Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some how-to help. I need to build a port for my new box. My last build (and first) I used one I bought from partsexpress. It works but, don't look as nice as I want on the new build. I was going to use PVC pipe for the tube but, how do I go about achieving the rounded edges on the exterior of the box?

Thanks in advance.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Re: How build my port (Rookie)

Parts express sells just the port flares if you want to purchase them or a quick google turned up this site which describes some other methods.

For my ports I cut the outer piece of MDF to the inner diameter of the port then butted the port up against this and rounted the outside to create the flare.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I was wondering how you rounded the outside to create the flair. Is this achieved with a router? I acquired a router from my father but, I have no experience with it at all so, I'm not sure what you can and can't do with one.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts

Yes, you need to buy a roundover bit with whatever radius you decide you want to use. You may also want to ask your dad how to use the router as they can get away from you if you're not careful.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ah, a roundover bit. That's what I need to look for! Thanks. That is a nice reference site. I'm sure I'll be referring back too it many times.

...the router as they can get away from you if you're not careful.
Ha, that's exactly what he was telling me. I've got plenty of spare MDF pieces laying around to get some practice on.

Thanks a ton guys.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts

Ha, that's exactly what he was telling me. I've got plenty of spare MDF pieces laying around to get some practice on.
Make sure you clamp down the piece you are working on so that it cannot move and have a tight grip on the router. Take it slow and stand like you're waiting to be hit by a line backer. The last thing you want is a trip to the ER.

Good luck! Be sure to post your build so we can see :bigsmile:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Holy cow! Sounds rough. I'll be sure to secure everything down good and put the strong arm on it! : ) Thanks for the heads up.

Good luck! Be sure to post your build so we can see :bigsmile:
Count on it!!

·
Registered
32 Posts

Well, It's not that a router is particularly hard to use, they spin fast enough that they usually cut fairly easily. The thing about them, though, is that they are one of the most dangerous tools you can use because they spin so fast that they will take a large chunk out of you before you know what happened. Just be careful and I'm sure you'll be fine. If your router did not come with a table, I'd recommend buying or making one. When working with small objects, it's easier to manipulate the object than the router. A table can be made pretty easily by drilling a hole in a piece of wood (1/2" thick, about 2' by 2') that's just big enough for your bit, then screwing the board to the surface of the router (the router usually has screw holes for this), and clamping the board to a table, or something else solid.

After setting your bit depth, test on some scrap wood because getting the depth just right so it creates a smooth curve can be tricky sometimes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
How did it come out? If yo can't use the router, a more manual method (and the method I used) is to use a wood file. Sure, it takes a lot longer, but you can carve out a more dramatic flare without having to spend big bucks on a 1.5" roundover bit. If your roundover bit is small, you could just go in to widen it out with a file afterwards too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I wouldn't call myself and expert but, I was able to use the router with a home-made trammel to cut the hole for drivers. I used a 4" hole saw to cut the ports and finished with the roundover bit for the flair. Looks great. I'm not finished with the router just yet. I have a couple ideas to improve the aesthetics of the box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts