Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My integrated Tube amp has variable outs as well as fixed outs but no Subwoofer outs. Can I make a passive resistor based sum circuit with the variable outputs then feed this to the BFD? or should I use 2 channels of the BFD and send both to the SUB line in ? I would prefer the first option for simplicity. Tks

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts

Well - it seems to me that a DIY project is never the simple solution when the other option is plug-and-play, but maybe that’s just me. :)

Assuming that the “fixed” and “variable” outputs you ‘re referring to are line-level outputs (not speaker-level), what you’re proposing might work. My only concern is that if those outputs aren’t isolated (buffered? I’m not an electronics expert), you might end up turning your integrated amp into a mono device.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well - it seems to me that a DIY project is never the simple solution when the other option is plug-and-play, but maybe that’s just me. :)

Assuming that the “fixed” and “variable” outputs you ‘re referring to are line-level outputs (not speaker-level), what you’re proposing might work. My only concern is that if those outputs aren’t isolated (buffered? I’m not an electronics expert), you might end up turning your integrated amp into a mono device.

Regards,
Wayne
I can isolate the two channels as follows:

a) Sum the variable outputs with a simple Y connection a simple resister network at the expense of some signal loss(but that can be made up with the SVS sub gain setting)

b) Use a small mixer box like the Behringer MX400 like here: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-6304&FTR=behringer mx400 . Variable gain so there is no signal loss .

or Build one using a simple FET line level combiner .

The plug and play solution is to use two channels separately ie connect L/R to the BFD but I have to run two Subwoofer lines to the SVS sub and let the Sub do the summing . The only tough part here is I have to run another cable in the crawl space .....messy work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts