Discussion Starter #61
Here's my current system:

Athena Point 5 System (almost new) -- $165 from Audiogon
Modula MT (DIY) Fronts ~ $250
DIY 15" Dayton DVC Subwoofer ~ $320
Onkyo TX-SR503 Receiver (Refurb) -- $170

Need to finish my entertainment unit!
Nice find:T,
It's :scared:y seeing all of your gear on the floor!

hyghwayman

·
Registered
56 Posts
Luckily nothing seems to overheat, but my first PS3 died within the first night of playing it, so that's why I have it elevated. Guessing I got a lemon, but it doesn't hurt to have better airflow.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Let's see here...I don't think I've ever tallied it all up together at once; probably through fear of the result...LOL! :spend:

Aerial Acoustics 10T (F L/R) $8300.00 w/ dedicated Sound Anchor stands.
Aerial Acoustics CC3B (Center) $2200.00 w/ dedicated Sound Anchor stand.
2 pair of Energy Veritas 2.0RI (4 Rears) $1800.00.
2 X Definitive Technology 1500TL+ (Subs) $1800.00. (looking to sell these and upgrade)

Total: $14,100.00

Whoa...now I know why I'd never done that before...BUT: Worth every penny! :T

·
Registered
180 Posts
I spent $103 from parts express building my 3-ways, and they sound phenomenal, course the vifa tweeters made the difference with the goldwood woofers and mids, but I would compare them to speakers costing more then 5 times the price, if you doubt me, just try them, goldwood makes most of the speaker components that people spend a lot more money for in commercially built systems.:rant:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I spent $103 from parts express building my 3-ways, and they sound phenomenal, course the vifa tweeters made the difference with the goldwood woofers and mids, but I would compare them to speakers costing more then 5 times the price, if you doubt me, just try them, goldwood makes most of the speaker components that people spend a lot more money for in commercially built systems.:rant:
No Pictures:hissyfit:, Would love to see hm 3 ways!

·
Registered
301 Posts
My mains came in at around $8000.00, Center $1200, Surrounds $2000 for all 4, Sub $750 but its a HSU that out performed Def Tech 15' Super Cube.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It was right around 2K, just a bit over. Ascend 340s across the front, htm200 for the rears and HSU VTF3-MK2 for the sub. It's not the best setup on the block but it serves my needs well. I'm happy with it.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
100 Posts
It was right around 2K, just a bit over. Ascend 340s across the front, htm200 for the rears and HSU VTF3-MK2 for the sub. It's not the best setup on the block but it serves my needs well. I'm happy with it.:bigsmile:
And that is all that really matters.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
My $69.oo Cutris HTiB (DVD and 5.1 speakers) have gotten me by for three (3) years:unbelievable:. Fot the last two (2) years I've had those little 40w cubes hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-816 7.1SS Receiver w/ a Powered 40w subwoofer I aquired from a friend for $20.oo:clap:.

Now I know these whimpy 40w speakers and sub will never sound great but they do sound better than the stock speakers in my Sony KD-34XBR970 HDTV:T.

I'm going to up grade my speakers very soon to the SBS-01 5.1 system:yay:, which should :hsd: compaired to my current set-up:bigsmile:.

·
Registered
27 Posts
good luck with your system, I am also going through growing pains right now and just trying to decide which way I want to go.

·
Registered
180 Posts
QUOTE=hyghwayman;85623]No Pictures:hissyfit:, Would love to see hm 3 ways![/QUOTE]

Sorry don't have a digital camera but here's the links to the parts I used.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-325

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=280-105
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-500

The whole goal was a budget build and they sound way better than I was expecting, running in 2.0 the imaging is good enough to keep the dialog centered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Acoustic Energy "AELITE" 3's Front L & R $1500
Acoustic Energy "AELITE" 2's Rear L & R $900
Acoustic Energy "AELITE" Centre $500
SVS 25-31PCi $900

Total $3800 :scared: UK prices :coocoo:

Will post some pix as and when i can :demon:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mains retailed for $2500, I picked them up for $1400 new.

Sub retailed for $1650 I got it for $1400.

Not cheap but not ridiculous either. Price isn't everything, my main PSB M2 Platinums cost less than other speakers I've had but sound better. I'd love them even if I paid list.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My $69.oo Cutris HTiB (DVD and 5.1 speakers) have gotten me by for three (3) years:unbelievable:. Fot the last two (2) years I've had those little 40w cubes hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-816 7.1SS Receiver w/ a Powered 40w subwoofer I aquired from a friend for $20.oo:clap:.

Now I know these whimpy 40w speakers and sub will never sound great but they do sound better than the stock speakers in my Sony KD-34XBR970 HDTV:T.

I'm going to up grade my speakers very soon to the SBS-01 5.1 system:yay:, which should :hsd: compaired to my current set-up:bigsmile:.
Hey, I'm glad you FINALLY get to get that SVS system. You've been talking about it for months and I've been hoping you'd be able to pull the trigger at some time :). Now, not to get greedy, but I wonder if you could move up to the PB12-NSD (it's only $150 more)...after all, even with the PB12, the HT system will cost you less than the appeasement fees :p.

And now, so I don't get busted by Sonnie for being off topic (he's really good at realizing how well I waste space on this forum! :foottap:), I'll take a guess that between speakers/subs I've spent around $2700 (this includes really cheap equipment I don't use anymore). Add in a modest $400 AVR, FBQ 2496, DVD player, HD DVD player, and PS3 and I'm up in the $4000 range. Again, modest, but not bad for a college student. It brings down my 900 cubic foot room :bigsmile:.

Congrats again, hyghwayman :).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Free!!!

Left overs from my sisters old shelf system.

Just using these untill I can build some of my own.

They sounded horible on the aiwa system...but hooked up to my yamaha reciever and they actualy sound pretty good.

The woofers don't move alot of air but they play low...and sound pretty decent considering what they are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Klipsche Quintet III w/ Klipsche 10" Sub - $600 brand new
Denon AVR887 Receiver w/ 3yr replacement warranty - $290 open box at Circuit City

$890....and it sounds pretty decent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just try to explain to her logically, that spending 1k on a system is the same as taking 1k and throwing it away,
while spending alittle more would give you the benefits of value, investment, fun, listening experience, enjoyment....

61 - 80 of 334 Posts