Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

How much did your speaker system cost?

Tags
cost system
86K views 333 replies 177 participants last post by  hllbll 
#1 · (Edited)
My reason for asking this question is that my wife thinks I've lost my mind :scared: wanting to spend 1k for a 5.1 system from SVS (SVS SBS-01 5.1 system). I've been trying to up-grade from a HTiB Curtis speaker system 40w (one speaker per speaker) and a 40w powered sub for two (2) years now:help:.
She also thinks there is no way a 1k speaker system will sound any different than say a $500.oo or even a $300.oo one :gah:. So if I could get some data and personal feedback from HTS members :hail: to show my wife just how little I'm wanting to spend to get good sound, maybe she'll understand and then again maybe not.

Thanks to all the reply,
hyghwayman

P.S. Sorry about the double post!

#2 ·
Take her to a store to hear the difference. A thousand dollars is'n a whole lot to spend on a 5.1 speaker setup, and the gains at that price level for spending a little more are very large. Doubling your budget from 500 to 1000 does more than from 2000 to 4000, and way more than 2000 to 2500.

To answer the main question, I lost track of how much i have into my speaker system, but lets just say it's around 2k plus the sub, so $3000.

#4 ·
I started out thinking that i would spend $1G for a 5.1 system, and then I listened to some speakers, and I realized that to get the sound I want I am going to have to spend a whole lot more. As of now, I am still auditioning speakers and am looking at spending up to $2000 for nice set of fronts. With the idea that later on I will be adding a center, sub and surrounds. I came to this approach by evaluating my listening habits. I like to listen to a good amount of stereo music, so that became paramount for me. Adding the other channels will be a bonus for movies, and I can use some speakers that I already own for surrounds until I get a matched set.
I have heard a lot of good things about the SBS-01 system.
Good luck, and you are actually quite reasonable in your budget.

#5 ·
Don't recall for sure,... but the round number is $7450 for my main system 5 speakers and a sub. And just to show the extent of the madness,... my computer 5.1 speakers were $1940, of course they didn't start off there, but that's where they ended after the last upgrade of the main system.

#8 ·
My main speakers were $1800, the 4 surrounds were $1300 and my sub was $1200. My wife says I spent too much but as I bought it all before we were married it doesn't matter. I would most likely not be able to spend that much now but she agrees that the system sounds great.

#12 · (Edited)
I spent about $2600 on my speakers and sub but I got them a dealer cost through a friend that worked at an AV store. If I paid regular retail it would have been well over $4K. Remember too that you can usually talk the dealer down to get a better deal. Their margins are usually above 25% and can approach 50% on speakers and electronics.

The wife is always the biggest factor. You just need to remind her that her fancy clothes or shoes and handbags or what ever else she takes pleasure indulging in is equivalent. My wife seems to like salon shampoo that costs 5 times as much as the regular stuff. It doesn't make any difference on my hair, but my wife insists that it does on hers.

You could use that sort of analogy but also have her listen to a good setup and also a poor one. Go to a specialty audio store that has a few dedicated rooms, bringing your favorite movie and/or CD, and have a listen. You'll be floored at how good home theater can sound. Then go to your local Sears or Target and have a listen to a HTIB. It would be the equivalent of using the best shampoo your wife could buy vs. dish soap.

Edit: I should add that I'm not done yet buying speakers. I plan on spending at least another grand on fronts and the same on a sub. I could spend another 2K on a projector and then I'll be set for at least another year...

#15 ·
I agree with the suggestion of taking your wife to audition some speakers, but don't do it at Sears, Target, etc. is better if you can do it at a place that has a treated room (Magnolia at Best Buy, Circuit City or at any store that only sells audio and video :yes::yes:) ... hopefully she will realize that the 1K you're trying to use is nothing compared to the speakers at those stores.

If you're lucky and take your time looking around, you can find good deals ... but it will depend on what you want to get :bigsmile:, my speakers are not high end ... but I like how they sound, and I'm upgrading little by little ... my current set up is L+R (JBL Stadium $320), Center (JBL Voice $100) and surrounds (4 Polk M10 $160), Subs (Velodyne VRP 1000 $250) total $830, this does not include the receiver (another $300+ depending on what you want) :whistling: ... but I also have a 5.1 Infinity TSS750, that was my first set up.

I think you will get what you paid for ... in other words, you have to pay more for better performance.

#16 ·
My wife thought I was crazy at first, but she has come around now that she has had the opportunity to enjoy hi-fi home theater. She has even learned to trust me and looks forward to the upgrades!

The SBS-01s are the best "entry level" bookshelf speakers that I've heard.
For a box sub, I much prefer a sealed design, so I would get the SB12-Plus.

SBS-01 5.0 Channel Set - $599

SB12-Plus in Black Vinyl - $699
Total = $1298

This is a setup that I would recommend to anybody.

Just buy them. After she hears them, your wife will change her mind.

#17 ·
#18 ·
If you want to start smaller...
  • Retire your HTiB speakers to surround duty only.
  • Buy the bookshelf mains today. (SBS-01)
  • Upgrade the subwoofer ASAP. (SB12-Plus)
  • Add a center later, if you need/want one. (SCS-01)
  • Upgrade your surrounds last. (SBS-01s)
Would that make it more manageable?

#19 ·
My main HT system is pretty reasonably priced. 4xCM1 ($1800) + CMC ($700) + Mirage S12 ($600) = $3100. I may upgrade the sub someday but I don't feel the desire to upgrade this system in terms of sound quality alone or dynamics alone (due to my smallish room). I've always said bookshelf speakers are the sweet spot if you want to keep costs reasonable.

#20 ·
I got the following speaker system :

Front : 2 NS-1000 600$ on ebay
Center: 1 NS-1000 (DIY Center Channel with spare parts) 300$
Surrounds : 2 NS-1000M 700$
Subs: 2 Peerless XXLS12 with passive, no amp (DIY) 900$

Total for Speakers: 2500$

G
#21 ·
IMO, it all depends on what you are looking for. I am new to the Hi-Fi scene but my first system was a JBL sat system for $700 dollars. At first I thought it sounded great until I went to my buddy's house. BIG MISTAKE. Now for speakers and sub I am sitting right around $4000, but I am sure if if I went to someone else's house with 25k speakers I would love those too. Do it in stages, easier to get your internal better half to sign off.

Wait till you buy a sub, don't realize how big the thing is, and then your wife freaks. hahaha

Just my two cents.

G
#22 ·
Polk Rti8's pair - $400 from frys
Polk Rti4's pair + stands - $250

Subwoofer: PB12- ISD - $250 from Craigslist.

currently running phantom center which I am quite happy with.

total - $900 and this kicks *** for HT

#24 ·
You managed to find some great deals there!

The NS1000 is one of those speakers I've always wanted to hear, but have not yet managed to find.
Yes I am on ebay 3 times a day since 2 years to get the best deals on thoses speakers. If you are ok to pay 1500$ you could get a NS-1000M in a relative short time...

JP

#26 ·
I showed my wife some of these replies and.....

realized she'll never understand:hissyfit:!

Now I'm not getting any younger and at 42 my number could come up any time. I did show her some of the replies to my ? and she had the nerve to say the wimpy HTiB speakers were fine:coocoo: , I just need to get my hearing checked:unbelievable: . I tried to argue the point that the wimpy HTiB speakers were mono (1 speaker per box) and that they could never reproduce sound effectively. Her reply was yeah but there's 5 of them plus the sub:explode:. Then went on to say that when our youngest son (14) moves out I could get any speaker system I wanted:gah:, I told her by then I could be pushing daisies!

I will get my speakers now not later no matter what the cost, I will sell the wife and buy my speakers and she knows this too! I use to have other hobbies (fishing, camping/hiking, bowling, tennis and billiards) but had to cut back or stop them all together after being rear-ended (Auto Accident) in 2004, that's when I got hooked on HT. So, with that said I want to thank everyone again for all of your support, replies and wisdom.

hyghwayman

#28 ·
Re: I showed my wife some of these replies and.....

... I tried to argue the point that the wimpy HTiB speakers were mono (1 speaker per box) and that they could never reproduce sound effectively. Her reply was yeah but there's 5 of them plus the sub:explode:...
I think it will be hard for you to convince her ... until she heard the difference :yes::yes::yes:

...I will get my speakers now not later no matter what the cost, I will sell the wife and buy my speakers and she knows this too! ...
Like they say "Better ask for forgiveness than permission" ... hopefully this won't cause you a problem with your wife.

Did you decide What are you getting??? ... if you can try this aproach: buy a pair of speakers for your front and swap them when she is not at home, I'm sure after she hears the difference she will let you buy anything you want :bigsmile::bigsmile:

I have this Stadium http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Venue-St...ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202163315&sr=8-3) , you can find it cheap but you need to check the price almost everyday (I paid $160 ea) or you can get this Arena http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Venue-Ar...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202163315&sr=8-10 ... they're smaller but the frequency response is almost the same (look at the price ... good oportunity to get a pair for the front :bigsmile:)

#27 ·
Re: I showed my wife some of these replies and.....

Hywayman...with all due respect; selling your wife (given her ummm disposition) seems like a VERY hard sell!
Good luck with your speakers and your hobby and life...
Cheers,
Konky.
It's times like these that make me realise just how good I have it with my wife...she loves my hobby almost as much as I do...:yay:

#29 ·
Hywayman...with all due respect; selling your wife (given her ummm disposition) seems like a VERY hard sell!
Cheers,
Konky.
:yay:
Well, sell was a little harsh and devorce is out of the question, just very frustrated right now.

I think it will be hard for you to convince her ... until she heard the difference :yes::yes::yes:
Did you decide What are you getting??? ... if you can try this aproach: buy a pair of speakers for your front and swap them when she is not at home, I'm sure after she hears the difference she will let you buy anything you want :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:)
I had tried that with our new HDTV and by the end of the day she had me at my :wits-end:. She didn't see the need for a bigger TV when the one we had worked. If it was her choice we would still be watching on our old 19" TV. So she will not be involved in this buying option for fear of ending up with a Bose system:scared:.

I have found the speakers I want to get, it's the SVS SBS-01 system. I was over at a friends house a while back and heard them. My buddy allowed me to listen to them all afternoon and I must say I was blown away.

hyghwayman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.