Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not even sure what this means? im tryn to figure out the driver volume for a Dayton RSS390HF-4 15"

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Parts Express should be able to provide you with what i'm assuming your talking about... driver displacment.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on the enclosure calc it asks for driver volume, is that the same thing as driver displacement? if so i still dont know how to figure it out lol...

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
on the enclosure calc it asks for driver volume, is that the same thing as driver displacement? if so i still dont know how to figure it out lol...
You got it right!:T Just call PE in the morning they should have the displacment for the driver.:sn:

·
Registered
790 Posts
For a 15" driver of typical construction 6 litres is fine. It's what is typically specified in pro driver datasheets for drivers of this size.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
For a 15" driver of typical construction 6 litres is fine. It's what is typically specified in pro driver datasheets for drivers of this size.
I usually work to 4, but in real terms, a couple litres out here and there isnt an issue, as you can use fibre fill inside the completed sub to tune it a little. Fibre fill has the effect of making the driver act like its in a larger enclosure than it is. Making an enclosures volume smaller is equally easily done, so I would worry too much about hitting your litre targets bang on, as long as your pretty close, then thats good enough :T

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
no, thats about 14 litres. There is a link in the in the quick links at the top, under the tools banner. It will take you to the enclosure volume calculator. At the bottom of that page, you will see a converter you can use for working this stuff out. 1 litre = 0.035 cu ft.

What program are you using to model the driver. If its WinISD, then you can change the values to the ones you prefer to work in, so if you place the mouse pointer over the litres word and click, its changes to one of several option, and you can do this with every value in the program.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'd not be concerned about this in most cases. Remember you will be cutting a hole for the driver. I always let boxnotes do an estimate for me. on the driver size. Once you add stuffing or lining you will probably counter the displacement anyway.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
What are we saying here, because it sounds like your saying a single 15" driver will take up 14 litres of space inside your cabinet, and I dont know any driver that will take up that much space. Most 15" drivers take up 3-6 litres each.

It's possible we have our wires crossed though :huh:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Hi moonfly, if your refering to my post, the info. i received from Kicker said my 15'' sub displaces .5 cu.ft.
I'll spill the beens here on this one but i am mathmatically challenged when it goes from figureing metric to standard:whistling: For all i know liters may be standard:rofl:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi moonfly, if your refering to my post, the info. i received from Kicker said my 15'' sub displaces .5 cu.ft.
I'll spill the beens here on this one but i am mathmatically challenged when it goes from figureing metric to standard:whistling: For all i know liters may be standard:rofl:
Metric is the world standard except for a couple of backward states.

For those that have trouble with it, here is an excellent little conversion program.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I thought standard was the standard here in the USA. I guess i have some learning to do. Is the saying true, you can't teach an old dog new tricks,LOL.
Well my only 'knowledge' WRT the standardisation of SI units in the US is the wiki page and many years of discussions online with many (but not all) Americans who seem to have little/no understanding of metric system or the fact most of the world uses it. I hate imperial units and find them very cumbersome, but have to convert all the time as some of the gear I use at work is sourced from US companies and comes in these bizarre sizes line 1 3/16".

Apart from that, the earlier comment was Saturday morning, 'prod a yank with a stick' sort of fun as there were no kiwi's about.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Oh the last comment about getting USA stuff and having to convert i know how you feel, almost all the trucks we build have metric but then again some of them have both:dontknow::bigsmile:

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
That still sounds a lot. It really doesnt matter what system you work to, as long as you get the figures right. I simply work in litres and know the standard normal volume taken up by most drivers, when I convert that in cu ft, it comes to about 0.1-.02 cu ft, so 0.5 seems unusually high. If thats the figure they have given you though, it must be correct, it just sound a lot IME. My drivers are quite large and I was given a figure of 3 - 4 litres for that one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts