G

·
0 Posts
My theater speakers.....PSB stratus Goldi's - spent $1600 5 years ago
PSB c5i $300
PSB Stratus Mini - $500
SVS PB12 Plus/2 - $1100
So total I spent about $3500
Some of these purchase were used, some new.
Jared

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Re: Thanks for all the responses!

I .... So for me to get the speakers I want it's costing me another $1,305.oo plus the 1k. Life is Great:yay:! ...
:rubeyes:

I can't believe it ... you Did it!!!! :bigsmile: :clap: ... even with the extra :spend: you'll get what you wanted :yes:

Congratulations ... enjoy your new toys :T

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

I can't believe it ... you Did it!!!! :bigsmile: :clap: ... even with the extra :spend: you'll get what you wanted :yes:

Thanks, I feel lucky it's not costing me more :whew:.

hyghwayman

·
Registered
147 Posts
hehe, I paid around 4000$ for my 2.1 HTPC. AND i'm still upgrading. thinking of spending another 600 for a completely new sub setup, another 1000$ for a new PC that would support 1080p HD flawlessly, and another 1000-1500$ for some rear speakers so I would have a healthy 4.1setup...

yep this is a lot of money, but when it's well spent, it's well worth it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
hehe, I paid around 4000$ for my 2.1 HTPC. AND i'm still upgrading. thinking of spending another 600 for a completely new sub setup, another 1000$ for a new PC that would support 1080p HD flawlessly, and another 1000-1500$ for some rear speakers so I would have a healthy 4.1setup...

yep this is a lot of money, but when it's well spent, it's well worth it.
Please tell me the Kiddies are not using that PC, it took me about a month of show and tell before I allowed my 14 and 19 yr old boys to operate my Sony 34XBR970 tube HDTV/Xbox360 and I still don't like it:paddle:.

hyghwayman

P.S. ***, I told them to only use the remote to turn on and off. For some reason they either can't remember or just don't listen:wits-end:. Mainly it's the older of the 2 that must push the power button on the 360. My thinking is that is much easier to replace a remote than to get a power button repaired.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Yes it was a complete :surrender:!

hyghwayman

·
Registered
147 Posts
Please tell me the Kiddies are not using that PC, it took me about a month of show and tell before I allowed my 14 and 19 yr old boys to operate my Sony 34XBR970 tube HDTV/Xbox360 and I still don't like it:paddle:.

hyghwayman

P.S. ***, I told them to only use the remote to turn on and off. For some reason they either can't remember or just don't listen:wits-end:. Mainly it's the older of the 2 that must push the power button on the 360. My thinking is that is much easier to replace a remote than to get a power button repaired.
hahahahahha, it is so funny because it's the complete opposite to me, i am the kid and I don't let my parent operate anything, I only let my brother operate the system other than me...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
hahahahahha, it is so funny because it's the complete opposite to me, i am the kid and I don't let my parent operate anything, I only let my brother operate the system other than me...
I wonder if your parents listen better than my boys:dunno:.

hyghwayman

·
Registered
351 Posts

to boot. So for me to get the speakers I want it's costing me another $1,305.oo plus the 1k. Life is Great:yay:!

hyghwayman
Not to add fuel to the fire :devil:, but think about what speakers you could have gotten if you could have added that $1,305 to your speaker budget!

Much to my surprise, my wife brought up going ahead and finishing out an unused part of the basement to the HT we had planned when we built the house. I've been spending my weekends and nights working towards that end. I'm having to finish out a storage space first. I've framed it up, hung drywall and mudded. I'll be priming, painting and hanging the ceiling over the weekend. Once done, I can move the junk out of the HT space and start framing it. If I can finish buy May, I think I'll be doing good!

Doug

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
After being in 2 auto accident in less than a year (Sept. 15th 2004 then Aug. 31 2005) I really needed a new Sofa. My 10+ yr. old sleeper sofa just hurt:thumbsdown:!

Old sofa
:thumbsdown:

new sofa
:T

hyghwayman

·
Registered
969 Posts

I've framed it up, hung drywall and mudded. I'll be priming, painting and hanging the ceiling over the weekend. Once done, I can move the junk out of the HT space and start framing it.
I take it you're doing the suspended ceiling thing? I hope you post up some pics and plans in the Home Theater Construction area.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... I really needed a new Sofa. My 10+ yr. old sleeper sofa just hurt:thumbsdown:! ...
You see what happens when you get upgraditis ...:bigsmile:

I'm glad everything is coming along with your HT ... May I suggest something???

Don't put your seat to close to the back wall ... move it a little to the front (at least a foot):yes: That will help you with the sound.

Another thing ... when you install your new speakers, they don't need to be to low; the experts recommend 2' - 3' above ear level ... so is no problem to have them near the ceiling.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hey guys... please remember to stay on topic... thanks. :T
Thanks Sonnie:T,
It does appear that we have strayed:thud:!

So to kick start us again I'll input my running total to date;

$69.00 - Curtis HTiB w/ passive Subwoofer:thumbsdown:
+$25.00 - Powered 40w Subwoofer
+$250.oo - Pioneer VSX-816k 7.1 SS Receiver
---------
=$344.oo to date but will be upgrading speakers to the SVS SBS-01's w/ PB10-NSD for $999.oo:yay:.

That will take me up to $1249.oo

hyghwayman

·
Registered
351 Posts
To return on topic, although this is future tense:

I'm looking at two possibilities:

1) Ascend/SVS
Ascend CMT-340 fronts (L/R/C
Ascend CMT-170 surrounds
SVS PB-12 NSD Sub
Total: $1717

2) All SVS
5.0 with SCS-01's all around
PB-12 NSD Sub
Total: $1474

Both above before shipping.

I was a little surprised that there was a ~$250 difference between the systems, and that's using smaller surrounds in the Ascend system. In the scheme of things, $250 is not much, especially since I seem to to buy speakers once a decade. OTOH, no reason to buy something I can't hear.

When the room nears, completion, I might order a stereo pair from each and return one. That would depend on whether Ascend would agree to add any system discount if I finished out the system from them. SVS systems have no system discount. I promise if I do this, I'll post my opinions.

Doug

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Those SVS will be nice, but you can save a little $$ by shopping ebay and da kine.

$175 JBL S38ii (C, price is for a pair)
$261 JBL 310ii (L&R)
$100 JBL N24ii (LS&RS)
$115 Athena AS-P300 (Sub)
Total: $651

Pre-310ii setup here. Got the whole thing for ~$3000.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I forced myself to actually think about what I had spent. My 5.1 system has cost me ~$2600 (speakers and powered sub). That includes a pair of "full-range" tower speakers in the front. If I were approaching this now I would choose 5 identical decent quality 6.5 inch 2-way bookshelf shielded speakers. Best possible matching for an integrated sound field and no wasted bass capability as most of us choose to set all of our speakers to "small" anyway. A quality sub system would round out the deal.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Ya I agree that having matching speakers all the way around is one of the best methods...

If I stopped to think about how much I've spent over time on my system I'd have a stroke. I got mine put together the same as everybody else, one piece at a time. I probably owe a lot of it to my trusty steed. The '87 Toyota Truck has kept me out of debt and still runs great!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I haven't spent as much as I could have, for the HT. Its great to find bargains on the net.

List prices: ..................................................Actual cost:
(5) PT800s = $8000/5 .................................$2500/5 new
(2) L212s = $1500/pr......................................500/pr used
(2) SUB1500 = $4000/pr w/Revel amp................500/pr new
..................................................................800 Crown K2 amp
(2) L55s = $552/pr.........................................552/pr new
Total = $14,052..........................................$4852

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here's my current system:

Athena Point 5 System (almost new) -- $165 from Audiogon
Modula MT (DIY) Fronts ~ $250
DIY 15" Dayton DVC Subwoofer ~ $320
Onkyo TX-SR503 Receiver (Refurb) -- $170

Need to finish my entertainment unit!

41 - 60 of 334 Posts