Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Living in Australia means GOM is a little harder to come by. I've only heard of one place in fact that sells it (thanks cinema mad) so I was wondering how would I audition other fabrics to see if they are suitable for treatments and potentially in front of speakers?

A couple of posts here have said if you can breathe through it, or if you don't detect any sound changes with the fabric next to your ear then it should be fine?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The breath test works fine for when you are shopping for any kind of fabric other than those that are marketed as AT such as Muslin or GOM. I do think I read a member was able to find Muslin in Australia for a reasonable price. You could also measure and look for a high frequency roll-off. It's what amounts to a small difference for sound for most people and it is quite often that commercial theaters do not equalize for such a thing. There is no rule for how AT it must be but dependent on the speaker it can sometimes make a difference. For example if your tweeter is a silk dome tweeter these are already going to sound smooth to most people and often adding AT cloth in front of it will make them sound less ideal to the inteded design by the manufactor. Which crossover it will use can also have an added effect but that will usually only be something to think of if say they are using ones that are larger in size.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The cloth in front of treatments isn't all that critical quite honestly. You just don't want something that won't pass air or it will reflect high frequencies.

On the other hand, cloth in front of speakers is extremely critical. I wouldn't do muslin in front of a speaker. GOM or a cloth specifically designed for speaker grille use (you know, the typical, stretchy, thin, black, poly stuff) would be the only thing I'd use.

Bryan

·
Registered
193 Posts
I no Spot light in geelong vic sell 1.5 mt loom width Black speaker grill cloth at A reasonable price $13au mt I think, if you are interested I can give you the spot light product code.. They also ship Australia wide....

Cheers...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Simon,
The spotlight speaker cloth is as follows,

Name: Loudspeaker, PLU: 1283123" Width is 1.5mt and price is $12:95au

If your store does'nt have it you can have the Geelong store ship it to you, If you ask for the Manager Scott and tell him that Jason said that he you would look after you with the Loud Speaker Cloth...

Cheers Mate...

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Simon,

While you're at Spotlight, you might want to have a look at a material called "Black Poly Stretch"..
This is the material I used on my screen wall..
It's an open weave stretch material..1.5M wide and only cost $6.99/M. when I bought it..

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up a metre or so of the loundspeaker material on the weekend from spotlight. Was a little different to what I had been expecting. It's not really your classic speaker grill, it's really hard to explain, It seems to have a bit of a shimmer? Or maybe i'm just looking at the wrong side :T

Unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on the black poly stretch, will have another look next time i'm out there. The place is such a mess I don't know how they find anything! The trick might be to get there as they open.

No luck finding something for walls like GOM yet either :scratchhead:. Might need to concertrate my search more towards office fabrics than clothes.

Cheers,
Simon

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Not really - but you can't just judge by those things. I can tell you that there are a lot of thin, easy to blow through fabrics that will definitely impact HF absorption - and others that don't look like they would be (like GOM), that do basically nothing to speakers behind them.

Bryan

·
Registered
193 Posts
That is A good point Bryan, and that is the risk some of us unknowingly take when using A cheap fabric to cover fiberglass used for first reflecton treatments :yikes:...

Though any fabric has some sort of effect good or bad when used to cover the absorbtion membrane some more than others....

Cheers....

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Yeah. For panels, it's not a big deal. For that, the blow-through test is just fine.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update on my fabric adventure.

Went back to spotlight on the weekend to look for potential fabrics.

Ended up coming home with a couple samples, a polyester interlock and a polyester suit fabric. The suit fabric is a little more dense than the interlock, but has a much more interesting texture.

I plan to make up a couple small panels so I can stretch and attach the fabric to and do some testing in between myself and a speaker to see if I can notice a sound difference.

Cheers,
Simon

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Ended up coming home with a couple samples, a polyester interlock and a polyester suit fabric. The suit fabric is a little more dense than the interlock, but has a much more interesting texture.
Polyester Interlock was the one I originally used on my screen wall..
The thing I liked about it was that you can stretch it a fair bit, which opens up the weave..

Is the suit fabric also stretch.?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Prof,

That's exactly what I thought when I grabbed it :D

The suit fabric does stretch a bit, but not as much as the interlock does.
I much prefer the texture/look of the suit fabric, so am hoping it will be fine for the side/rear walls.

I'm trying to get some speaker grille from the guys I bought my speakers off for the screen wall. It's a little less shiney/furry than the loudspeaker from spotlight. Mind you with the lights down at 50% or less most the time, probably no one would notice ;)

Cheers,
Simon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts