Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might be a dumb question and since I am new, I think I am allowed to ask a couple, :D

is there a post on "how to pick speakers/receivers/amps for dummies"?

looking for some good read and learn

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Have a look at the stickies located at the top of this category to start with.

>click here<

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This is literally the most common topic. Welcome and we'll help as much as possible.

Read the stickys and I'm in the process of creating another one "get the most out of a listening room"

You'll need to determine a few factors.
Room size/layout (how much room do you have/can you run wires)
Budget (how much is too much)
Sources/display (cable/blu-ray/DVD/games & TV/projector)

From there:
Speakers (floor standing/bookshelf/on-wall/in-wall)
AVR (Audio Video Receiver) or pre amp/amp
Interface (remotes)

From there:
Go to some local stores and listen to what they have to offer.
Ask questions.
Pick your system.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
When i saw the header of the topic this came to mind :D

Now with all seriousness , rab-byte gave great points , i can ad don't be afraid to ask questions . This hobby might be sometimes overwhelming with the amount of gear available in the market .

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Usually the hardest part for consumers is separating features from benefits... the features only a benefit if you'll use it.

For example, everything gets Netflix. So is that why I want this bluray player vs. that? Or sure this system reaches reference levels but I live in an apartment with paper thin walls so I don't care about loudness; I care about celerity at low volumes. You get the idea.

A good salesman can be a godsend just verify before you buy. If the projects over 30k I don't even ask if the client wants to buy that day. I review the project with them. Set a follow up appointment to review functionality and review parts list. If after our second meeting they're good with everything I'll ask for the sale. If they want time to think ill set up a time for follow up. Bigger systems are an investment and I respect both my time and the clients so I'm low pressure but not absent.

Use us to verify information. Do research. Trust your ears and eyes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts