect might it have?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts