Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
That still sounds a lot. It really doesnt matter what system you work to, as long as you get the figures right. I simply work in litres and know the standard normal volume taken up by most drivers, when I convert that in cu ft, it comes to about 0.1-.02 cu ft, so 0.5 seems unusually high. If thats the figure they have given you though, it must be correct, it just sound a lot IME. My drivers are quite large and I was given a figure of 3 - 4 litres for that one.
I'm curious, i'll have to double check with Kicker now.:scratch:

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
From JBL2226 datasheet

Its worth checking, the post above here gives 0.2 litres for this driver, which sounds more like it to me. I'm wandering if the 0.5 figure is actually talking about the amount of air the driver can move perhaps?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
When your talking .2 liters to .5 cu.ft. thats quite a differance, i'll call kicker tomorrow during business hours to double check allthough it's to late now as the boxes have been built for almost 6 months.:huh:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
There is absolutely no way that it is .5 cu ft. LMS's with their huge motor is only about 0.4 cu ft.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Wow! I made major error, i just got off the phone with Kicker and he told me the displacement is.16 cu.ft. Not sure where i came up with the .5 but i'm gonna do some digging.:rolleyesno:

I wonder now,how much of a differance that is gonna make with the tuning of my sub.:hissyfit:

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
10 litres is enough to make bit of a difference but it shouldnt be a massive change. You can still build to your original proposed volume by either altering the cabinet measurements, or displacing the added volume inside the cabinet, which is pretty simple to do.

I'm now curious as to whether or not buggers has this same issue or made an error slightly with his designs, although he seemed fairly confident he hadn't. Still, I would like to know the exact details of his design out of interest. Are you there Buggers?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Yeah, the boxes have been done for awhile now so the only thing i can think to do would be to calculate the displacement i have to add.:huh:

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I wouldnt overly worry, its a small error in the grand scheme of things. You can run a new simulation based on the correct volume using your cabs designs and see what the simulated results are. Chances are that it will go slightly deeper, but not by any great amount, just ensure the port air speed and resonances are still ok, which they probably will be. In this case, your slight error has increased the volume of the cabinet by about 10 litres over you original calculations, so just make a 10 litre block and fix it inside your cabinet if you feel you really need to loose the extra volume and get back to your original exact figures.

All in all though, I don think any harm will have been done :T

21 - 31 of 31 Posts