Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 334 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Thank you. And thanks again for the warm welcome. I am very grateful that Sonny spent some time at Martin Logan Owners Club and he told me about this forum.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
207 Posts
I came from a Cerwin Vega Speaker System mated to a Sony receiver can't remember the model number but it was the first Sony ES receiver with Radio Frequency Egg Remote Control c. 1994-1996, anchoring the system was a nice sounding JBL Subwoofer.

All this was purchased from AAFES (BX) I got back in my U.S. Army days in Kitzingen, Germany. Actually I purchased the system in Wurzburg, Germany where the US Army AAFES was located. I was rocking in the baracks.

Nowadays I run a 2-channel rig consisting of the following equipment:
Cambridge Audio 840a Integrated Amplifier | Vandersteen 2CE Signatures | Oppo DV-980H | Plus other gear to make it all work together. I purchased the speakers used but they retailed for $1995 or so I believe. I'm new to the Vandersteen's so I'm taking time to settle into their sound. Total system cost approaches $5K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spent 500 dollars on my current 2ch setup. 450 dollars for a pair of Klipsch LaScalas. I picked up a Nakamichi Sa3 for 50 bucks. Both are acoustically perfect. I recapped the LaScalas crossovers and refinished the vaneer. They look amazing and sound even better. I had a pair of Forte II's and Heresy and a DIY sub that I no longer use, just moved to 2ch.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have about $3000 in my speakers and sub
-Era Design 5 mains
-Era Design 5LCR center
-Era Design 4 surrounds
-SVS PB10 Sub

I used to have $7000 in speakers and subs
-Monitor Audio Gold GR10
-Monitor Audio GRLCR center
-Monitor Audio GRFX surrounds
-JL Audio F113 Sub

I like my current system a lot better, so money isn't everything.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I am cheap. I bought my speakers at a garage sale. 30 dollars for a 6.1 speakers. yamaha. each speaker has 5 speakers. 1 tweeter two midrange and two bass speakers that look the same as the midrange speakers. the powered subwoofer works great. here they were still in the plastic. the guy bought them and never set them up. my issue is my receiver is only 5.1 channels. I am thinking of buying another matching speaker and getting a 7.1 channel receiver. I saw matching speakers on ebay. were the person was selling each speaker by itself. but i am going to end up paying more for one speaker then i did for the hole set.

I also have nice vintage speakers that blow away a lot of the 1,000 dollar plus speakers. I bought one set at a yard sale for 15 dollars. 15" woofers with ribbion & horn tweeters and a big midrange, and they blow away my friends MTS-01 Tower Speakers. talk about bang for the buck. if I am watching an movie with them hooked up you can feel things explode.

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
I bought my Dali IKON 6s via Audiogon from a guy calling himself The Audio Pimp. What a name! I paid about $1100 or so. I haven't heard speakers for less than $2000 that I would rather have.

I built my IB subwoofer for about $800 including four Mach5 MJ-18 drivers, a Carvin HD-1800 amplifier and the building materials. It's got to be the best $800 subwoofer system in the world.

My surrounds, four Yamaha NS-AP16s, were part of my first HTiB. Practically free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Upstairs LR- Energy C-8's (used 1 yr)-$800, my centre DY CLR 2000 (new) $485, my rears Energy something? (10 yrs old) about $250. New PC13 ultra sub-$1925.00 (all pricing canadian)
Downstairs- Swan Diva 6.2 5 speaker set-up $2860.00. DIY 2 sonotube with dual driver ( yet to be completed) estimated finish cost-$2500.00 ( again, canadian)

·
Registered
22 Posts
centre, triangle leo major £1300
surround L+R, diy volt/audax (10inch mid) with atc scm super upper mid- £2000
rears, seas excel 3 ways with hiquiphon tweeter- £2000
subs -2 paradigm servo 15's about £700 each =£1400
rear centers,seas excel 3ways- £2000
spare pairs- jbl l100centurys-mint -£400. kiplisch tangents-£300,diy dayton/vifa xt 2 ways-£700.
on the way- 4 way accuton monsters- similar to the soups.-£4500
=£14,600 =approx $21,000.

$1000??? i could have left that much out in the change from buying this lot!

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
My M&K system IIRC roughly £7000, brilliant with movies and not too bad for music although it is a sub/sat system, and sound even better now I have the Arcam AV888...

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
John, M&K makes truly splendid speakers. Utterly faithful to the source material. And with most Room EQ systems advocating crossing over at 80 Hz and higher, a ultra high quality sub/sat system makes a good deal of sense. With Audyssey, when all speakers are set to 80 Hz the Subwoofer channel gets 8 times the filtering applied.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi Jack, yep tbh sat/sub systems have worked better in my room due to the size and structure, floorstanders have posed more problems in the bass regions, at least with the setup I have now I am able to get a good balance without using lots of EQ :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok I am going to finally answer this one .. Dont laugh..
Fisher ST-828's including repair cost - 45.00
RSVIDEO Infinity Center Channel Including repair Cost - 27.00
Yamaha Powered 10inch Sub - 99.00
Altec 8 inch powered sub - 5.00 ( from Goodwill )
Pioneer Surround 5.25 2way Surround speakers - 10.00
And Magnovox Rear Surrounds - Free From a carport sale
Total cost 186.00

WOW and what is really crazy about this is they actually sound great .. Except maybe the rear surrounds which I really cant tell because I hardly ever hear them... Also my Den is so small that I do not think I could fit another peice of furniture in hear.. Thats why I havent rebuilt my Technics vintage speakers yet ...I got them for 15.00 .. I may also Schedule another speaker shopping day next month .. But right now I am building a equipment rack.. Got to Love them Pawn Shops and Goodwill stores ...:T:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I spent $150 bucks on my energy classics and about 10 years ago I spent $250 bucks on my sony 12 inch subwoofer.... so I have $400 bucks invested

·
Registered
24 Posts
My existing setup:

AVR: Yamaha 1900 US$1100
Front: JBL L880 US$515
Center: Heco Argon US$570
Surround: Yamaha (free from my sis)
Sub: Cerwin Vega 15" US$425
TV: Sumsung 46" LCD US$2K

Recently purchased the following:
Optoma HD20 for US$999
SVS PB12+ US$1428 (bought from Singapore dealer)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
Hi everyone:wave:,

WoW, I would like to thank everyone who has posted to this thread. I asked this question almost two years ago and it's still going.
Bad news everyone, I still have those whimpy speakers:hissyfit: I started with over four years ago.
Good news is we bought our 1st home and I've been given the green light to set up my HT room the way I want, which includes speakers I think (at least that's how I'm going to see it), so I may get new speakers this coming March:praying:.

Here are a few pictures of my new set up;

We just moved in less than a month ago and still have a lot of boxes all over the place. I'll post some better pictures when I get more unpacked and everything set up the way I want. I'm planning on painting too:bigsmile:.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Nice. A Sony 34XBR970. I have a 34XBR910 that is my Bedroom set. It used to be my main display, but in my new house it is over 15 feet from the display to the viewing position.

I love my 34XBR, but it weighs over 200 pounds. However, it is one of the purest displays ever made.
That is great you got the green light to get new speakers in March.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fun stuff,

This is my entire HT system:
Harmon Kardon AVR 146- $150
Center-JBL LC1 -$140
Mains- JBL L830 -$170
Surrounds- JBL L830 -$180
Sub- Infinity BU-2 12” 120w -$65
100” screen -$110
Projector- Viewsonic PJ-406 -$350
Sony PS3- $300
So about $1465 for the whole thing

I got the AVR 146 and JBL's on ebay and the sub on craigslist for dirt cheap. :)
BTW I've got M&K S-1C's and an MK sub in my bedroom- $300 total off craigslist. :)

121 - 140 of 334 Posts