Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: How to hook up your receiver properly

Hi

I am hoping someone could help me. I just hooked up my speakers to a new Pioneer VSX-920-k and nothing comes out. I am pretty sure my connections are good. I ran the OSD configuration with the microphone but it wasnt showing my speakers being connected. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Hi

I am hoping someone could help me. I just hooked up my speakers to a new Pioneer VSX-920-k and nothing comes out. I am pretty sure my connections are good. I ran the OSD configuration with the microphone but it wasnt showing my speakers being connected. Any help would be appreciated.
Check again to make sure that you have the speakers connected to the proper speaker posts (not zone 2 or 3) and if that does not solve it connect only the two front speakers and try again.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks for the response. I am hooked up to the A zone and have the receiver set to the A. I just tried the front two speakers only and no sound at all.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Make sure the Mute is not on, if that does not solve it I think your unit may be faulty.

·
Registered
16 Posts

A question please..is there deterioration of quality if the STB's HDMI output is connected to the Receiver rather than directly to the TV(with the sound by Optical to the a/v)? I suppose what I'm trying to figure out is what's the best choice, if one has both options- STB to TV, or STB via A/V? Has anyone done tracked technical results? Ta.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

A question please..is there deterioration of quality if the STB's HDMI output is connected to the Receiver rather than directly to the TV(with the sound by Optical to the a/v)? I suppose what I'm trying to figure out is what's the best choice, if one has both options- STB to TV, or STB via A/V? Has anyone done tracked technical results? Ta.
STB's audio out is going to be the same quality over HDMI as it is over optical. You can use either one or both and it will give you the same signal. From a BluRay player this is a different story.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Many thanks for this, yes Blu Ray will have the HD Audio issues. Sorry I wasnt clear, but will the Video effect be the same in both the instances; or can the A/V deteriorate the picture? Thanks again.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts

I can, but if properly implemented, it should not. I would hook it up whichever way is easiest for input switching, usually through the AVR.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have an older receiver without HTMI and purchasing a front projector Epson 8350 and need to hook up the following components:

Denon AVR 5800 (about 10 years old, no HTMI, several optical, several S video, several component)
Epson 8350 front projector (one HTMI, one component, one S-video, one Video & one PC)
Direct TV (one HTMI, one optical, one S video connection , three component out, one coxial, 1 USB,
1 ethernet & 1 digital audio)
Toshiba SD 6200n (one optical, one S video, component without HTMI)
PS2 (1 HTMI,1 Lans & 1 optical output)

blue ray hook up
My receiver does not have the HTMI cables, do I go HTMI from the Epson 8350,projector to the PS2 for blu ray and then go component from the PS2 to the receiver?

Direct TV hook up
component cables to projector and receiver? the Epson 8350 only has one component connection that I already used on the blu ray unit above.

DVD
component to receiver?

Thanks in advance for your reply, I appreciate it very much. :help:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Always use the highest quality video and audio connection you can so without HDMI component video is your next best option and using either optical or coaxial for audio is fine.
For the PS3 if it has component then just use that to the receiver and use the receiver as the switch for all video inputs. You can also run HDMI directly to the projector from the PS3 but then you may run into audio sync issues but try it and see. You would then need to switch inputs on the projector depending on what your using.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Always use the highest quality video and audio connection you can so without HDMI component video is your next best option and using either optical or coaxial for audio is fine.
For the PS3 if it has component then just use that to the receiver and use the receiver as the switch for all video inputs. You can also run HDMI directly to the projector from the PS3 but then you may run into audio sync issues but try it and see. You would then need to switch inputs on the projector depending on what your using.
Hi Tony, thanks very much for your reply. there is two htmi inputs on the Epson 8350.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Then as long as you dont mind switching inputs on the projector going HDMI directly to the projector would be a good choice and use component to the projector from the receiver for the other video sources would be the best option. If you dont already have the cables Monoprice is a great place to get them do not buy the expensive Monster or other cables.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

remember the above mentioned hookup is only the best option if your receiver does not have HDMI inputs. If it does HDMI to the receiver is the only way to receive the uncompressed audio formats unless you have analog multi channel inputs on the receiver as well (most receivers under $600 do not).

·
Registered
12 Posts

will banana plugs make a dramaitc difference to the sound that you get compared to the old trim and twist method?

21 - 40 of 81 Posts