Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the LLT Explained thread...

Steve,

Do you think a LLT is suitable for a car application?

·
Banned
361 Posts
Re: LLT Explained

Steve,

Do you think a LLT is suitable for a car application?
let's be clear on suitable here:

suitable for whom? said person, what does said person want? (not what would Blaser want, and not what would Steve want)

IF we are purposely aiming for an alignment that gets louder as it gets lower, and the more exagerated the better, will this do the trick?

(and I'll give you the correct answer now... the lower you tune, the larger you make the enclosure, the more VD/displacement you have and power to get it there.... the smaller, more ridgid, and airtight the listening environment the higher the gain/lower you go, then YES! Good job kryptonite! you will get what YOU want!)

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Jordan,
I know very well what a LLT is (thanks!). And again apologies: my question is not: "what does kryptonite want?" (anyway he's made up his mind a long time ago ;)).

·
Banned
361 Posts

Jordan,
I know very well what a LLT is (thanks!). And again apologies: my question is not: "what does kryptonite want?" (anyway he's made up his mind a long time ago ;)).
:p I know you know them better than i do, you have them... LOL

All in fun, my friend :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And edit for my above pics/post... I am plotting them now, but as 16 cubes and 15 cubes, same tuning... I forgot to subtract sub displacement. I always over-estimate for headroom and error

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I am really curious to know how a LLT would sound in a car though :R ... Much crazy fun Robert... :devil:

·
Banned
361 Posts

hehehe... I know 90% of the time it will be "useless" and basically a sealed enclosure, whatever internal airspace is less port/sub displacement....which i screwed up AGAIN! I didn't account for the port boards...oh boy... off by .75"!

hey, i know i screw up a lot, but measure 32 times...cut once! And when i get bored, i can play a 15Hz sine wave, and when i play Toccatta in B, Bass I Love You, or track 6 on AntiChrist Superstar (pipe organ) I will make some use of it :p

Now i'm recalculating so i can finish plotting

·
Registered
203 Posts

I am really curious to know how a LLT would sound in a car though :R ... Much crazy fun Robert... :devil:
Why? Do you watch movies in your car? You can get better output in the music bass range 30hz-80hz from a conventional enclosure tuned in the 30's :daydream:

Although it can be done i dont see why it is needed, in a car with cabin gain you can get an awesome response from a sealed sub (like flat to 10hz). The LLt was concieved by Steve because of the difficulties of sealed and regular ported boxes for Home Theater

In my opinion an LLt in a car is a waste of time, say you have 4cf to work with, now you could build one 12 with a low tune or you could build two sealed, trust me that the better option is sealed twin woofers. I have tried in cars to tune bellow 25hz and all that happens is you lose efficiency and power handling, high 20's is somewhat ok (say 28/29hz) but in reality as said for a car tune higher or use more woofers in a sealed box :T

Now back to HT please...

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Re: LLT Explained - Discussion Thread

Were it me - which it isn't - I'd probably go higher tuned ported with a highpass or small sealed for reasons already mentioned. Not much bass below 30hz in the vast majority of music, and I presume music is what you will be listening to in your car as opposed to movies.

·
Banned
361 Posts

Why? Do you watch movies in your car? You can get better output in the music bass range 30hz-80hz from a conventional enclosure tuned in the 30's :daydream:

Although it can be done i dont see why it is needed, in a car with cabin gain you can get an awesome response from a sealed sub (like flat to 10hz). The LLt was concieved by Steve because of the difficulties of sealed and regular ported boxes for Home Theater

In my opinion an LLt in a car is a waste of time, say you have 4cf to work with, now you could build one 12 with a low tune or you could build two sealed, trust me that the better option is sealed twin woofers. I have tried in cars to tune bellow 25hz and all that happens is you lose efficiency and power handling, high 20's is somewhat ok (say 28/29hz) but in reality as said for a car tune higher or use more woofers in a sealed box :T

Now back to HT please...

I had no idea... thank you! I wish I would have talked to you a long, long time ago and saved myself a bunch of time, money, and work.

Thanks for redirecting us (me) back to HT!

Cheers!

·
Banned
361 Posts

Were it me - which it isn't - I'd probably go higher tuned ported with a highpass or small sealed for reasons already mentioned. Not much bass below 30hz in the vast majority of music, and I presume music is what you will be listening to in your car as opposed to movies.
:(

well, the man himself has spoken... :p

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

Don't let me bum you out by any means - if you want to try it, try it. Hopefully you have a van or something instead of a Honda Civic, cause I don't know how a 55" port would fit otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Now back to HT please...
You're speaking with a car sound system older owner. BTW, pun was intended...I'm always saying what you're claiming above.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

:(

well, the man himself has spoken... :p

Thanks Steve
Other men had spoken previously too :whistling:, but again do whatever you feel will make you happy :)

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cause I don't know how a 55" port would fit otherwise.
Beside the exhause system, silver (St. Steel like) paint? :bigsmile:

Talking about LLT, I just watched "The Forbidden Kingdom" on BD earlier today at reference level, subs 4 db hotter. This helps me remember how deep and easy can a LLT perform.... Thanks Steve :T

·
Banned
361 Posts

Other men had spoken previously too :whistling:, but again do whatever you feel will make you happy :)

hehe...I got nothin....
I guess i was trying to bow out on this particular thread, as I have been redirected more than once, but can't help but reply...

I'm doing it again! Dang it!

Well... Blaser has spoken... It is final... My last post here when pertianing to car-audio...

I swear!! :D

·
Banned
361 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

I moved these posts down to our car audio section... since we need more action here and it was somewhat off topic... :T

Now back to HT please...
I want to second these comments. I tried a ported design in my former Camry a few years back and ended up going sealed... just did not sound right to me... as far as quality anyway.

I have been sealed since, BUT I tried again and went to extremes to try to get it right when I built a ported box tuned to about 26-27Hz to go in the trunk of my Sonata. No matter what I did I could not get it to sound right. It was muddy and sounded sloppy for lack of possibly a more accurate term. I converted to a sealed box and twala... made ALL the difference in the world. Low tuned just does not seem to work in a car (not for me anyway... not in this car). My sealed box sounds clean, tight and louder than the ported box sounded.

·
Banned
361 Posts

I moved these posts down to our car audio section... since we need more action here and it was somewhat off topic... :T

I want to second these comments. I tried a ported design in my former Camry a few years back and ended up going sealed... just did not sound right to me... as far as quality anyway.

I have been sealed since, BUT I tried again and went to extremes to try to get it right when I built a ported box tuned to about 26-27Hz to go in the trunk of my Sonata. No matter what I did I could not get it to sound right. It was muddy and sounded sloppy for lack of possibly a more accurate term. I converted to a sealed box and twala... made ALL the difference in the world. Low tuned just does not seem to work in a car (not for me anyway... not in this car). My sealed box sounds clean, tight and louder than the ported box sounded.
well that was the whole point to my post... to again say I'll continue this in the new one! haha

OK, so are you saying I should probably be happier to put this in a sealed box, or raise the tuning to something more appropriate? Don't get me wrong, i love tight and punchy as well, if i could flip an inverter switch on a bass boost so that it takes out 45Hz with a wide Q, I'd love to have the lows (35Hz down) and highs (55Hz up) seriousely boosted (or 35Hz-55Hz turned way down, mostly centered at 45Hz and less toward the ends....same effect.)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
It is hard for me to say for sure because our cars are different and you are willing to pretty much use your entire trunk. A few pieces of wood and you could test it out and see. Like many others have suggested, I see no reason to tune below 30Hz or so, but hey... you never know until you try it and see.

·
Banned
361 Posts
I can't stop from saying... If i tune "too" low, it will act sealed anyway... and I could always put a 3rd top board on, plugging the port making it sealed with a tripple layer baffle. Then i tried it, try to save a little face, and go sealed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts