Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to purchase 1 of Emotiva's new 3 channel amps, when available. My towers are 275 watts, Polk TSi 500S and center is 200 watts,Polk CSi A6 So depending on what will be available wattage wise per channel. I would like to try and future proof for speaker upgrades in future. How much wattage can I push to present speakers with out much risk of damage?
>:)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You can buy 1,000w monoblocks for each speaker and be fine. Just don't go beyond their limitations. (play too loud).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is funny my wife said the same thing. I was thinking ahead to possible speaker upgrades. Which may have higher watt ratings.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Talley is correct, you can have any highly rated, high power amp you wish as long as you don't listen too loud and destroy the speakers themselves. As far as what is too loud ? I think your ears should tell you this.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I am pushing small monitors with an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 amp, no issues and clipping is a thing of the past!

Get as much power as you can afford.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I have run 100w speakers with a 500w per channel amp with no issues. Like mentioned just don't overdrive them. Use common sense and don't let your drunk friend run the controls. It is better to have more power and headroom than to underpower them. If you underpower them and you keep straining the amp to get to the level you want you will introduce distortion and that will blow a speaker faster than more power used correctly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am pushing small monitors with an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 amp, no issues and clipping is a thing of the past!

Get as much power as you can afford.
IMO too much power??? Are you kidding???

With home theaters we go from very quiet to very loud scenes. This places strains on amplifiers and speakers. Fast, high power amplifiers are the key to great home theaters.

With two channel music you will rarely see amplifiers pump out over 50 watts depending on the speakers (efficiency less than 87db) in a home environment. But with theaters that number can get significantly higher than that at reference SPL. Polk speakers love power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts