Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 334 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
IMO, it all depends on what you are looking for. I am new to the Hi-Fi scene but my first system was a JBL sat system for $700 dollars. At first I thought it sounded great until I went to my buddy's house. BIG MISTAKE. Now for speakers and sub I am sitting right around $4000, but I am sure if if I went to someone else's house with 25k speakers I would love those too. Do it in stages, easier to get your internal better half to sign off.

Wait till you buy a sub, don't realize how big the thing is, and then your wife freaks. hahaha

Just my two cents.

S

·
0 Posts
Polk Rti8's pair - $400 from frys
Polk Rti4's pair + stands - $250

Subwoofer: PB12- ISD - $250 from Craigslist.

currently running phantom center which I am quite happy with.

total - $900 and this kicks *** for HT

·
Registered
65 Posts
Speaker System

System audio sa1750-1,300.00 slightly used
System audio sa720av (center)-750.00 never used
System audio sa505 (sur) -325.00 new
Martin logan grotto -750.00 new.
Total 3,100.00

If i would of purchased all new it would of run me approx 5,400.+

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
You managed to find some great deals there!

The NS1000 is one of those speakers I've always wanted to hear, but have not yet managed to find.
Yes I am on ebay 3 times a day since 2 years to get the best deals on thoses speakers. If you are ok to pay 1500$ you could get a NS-1000M in a relative short time...

JP

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I showed my wife some of these replies and.....

realized she'll never understand:hissyfit:!

Now I'm not getting any younger and at 42 my number could come up any time. I did show her some of the replies to my ? and she had the nerve to say the wimpy HTiB speakers were fine:coocoo: , I just need to get my hearing checked:unbelievable: . I tried to argue the point that the wimpy HTiB speakers were mono (1 speaker per box) and that they could never reproduce sound effectively. Her reply was yeah but there's 5 of them plus the sub:explode:. Then went on to say that when our youngest son (14) moves out I could get any speaker system I wanted:gah:, I told her by then I could be pushing daisies!

I will get my speakers now not later no matter what the cost, I will sell the wife and buy my speakers and she knows this too! I use to have other hobbies (fishing, camping/hiking, bowling, tennis and billiards) but had to cut back or stop them all together after being rear-ended (Auto Accident) in 2004, that's when I got hooked on HT. So, with that said I want to thank everyone again for all of your support, replies and wisdom.

hyghwayman

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: I showed my wife some of these replies and.....

Hywayman...with all due respect; selling your wife (given her ummm disposition) seems like a VERY hard sell!
Good luck with your speakers and your hobby and life...
Cheers,
Konky.
It's times like these that make me realise just how good I have it with my wife...she loves my hobby almost as much as I do...:yay:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Re: I showed my wife some of these replies and.....

... I tried to argue the point that the wimpy HTiB speakers were mono (1 speaker per box) and that they could never reproduce sound effectively. Her reply was yeah but there's 5 of them plus the sub:explode:...
I think it will be hard for you to convince her ... until she heard the difference :yes::yes::yes:

...I will get my speakers now not later no matter what the cost, I will sell the wife and buy my speakers and she knows this too! ...
Like they say "Better ask for forgiveness than permission" ... hopefully this won't cause you a problem with your wife.

Did you decide What are you getting??? ... if you can try this aproach: buy a pair of speakers for your front and swap them when she is not at home, I'm sure after she hears the difference she will let you buy anything you want :bigsmile::bigsmile:

I have this Stadium http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Venue-Stadium-8-Inch-Speaker/dp/B000FD3W1G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202163315&sr=8-3) , you can find it cheap but you need to check the price almost everyday (I paid $160 ea) or you can get this Arena http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Venue-Arena-6-Inch-Speakers/dp/B000FBS3US/ref=pd_bbs_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202163315&sr=8-10 ... they're smaller but the frequency response is almost the same (look at the price ... good oportunity to get a pair for the front :bigsmile:)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hywayman...with all due respect; selling your wife (given her ummm disposition) seems like a VERY hard sell!
Cheers,
Konky.
:yay:
Well, sell was a little harsh and devorce is out of the question, just very frustrated right now.

I think it will be hard for you to convince her ... until she heard the difference :yes::yes::yes:
Did you decide What are you getting??? ... if you can try this aproach: buy a pair of speakers for your front and swap them when she is not at home, I'm sure after she hears the difference she will let you buy anything you want :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:)
I had tried that with our new HDTV and by the end of the day she had me at my :wits-end:. She didn't see the need for a bigger TV when the one we had worked. If it was her choice we would still be watching on our old 19" TV. So she will not be involved in this buying option for fear of ending up with a Bose system:scared:.

I have found the speakers I want to get, it's the SVS SBS-01 system. I was over at a friends house a while back and heard them. My buddy allowed me to listen to them all afternoon and I must say I was blown away.

hyghwayman

·
Registered
228 Posts
Like others said, get her to listen to the better speakers. Try to sample a dvd or cd that you have and listen to it before you go to a store, take it with you too. I got my girlfriend to agree to upgrading by getting her to listen to the speakers I had selected.

I started out real cheap, $250 or so. Next step was $500 for 5.1 with a sub I still use. Then it gets interesting. I got a set of Polk Lsi15s for the fronts at a killer price of $399 for the pair. I have a Polk LsiC coming for $356.95. Rears are going to hurt though. I want the Polk LsiFX and the best price I've found is $660.91. I'll probably have about $1800 in speakers. That's at the prices I paid, the Lsi15s go for anywhere from $650 to $900 each normally.

I really liked my Hsu set-up but just got the bug to go bigger and better. Something you might want to take a look at:
For $1099 plus shipping: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast2.html

·
Registered
204 Posts
My wife finally gave in to the notion that I was unstopable and CRAZY five years ago when I wanted to build my own dedicated Home Theater room with "A Little Help From MY FRiends".

Stereo and Home Theater have been a part of my life since I was 15 years old and bought my first stereo. A Sears Silvertone stereo with AM-FM tuner for $100.00.

My wife has been dealing with my loonisism since 1972. I am pretty blessed.

I recently stepped up to MY dream speakers a part of Abbey Road in my view...B&W 804's along with a JL Audio Fathom 113 subwoofer and a new MX3000 remote. The cost was $14,000 with the programing of the MX3000

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey Rubbersoul...you got by "with a little help from your (my in the song) friends". Congratulations on stellar speakers. You really should buy this month's printed edition of "Home Theater" magazine as they have a couple of wonderful photo and text articles on a tour of the Bowers & Wilkens factory as well as The Abbey Road Studios. Fascinating.
Cheers,
Konky.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Konky,
Thanks for the compliment.
I belong to Home Theaters magazine club and I signed up for three years. I have been reading that magazibne for ten years and finally did a smart thing at one of the Home Theater shows and signed up for three years at a ridiculous low price.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
There are some great deals to be had on speakers if you look hard enough. I got myself some really nice set of Mission 764i tower speakers that would have cost me $1400 new but I payed $200 just the other day and they are in mint condition.
Have a look online at craigslist for example thats where I fond them.
You dont have to spend allot if you look in the right places.

R

·
0 Posts
Bang for the buck, there's some real great values at the 1k price range. The difference between spending $500 or $1000 IMO is huge, much greater than say going from $1000 to $1500.

M

·
0 Posts
Lets see. I have been in this racket for about 10 years. Have gone through some speakers. Not as many as allot of people I think. As time went on, I got more crazy though. The system just kept evolving.
What I will do is list what I started out with and where I am now.
If we just stay with speakers, my first real complete HT setup was the following:
Def tech Profield400's $1098(retail)
(I will jump to my 2nd center) Def Tech C/L/R 1000 $~299(retail)
Def Tech Profield 15 $599(retail)
Polk RT3's $250

Then after a while I did some upgrading. When all was said and done I had the following speakers:
JM Labs 927be $6000(retail)
JM Labs CC-901 $1750(retail)
JM Labs SW900 $1750(retail)
same surrounds

Now at this point there have been a few changes again
Traded the 927's for 1027Be's($7500 at the time) I got them for a steal.
same center
Sub Seaton SubMersive1 with DSP30 EQ and Calibration by Mr.Seaton($3000)
same surrounds.
So you can see that I am vastly different now then I used to be. That is not even including my electronics.
P.S I know some of those totals look like allot. But I would say on most of those speakers I did not pay near retail on them.

C

·
0 Posts
Denon 3806
Denon 2200
Vienna Acoustics 3 Walts and 2 Bachs (all rosewood)
Veloyne SMS-1
Xbox 360
Wii
Monster mk5000
Earthquake MKV12 (piano)
$1500
Fell off a truck:yay:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for all the responses!

I took my wife out to dinner last night, QT well spent I must say. Today we went to several stores auditioning speakers and receivers. She's now willing to let me get the speakers of my choice, although in trade it's going to cost me another $900.oo for a new reclining Sofa that she said we need!

Besides the $900.oo I'm spending on a new reclining Sofa, I also got talked into buying/upgrading my wifes OE car sound system today. Her 95 Olds. Cutlass Supreme receiver didn't have a CD player, so I bought her a JVC KDHD-1 CD player w/ a built in HD Tuner for another $200.oo (the HD audio sounds so good compaired to analog). While waiting for the install, she got a new Leather coat for $150.oo and a new pair of shoes for $55.oo to boot. So for me to get the speakers I want it's costing me another $1,305.oo plus the 1k. Life is Great:yay:!

hyghwayman

T

·
0 Posts
This is my theater set up right out of the box... All Rockets - $2,400.00

Add my SVS sub - $1,100.00

TG

21 - 40 of 334 Posts