141 - 160 of 334 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Great set up! Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
703 Posts
9 channel Def Tech HT system purchased new from the dealer at a reasonable "bulk" discount.
HT System:
Def Tech BP2002TL $1,500.00
Def Tech BP2004TL $1,100.00
Def Tech CLR 2500 $600.00
Def Tech BPX $500.00
Def Tech UIW BPA $350.00
Subs:
Dual MFW-15s $1,200.00
Dual Epik Empires $1,600.00
Total $6,850

3 channel system
Swan D2.1se $500.00
Swan CP3 $250.00
SVS 16-46NSD $550.00
Total $1,300.00

Those are the current main systems. I have at least 6 sets of various speakers and a few older subs in storage.

I do keep track of what I've spent for each piece over the years and it sure adds up! It's an expensive hobby but it keeps me out of trouble.

·
Registered
703 Posts
How do you like the swans? The buzz around that brand seems to have died down, but they are very competitively priced.
I actually got them and a pair of Ascend Sierras to compare and I preferred the sound of the Swans over the much lauded Sierras. I got them both for basically the same price so it really was a question of which pair I liked more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Integrated HT/2ch
$2300 5.1 L/R main towers, lrg ctr, 2 side/sur dipoles, 10" sub
excellent for ht and Hires multi
Holds its own quite well on 2ch

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Just don't tell my wife :devil:. I've probly got close to $7000 all said and done tied up in my speaker setup................. WOW! I just scared my self thinking about that:yikes:. Ahh it's well worth it :T

·
Registered
556 Posts
$135 shipped for my JBL NSP-1. I found an almost brand new set on ebay. They were intended to be temporary until I built my new speakers. They are still in service. :)

My sub, on the other hand, was about $1000 with drivers, wood, cables and EP2500.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you're a "good condition used" bargain hunter, eBay and Craigslist are a gold mine :D

-Onkyo Integra DTR 5.5 receiver: $200 used on eBay
-Velodyne SPL1200 sub: $440 used (with brand new factory-replaced amp plate!) on eBay
-Klipsch RF-5 Towers (2): $550 great condition used on eBay, had to drive 3.5 hours down and 3.5 hours back to pick up
-Klipsch RC-3II Center: $180 great condition used on eBay
-Klipsch RF-3 Towers (2): $300 used, almost flawless shape, had to drive 6 hours total to get
-Wiring/gold connectors/SPL meter/etc: maybe $100?

Total: $1,770 (so that's why I didn't have much of a downpayment for my car.. :whistling: ) I don't like looking at the total, so I'll just keep saying I got great individual used prices haha :D

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
My speaker setup:

Front : PSB Platinum T8
Center: PSB Synchrony One C
Rear Surround: PSB Platinum S2
Sub: Two Definitive Technology SuperCube Reference 120v Subwoofer
R and L surround: Pioneer in ceiling 8" SIC 851

Total cost $10700.00

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
The system I recently bought goes like this.

Denon 1910= $488
PSB T45= $479
PSB C60= $259
PSB B15= $249
PSB Sub6i= $499
Total $1974 before tax.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Tony,
Props again for sticking to your plan of buying local and putting together a great HT. The C60 was an excellent choice. As were all of your decisions.

PSB makes great Speakers and I truly believe Paul Barton is a genius. A few moons ago, I owned Stratus Silver i's and absolutely loved them. The Image Series sound as good as some Speakers costing multiples of the price of them.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Thanks JJ, but I took the advice from you guys an ran with it, I have no regrets and being able to stay local was a plus since Sat.Audio is a small business I like to give them my support if I can. Well maybe next year or the year after I will upgrade the receiver. I audition the ML's you have for fronts and rears since they had them very nice, but a little out of my range maybe in my next life.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Forget about the next life amigo. You purchased fantastic Speakers at a great price that will hold their resale value.

I started off with Paradigm Monitor 7's my Freshmen Year at UGA. I coupled with a flagship JVC AVR which I sold off right before it was discontinued.

As years went by, I would constantly buy and try different AVR's and Speakers always selling them before they got too old. Never an issue with Speakers, but with AVR's, selling at the right time makes a huge difference.

My current setup is the culmination of almost a dozen years of constantly buying gear at low prices that were desirable and using the proceeds of selling old gear to continually upgrade.

It helped that I worked in an AV Store in Charleston, SC right after I graduated from UGA. It allowed me to purchase many things at cost and sometimes below. That was huge.

I got unbelievably lucky with my Martin Logans. A good friend who I worked with in Charleston took a job in Charlotte where he was an ML Dealer. I was able to get my Vantages for 5% over cost right at the time of release. My little brother had a spare Martin Logan Cinema and voila, I had a matching Front Stage.

When Sound Advice/Tweeter went under, I got lucky beyond words. I picked up my Stage for 1,250 Dollars and Vista's for 1300 Dollars for a pair. That and a 600 Dollar BDI Deploy Max Rack for 28 Dollars because the liquidators left off the zero and the disgruntled, soon to lose his job Salesperson, sold it to me with a smile on his face. He had been repeatedly told that things had to sell for exactly what the liquidators placed on the Sales Tag for each Product. That was a good day.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
206 Posts
VMPS FF3SRE updated panels and outboard active crossover $10,000
VMPS 626SR $1500
BW series 600 dipoles (4) $1300
HSU 12V Sub I think it was $600 or so

other system
Vandersteen Quatro wood Signature $11000
Vandersteen VCC5 Center $1995
Klipsch RS62 surrounds $1100
Klipsch T5650S in wall rears $1000
Definitive Tech Supercube (old and I think it was $1600)

·
Registered
8 Posts
In 1996 I bought:
2- JBL L-7s $999 list ea.
2- Jbl L-1s $335 "
1- JBL CL-505 center $330

In today dollars these would be over $4300. I bought these from a circut city store manager just after they were discontnued for a little under $900. I have never been sorry.

rdaltx

PS:this is now the bedroom system.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Interesting thread, a little old, but why not...

In 1994:
Infinity Kappa 7.1 series II - $1600 for the pair (mains, @ list)

Updated surrounds this summer:
Infinity ERS610 - $600 for the pair (surround, $1200 list)

Also added sub last month:
Infinity PS212W - $400 (sub, $629 list)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, I have gone through a few different setups in the last the month. I just sold my Paradigm 7's about 20mins ago so here is the new setup:

-Onkyo 707 reciever (might be on it's way out though) $330
-4 Paradigm Monitor 9's V.5 $ 1400

I still need a sub and cc.

141 - 160 of 334 Posts