Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an electric screen made by Bretford (model 700). It was a free unit that I was able to salvage out of a demolition project. The screen is approx. 82" wide and 62" high....which is not in HDTV 16:9 format. What I want to do is add some blackout drop at the top so that I can get closer to the correct ratio of 16:9 (which would be 82" wide and only 46" high). How can I black out the top 16" of the screen? Some kind of paint? Some kind of black out material? Anyone ever heard of a way to tackle this issue? Thanks.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
From what I have been able to determine from the Bretford site (http://www.bretford.com/products/pricing.asp?id=41#series_700_screens) your screen can be manually stopped at any point going up or down. I do find it odd that the screen has black edges on the side, but no masking on the top or bottom.

My main concern about adding any form of masking to the top of the screen is that the thickness difference, perhaps even if using paint, might cause ripples in the rest of the screen when it's rolled up.

If your situation allows it, I think I would try masking the bottom of the screen and then not rolling the screen all the way up, but leave the bottom masked area visible.

Another solution may be to build a masking panel that is not part of the screen, but is added manually after the screen is unrolled. IIRC, some have had good luck with cardboard or styrofoam panels wrapped in black cloth.

·
Registered
93 Posts
WARNING WARNING

Painting on ready made screens can cause extensive shrinking with a disaster as a result. If you want to paint, spray paint ever so gently thin thin layers.

I talk with first hand expensive and extensive experience.

Adding black to a ready made screen is a challange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts