Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was thinking the re audio sex15 d2. it models well at 8.5 ft3 at 17hz. if f it is tuned to 17 will it still go lower. is that when I look at the excursion plot to see where it hits xmax

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Cheers for these as soon as I get home I will do some modelling. I can look at different PR's for you and explain what you do. Was you specifically looking at a PR sub?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I'm open these might not even be the best drivers. Since I became an RE dealer I was just trying to see if they will work for HT. If not I am open to other subs. RE said they were open to doing a custom driver if the quantities justified it but that is too much for me to bite off. If others might be interested let me know but it would take the experts to collaberate. I'm still trying to learn what makes one driver better than an another:yikes:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The driver file you uploaded models ok but needs a big box. For example a 12 cu ft box tuned to 18hz will get you 113db at 20hz with 400 watts input power where as a Mach 5 Audio IXL15 will do pretty much the same but with a 5 cu ft box tuned to 18hz but with 1000 watts input power. Even with 650 watts input power you would still only be 1db down on the RE driver. The TC sounds LMSR-15 models pretty good too much the driver is much more expensive but with 1000 watts input power it will have the same excursion but will still have 10mm left in xmax but it's over $400 to buy one.

PR subs are good because they eliminate the need for a port and can mostly be put in a smaller box, but are still limited by the xmax off the PR. Ive never built a PR sub due to the roll off being so sharp and I prefer to have a sub which is large and tuned low, mainly due to not being able to afford multiple dual sealed boxes.

Is this something you want to build for yourself?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I would build for myself the RE dealership came out of that I thought if I found a great sub I would offer it to potential customers but if I find a better alternative I'll go that route. RE is really pushing the XXX I just don't know if there is a market for it

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
There are still some good subs around from FI car audio, Mach 5 Audio, Creative sound solutions, TC sounds, Dayton etc.... Its just a shame that the likes off Exodus Audio and Soundsplinter went. Sundown audio are working on some drivers too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts