Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 200 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have four working systems at the moment and a room for gear presently not in use. The main systems speakers costs are as follows: home theater using custom factory Klipsch Jubilee speakers approx. $9000 plus the Danley Sound Labs DTS-10 horn subwoofer around $1000, 2-channel digital using Marting Logan Prodigy approx. $ 12000, 2-channel vinyl rig using DIY approx. $3000 spent (would cost about $10000 if purchased, vintage system using Altec Valencia appox. $800. The gear covers the spectrum: McIntosh, Conrad Johnson, Krell, Carver, Shanling, Clearaudio, Spread Spectrum Technologies, Oppo, Onkyo, Yamaha, JBL, Parasound, Pioneer, and on... call it a hobby, passion, obsession, lunacy.
That's very impressive! I'd love to get my ears on the Jubilees some day

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Custom finished Martin Logan Vantages with matching Depth-i sub ~$8000

Pioneer elite SC-05 ~$1800 new

Yamaha 5 disc sacd/DVD-A player great deal @ $100

Project Debut III turn table ~$350

Panamax power center ~$350

= ~$10600 so far

(Already had PS3, TV, Wii, and TV stand)

Wife who indulges my obsession :priceless:

·
Registered
21 Posts
My current speakers are DIY 2 ch. I spent about $30 on the drivers and about that on the x-overs, The cabinets are refurbed from a garage sale ($5) add in my time and other stuff I added to the boxes and I'm around $100. The amp is an older Awia and a Denon 5disc dvd/cd player.

I'm starting a build today that will be using another DIY design (total cost outlay about $300) and will use a pair of towers with dual 4" drivers and a single tweeter and a seperate 8" powered sub. A sony processor and the same dvd player. A dayton amp will drive the fronts. No center, no surrounds (room simply is not large enough to make them worthwile). Total for all components is still under $700.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know the question only asks about speakers, not components, but many people seem to be including their other gear as well, and it is very interesting to see, so I will contribute too:

Receiver: Pioneer SX-1980 $1500 & Pioneer SX-980 $500
Tape Deck: Nakamichi Dragon $750 (have a lot of cassettes & plan to record new ones to metal tape)
TV: 52" LCD Phillips (never watch it) $2000
Subwoofer: Velodyne DD-15 $1500
Speakers: EPI-200B $300 & hopefully soon to have Rocket RS850 Sigs $1250 (with some upgrades)
Turntables: Bang & Olufsen Beogram 8000 (MM20CL cartridge) and 8002 (MMC2 cartridge) $2000 for both (have lots of vinyl)
CD & DVD players were gifts & are probably unremarkable late models (Sony & Panasonic)
Plan on a different CD player, but I haven't decided what to go after...maybe the Nakamichi Dragon, but we'll see...

Still working on cables and interconnects. Project in progress...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I wanted to spend around 500-750$... Searched for speaker information on google. Ended here... And spent 2000$ (That include all the shipping, taxe and brokerage fee to canada).

But I love my Onkyo TX-SR608 and my SVS S2 serier 5.0 speaker :) My DIY subwoofer sound amazing.

Now I kind of like the SVS quality and find that the M serie look nice :sarcastic:

And I have a nice subwoofer project in my head for this summer that will certainly cost me 1000 to 1250$.

So yeah guy you make me spend alot of money but my ears can now enjoy some good sound :R I don`t know where this will end but I bet in a few years I will have spend a few more hundred or thousand $$

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Polk LSi9, LSi7, and LSiC used... but with my passive subwoofers not including amps or dsp...

About $2500 for speakers only.

If I didn’t find the deal on the polks I would have ended up buying something more expensive as there wasn’t much I found at the price I wanted to pay.

I can agree with others... 1k for 5 speakers seems somewhat budgetary especially if ur hanging out at these forums not at best buy looking got a home theater in a box.

My finished humble baller on a budget HT was about $7,000 complete.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Energy RC-10 $300
Orb Audio Super Eight $0

Energy RC-50 $503
Energy RC-LCR $302
Energy CB-5 $60

Not counting amplification and all that stuff, only $1165 :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Stealthlude said:
If I didn’t find the deal on the polks I would have ended up buying something more expensive as there wasn’t much I found at the price I wanted to pay.

I can agree with others... 1k for 5 speakers seems somewhat budgetary especially if ur hanging out at these forums not at best buy looking got a home theater in a box.

Agreed
You'll tend to have your budget bumped up by researching before you buy but you will be much happier and will not be upgrading as soon.

I would say that you can still find good options at brick and mortar shops (big boxes included) the trick is to find someone at the store who is knowledgeable and trustworthy. Not always the easiest thing to accomplish. Especially the knowledgable part. I worked in an MHT (magnolia home theater) for 5 years before moving to the install side and I'll tell you not everyone takes their job seriously but the people who do are wonderful resources.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Eton Symphony 7 kits ~$1,200
ScanSpeak Rediscovery kit ~$600
Emotiva ERD-1s ~$289
2 DIY subs ~$1,000
Does not include electronic crossovers and amps that are integral to the speakers.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've done a bit of research on the Yamaha's with the Berrylium tweeters and they measure like other speakers of their age. I know how the nostalgia bug is though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The roughly $4000 I spent in 1989 when`inflation adjusted is $7389 in today's money. BTW that includes 4 ESL's and one dual woofer system.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Retail on mine would likely be around 4.5k (7k USD) including amp and cables but Ive paid a nice chunk less :D
Getting a good deal adds to the enjoyment, no? :spend: Are we including amps and cables? My Exposure 2010S amp, MIT and Ultralink cables cost a bit. And I honestly don't know how many speakers I have around here, I have old junk, new in the box and everything in between. So I'll just post about my primaries.

My current modest speaker system:

- B&W 602S3
- Sanus stands (gotta have stands)
- CHT CS-18.T Duo

Retail: $2096
Actual: $1275

New mains are on the horizon, hopefully this fall or sooner. Possibly going with a waveguide/controlled directivity design, maybe even a DIY.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
My Rockets and MFW....the typicAl 2600k including shipping. Powered by an onkyo tx-sr876 which was about $950.

My Infinity Beta setup (four beta 20s, one beta c250) was about $250, plus $130 for a used BIC h100. Good deals! Powered by a Harman kardon avr-247, Which was $220.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have polk monitor 50's and center channel and surrounds are owm3's polk psw-10 375$ for all of it and receiver is pioneer vsx1020-k for 375$ sounds amazing.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I have polk monitor 50's and center channel and surrounds are owm3's polk psw-10 375$ for all of it and receiver is pioneer vsx1020-k for 375$ sounds amazing.
Hello,
Welcome to HTS. I am so glad you are happy with your HT and you definitely choose gear which offers excellent performance and value.
Cheers,
JJ

181 - 200 of 334 Posts