Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 334 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Too new to your forum so I can't post pics yet

Mains are L7s with a lot of modifications, only six pairs were done in NZ, one set recently sold and to replace these he spent $33K NZD :dizzy:, mods are 5" Focal driver all new cabinetry, it's fiberglass is rear ported with varying density foams to baffle, shape is bulbous behind the driver to inverse trumpet about 1.5" diameter on exit, I don't fully understand it, that's all inside the standard L7 cabinetry. The x-over has been reworked, I remember the caps were about $80NZD each, the resulting sound is fuller, a little softer highs and more accurate through out. Like any L7 they love loud :whistling:

Rears are standard L7s

Centers are L1s, soon to be changed to a custom setup designed by the same guy that did the L7 modifications, it will be a single L7 tweeter, two fives from the L7s and two eights, the x-over will be based on the existing modified L7s x-over

Subs are W12GTi x2 in three chamber bandpass cabinets (separate cabinets)

Cable is 8 core Proel, all 130meters of it

Cheers
BIG

B

·
0 Posts
Chris Hagen is the designer of the JBL L series speakers from the 90s, after some time watching he jumps on the thread .... an awesome read for those that are interested

Ahh ... poooos, I can't post a link yet either, sorry it's a great thread

I hope this link doesn't offend our kind host

Cheers
BIG

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
i come to this forum mostly to dream. i bought my full 5 speaker polk set up on special at fry's for about $400
I think that looks like a gateway drug..

And I agree, upgrade little by little and you can find yourself with a wicked good setup before you know it.

Your pusher,
JCD

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hmm, my system is far from done. At my parents I'm currently using
-Cerwin Vega LS12 towers
-Monitor Audio RS1 as a center
-Sony junky HTiB speakers for the rears.
-Pioneer VSX-1014

At my place, I'm using
-Cerwin Vega LS12 towers (yes I have two pair)
-Sony bookshelf speaker as my center
-Infinity SW-12 subwoofer
-Old Sony prologic receiver that came with my HTiB

For my system I am working on building...
-Two SDX-15's (550.00)
-Crown CE4000 (~600.00)
-Behringer DEQ2496 (~200.00)
-Behringer EP2500 (300.00)
-Just ordered two Lambda TD15h's and a single Fountek Neopro5i (~800)
Still need to order...​
-two mids and another Neopro5i for my L/R's
-Behringer DCX2496 for my mains
-Four more amp channels for my mains
-Center channel I've not decided on, so I need those drivers
-Preamp/Reciever
-Surrounds...but will probably use what I have here for a while, maybe my LS12's?

I have no idea how much I'll be spending.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
So far on Amp speakers and sub ive spent the equivelent of $5000 USD. I still need to buy a front 3 when Ive finally decided, looking at around the $3000 USD mark for those, then need to add BFD or equivilent.

Eventually I want to upgrade my AVR into a PRE/power combo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have spent around $3500 on my system. It consists of Definitive c/l/r/2002, BP8B mains, BP2Xs for the rears, a Klipsch rw-12d sub and the Onkyo 606 receiver, which is a great budget receiver.....The SVS I heard is great...if she puts her foot down take a look at Fluance. I hear that they are very good beginner systems for the price. They run 199 and 299 for their whole system...minus sub....check their reviews out

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have several systems and putting together a couple of others. Going most expensive to least. All the speakers I have are listed.

speaker system 1:
Legacy Focus Mains $6800
Legacy Silver Screen Center 1500
T&A P-30 3-way rears 1900
Klipsch R-3s side surrounds 550
Total $10,750

Speaker system II:
Klipsch Kg4 Mains $600
Klipsch KV3 Center 450
Klipsch klf-C7 alternate Center 600
Klipsch R-3 surround 550
SW8 550
ACI Saturn 800
Total $3550

Scandyna Minipod System
Minipods Black $600
Minipods Clear/Lucente 650
Looking for Cinepod
Total $1250

PSB Alpha Intro $60
Looking for C1 center and intro
surrounds
Total $60

Radio Shack LX5 system $450

B&W LM-1 $550

Genesis Genre II $400

Klipsch GMX D1.5 multi-media $299

Legacy In-Wall Gallery 4 pairs $460

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got my KG4.2's for really cheap from a pawn shop.
I loved the way the horns sounded, and the midrange and bass extension sounded really good...even hooked up to the sherwood reciver they use to demo stuff.

I tried talking them down on the $350 price...the kid who hooked them up called his manager over and they were talking quietly between the two of them.

The manager walks up to the counter where I was waiting and said that since each speaker had a non working woofer he'd sell them to me for $120. He thought that the previous owner blew out both woofers in one speaker and switched one working and one non working woofer around so they would each have one working and non working woofer.

Took them home...looked them up on line...and found out that the second woofer was a passive radiator.

HEHEHE...gota love that.

I actualy found someone on craigs list with a perfect set of KG 5.2s in the chicago area so I may pick them up when I move there this fall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first real HT setup was almost $3k for 5 speakers and a powered sub. At the time I was shopping for much higher priced speakers and having trouble justifying the expense when I heard a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Towers. They weren't as good as the the stuff I wanted, but the price was right and the sound was more than acceptable. Setup was:

CSW Tower Mains
CSW Center Stage
CSW The Surround (dipole speakers)
CSW PSW1 powered sub

FWIW, I just retired this system and have the entire setup listed on craigslist for $800. If anyone is near San Jose, CA and interested, shoot me a PM.

Years ago I picked up some ACI speakers for the bedroom and was very impressed. ACI is one of those brands that only sells direct, doesn't advertise, etc. They have continued to receive glowing reviews, and I absolutely love my bedroom setup, so I decided it was time to "ACI" my home theater. New setup is now:

ACI Sapphire XL2 mains
ACI Sapphire XL center
ACI Emerald surrounds
ACI Titian XL powered sub

By purchasing some "open B stock", catching ACI during a product transition, taking advantage of the down economy, and working some deals, I was able to get this complete system for not much more than my original CSW system. Even at the listed $4500 I feel this system is a bargan.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Mark. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Dennis. Interesting to note the responses in this thread tend to fall into 3 basic categories:

1. Bargain hunter systems. These speaker systems are generally under $1k and were achieved by either buying used, home building, or searching out exceptional values. I'm sure some of these systems would impress the big budget guys, and some would not. Every system is a compromise, and my hat is off to those who managed to put together a system they were happy with in this price range.

2. Price/value systems. These speaker systems seem to be in the $3-5K range. These are "knee of the curve" type systems where funds were less constrained, but not unlimited. There appear to be a large number of choices in this price range that achieve excellent audio performance. It also appears large sums of money are required to achieve performance beyond this price range.

3. No compromise systems. These speaker systems are generally $7k and up - and often that is for 2 channel! These systems often represent the best that money can buy. Being fortunate to have friends with systems in this league I can tell you they are close to flawless. But the price of admission is high.

When considering the above, I think there are 2 important factors to keep in mind (ignoring the all important 3rd and 4th factors - your bank account and your spouse);

First is the listening room. No matter how much you spend on speakers, the room is going to have a large influence on the sound. $10k on a pair of speakers in a poorly set up room can sound worse than $1k speakers in a well set up room. Many of us don't have an isolated HT/listening room, and you can only go so far with acoustic treatments before the living space becomes impractical for daily life.

Second is listening conditions. If you are not in an isolated room and other household members are doing other things in the house during your listening/movie watching, then background noise is going to mask many of the subtleties of a finer speaker system.

With the above in mind, I would be willing to bet many of the lesser priced systems are in smaller living spaces where there is less control over the acoustic properties and background noise. I'd also imagine most of the high end systems are in dedicated rooms with acoustic treatments. In my own case, the realities of my listing conditions limited what I was willing to spend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I came from a $250 HTiB system from cambridge soundworks. I had the same issue with my wife when i said it was time to upgrade to something better. I conviced her to at least give it a try so I bought an open box onkyo $450, 7 NHT Superzero XU speakers $70/ea., and an B-Stock MFW-15 ~$400. so all in all I spent $1340 and she is like "I had no idea what we were missing, movies just are more enjoyable to watch!"

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
There was a thread going some time ago about how much one needs to spend on a pair of speakers in order to hear a difference in quality (not factoring in room layout/acoustics).

It seemed to be the general consensus that there is a huge step up between spending below $800 and again above the $5000 range.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have about $5500 in speakers and about another $4500 in gear (not including my DLP rear Proj or stands). Like most Shackers, I have slowly upgraded my system when funds were available and have really enjoyed the journey so far. I consider myself very lucky to have a wife who understands and supports my hobby/obsession .(, we met at Circuit City! :laugh:)

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post here. I am a member at Martin Logan Owners Club where I PM'ed with Sonny about his experience with his Martin Logan Spires. He also told me to check out this website so here I am.

My surround setup is all Martin Logan. Fronts: Martin Logan Vantage (5,700), Center: Martin Logan Stage (3000), Surround: Vista (4,295), Subwoofer: Paradigm Servo 15 V.2 (2200) Total $15,195
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Jack. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, Welcome aboard Jack. Nice speaker system you have there. :T

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello,
This is my first post here. I am a member at Martin Logan Owners Club
Welcome to the forum, Jack!

If you don't mind, tell us how you decided on ML's and what's your impression of your setup. Are you happy with your purchase and do you think it's a good value? Most ML owners answer with an enthusistic "yes" to both.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Thanx all for the welcome. I have been using Martin Logan's for over a decade. When given a proper amount of amplification, there is something beguiling about them.

The new generation (Summit, Spire, Vantage, etc) are in some ways better. Unfortunately, they are also in some ways worse. Having an active bass section greatly improves efficiency. They use the B&O designed ICE modules (200 watts in the Vantage) to drive an 8" woofer. The bass is surprisingly robust given the size of the enclosure. My Paradigm sub is broken and I am currently running my system sans subwoofer. I must say that even without the sub, the system sounds amazing. I was expecting not to be able to enjoy my system while without a sub.

The downside to the new generation is in regards to scale. While Martin Logan claims that the Xstat panel offers much more sound in a smaller panel by virtue of more holes on the panel. When compared to the Prodigy, Ascent, etc, the soundstage is just not the same. Still sounds great. Just not as majestic if you will. Then again, the 12 thousand Dollar Summit X is tiny compared to the Prodigy. Amazingly, I am pretty sure the 4 thousand Dollar Ascent is bigger than the Summit.

In regards to value, it is a difficult decision. They certainly are not cheap. And while Martin Logan's have traditionally held excellent resale value, the new generation does not seem to hold their value as well. Still not bad.

Of upmost importance with ML's is placement. If you are not able to have them setup a good few feet out in space, I would purchase another speaker. Sidewall interaction is very important as well. That and lots of stable current.

On the whole, I am very happy with my system. I really do like the Stage center channel. I love my Vantages and honestly believe they offer 95% of the performance of the 12k Summit X for under 6K.
I am not a big fan of Martin Logan's Design Series. Especially the ones which instead of a electrostatic panel use a ATF ribbon. Furthermore, instead of being made in Kansas as all ML's had been, they are outsourced to China.
Cheers,
JJ

101 - 120 of 334 Posts