Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the SVS primes and Kreisel 12012 sub. I am very happy with them however I feel I'm somehow missing out on mid bass or slam at times.
I wrote to SVS regarding this and Ed was kind enough to suggest the behringer fbq1000 peq to get the slam I'm needing.
Has anyone has any experience with behringer peq?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Hey Asere, I have a BFD 1124 that I bought after reading the insanely detailed BFD user guide here. I don't know if they are similar or not but after reading the guide, and playing around a little I feel the 1124 is an easy unit to use. I would suspect the same of the other as well. Ironically I never ended up using mine since my curve is pretty good, although a minidsp might find its way here someday.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Asere, I have a BFD 1124 that I bought after reading the insanely detailed BFD user guide here. I don't know if they are similar or not but after reading the guide, and playing around a little I feel the 1124 is an easy unit to use. I would suspect the same of the other as well. Ironically I never ended up using mine since my curve is pretty good, although a minidsp might find its way here someday.
Thanks Willis! I am on the fence on getting one since it looks complicated. I'm not sure it would help since my previous sub had the peq feature I did not notice much. At the same time when I had that sub I was using it with in ceiling speakers and with my towers now I might have noticed a difference in the punch.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I own the SVS primes and Kreisel 12012 sub. I am very happy with them however I feel I'm somehow missing out on mid bass or slam at times. I wrote to SVS regarding this and Ed was kind enough to suggest the behringer fbq1000 peq to get the slam I'm needing. Has anyone has any experience with behringer peq? Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I've had the same issues with mid bass. My solution was to buy a pair of Rhythmik FMB8', properly position them (in my space, they ended up on the sidewalls roughly parallel to the the listening position), cross all speakers to 80 HZ, use LPF filter on the FMB8's to send everything below 50 HZ to a pair of 15" Rhythmik's (set at 50/24). The mid bass now is the deepest, most palpable, nuanced and satisfying that I've ever experienced. Movies are awesome now, for the first time ever, I'm totally satisfied with the bass (both mid bass and low bass) in my system.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts
The FBQ1000 is the current edition of the DSP1124. You might want to take some measurements with REW to see what your sub response is doing in the mid bass range. If the FBQ seems complicated, you might opt for a vintage Yamaha YDP2006 parametric EQ. It’s more intuitive and user friendly. You can find a review in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The FBQ1000 is the current edition of the DSP1124. You might want to take some measurements with REW to see what your sub response is doing in the mid bass range. If the FBQ seems complicated, you might opt for a vintage Yamaha YDP2006 parametric EQ. It’s more intuitive and user friendly. You can find a review in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne
Thank you for the info. First I'm going to place the speakers in a different area and see if there is change. The sub stays right where it's at because REW says so lol! I'll try the 805s fixed q and if no improvement then I might invest in a PEQ.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Asere, what freq range are you referring to as "mid bass"?
man, I'm not even sure. I hear mid is 60hz and above others say 120 and above. All I know is the slam chest hitting is not there.
I know is possibly the room being too large. I'm just trying to improve here.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Not sure if it's a duplicate from you or asking me again but please see above.
lol. Brains working off sense making not lol
Not sure how. Closed my phone while sending I think.
Have you tried moving your crossover at all? I've never seen your graphs to know what your response is like.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol. Brains working off sense making not lol
Not sure how. Closed my phone while sending I think.
Have you tried moving your crossover at all? I've never seen your graphs to know what your response is like.
lol, I've done rew on sub but not on speakers. I'll do speakers soon when family is not home and that's rare lol

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
You might find a phase cancellation causing an issue. You won't see it on a sub only sweep. Just for fun you might try crossing at 50. The tone control on the 805 is centered at 50. If you cross there, give it a little bump. I know you don't listen at concert levels, so I think the 805 would easily handle the bump, just as an experiment. I know. Everyone in the world will say, how could you even suggest the tone control, but hey, why not?
Also, you might try the phase control at different increments. If you don't want to run rew, it's easy to try. Or run a test tone at the XO freq and measure with an spl meter while a lovely assistant moves the phase. (Or point the spl so you can see the display, if no helper). When you get the most output that should be where to set it. That would indicate a good transition to the mains. Hopefully without a dip in response.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might find a phase cancellation causing an issue. You won't see it on a sub only sweep. Just for fun you might try crossing at 50. The tone control on the 805 is centered at 50. If you cross there, give it a little bump. I know you don't listen at concert levels, so I think the 805 would easily handle the bump, just as an experiment. I know. Everyone in the world will say, how could you even suggest the tone control, but hey, why not?
Also, you might try the phase control at different increments. If you don't want to run rew, it's easy to try. Or run a test tone at the XO freq and measure with an spl meter while a lovely assistant moves the phase. (Or point the spl so you can see the display, if no helper). When you get the most output that should be where to set it. That would indicate a good transition to the mains. Hopefully without a dip in response.
Thanks! I tried the 50 with tone control up some and it helps but not much.
I did notice that by going in to manual eq and upping some frequencies for the mains and sub the bass was so right compared to when Audyssey is engaged.
The issue would be what frequencies to mess with. I've had it with REW. I tried it again tonight and it kept saying no connection for the output. It was connected via hdmi...idk.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I'm guessing it's in preferences somewhere. Output device maybe? I had to wrestle that myself. Do you have an spl meter, and a way to send test tones? Between a laptop and a cellphone even, with an spl app or tone generator or tones on YouTube etc... My hunch is phase. I had a dip around 50 to 60. Once my phase was dialed, I had more punch since the dip was raised. Tightened up the bass too.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm guessing it's in preferences somewhere. Output device maybe? I had to wrestle that myself. Do you have an spl meter, and a way to send test tones? Between a laptop and a cellphone even, with an spl app or tone generator or tones on YouTube etc... My hunch is phase. I had a dip around 50 to 60. Once my phase was dialed, I had more punch since the dip was raised. Tightened up the bass too.
Yes I have an spl meter. I one calibrated without Audyssey and everything sounded dull. At the same time on manual setting with a boost in some of the frequencies it sounded nice. If I use manual eq won't the Audyssey setting not be applied such as speaker lever/distance and sub eq?
I tried the phase by ear and no change plus won't Audyssey tell me that it's out of phase during the calibration?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
To me mid-bass resembles the 70-150 range.

Most of the chest slam bass comes from the 60-90hz range. A specific reason that most kick drums are tuned in this very area.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
To me mid-bass resembles the 70-150 range. Most of the chest slam bass comes from the 60-90hz range. A specific reason that most kick drums are tuned in this very area.
Exactly why I was wondering about asere's perspective. To me mid bass is like 40-80, and slam comes from like, 25-60. That's why car audio stuff is tuned around 30hz. For the slam! Try a tone generator and see which tones you feel the most. To me 80hz is like a bee buzzing. 20-30 is like moving earth. My own kick drums are tuned with a fundamental of 32hz. Perspective can be a funny thing. Ask my wife!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
If I use manual eq won't the Audyssey setting not be applied such as speaker lever/distance and sub eq? I tried the phase by ear and no change plus won't Audyssey tell me that it's out of phase during the calibration?
not sure. The way I understood my manual/osd was that you could adjust certain freq's with Audyssey on. After re-reading I'm not so sure. REW was inconclusive in experimenting with this. I think our older versions of Audyssey are useless compared to xt32/sub eq at phase/integration issues. A manual way is adjusting the subs distance but I think older Audyssey sets distance by how it sees the sub in the room without regard to integration with the mains. Don't know fo sho. Sorry :-(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts