Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
i just thought maybe it would be a good idea and more easier for you to help me if i draw a picture for you how the bass response keep changing at the listening position.
please have a look at the photo and tell me what would it be best , is to take measurment from within the dip?
or place the mic within one of the peak and then take measurment? i don,t know whether if i have to deal with the dip or the peak's , as you can see cuting the peak's will result with even greater dip in the middle , and boosting the dip in the middle will result in greater peak's at the side.
Unfortunately i can,t shift the sofa as it,s centered exactly between the front speakers.
also now that the peak's and dip are so close to each other do you think finally i will be hearing a combination of them?
thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
A sketch of the floor plan of the room showing the sub/speaker and listening position may help, though the question may be best answered in the Home Audio Acoustics forum. Moving the subwoofer to different positions across the width of the room would be the first thing to try.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Her is how my room and setup looks like.
I have tried all different's location for the subwoofer , but unfortunately it didn,t help
thanks!

Attachments

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Moving the sub should move the dip, I would be surprised if it didnt. That said, if you best all round response is this, then the obvious solution is to cut the peaks to level and dont sit in the middle. although I know it not much help.

Have you done an REW sweep of your sitting position though, and what eq have you applied?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Moving the sub should move the dip, I would be surprised if it didnt.
unfortunately it didn,t ,though i have found out that if i move my sofa all the way against the back wall than i can get out of that dip in the middle but than again i get the same dip at the side of the sofa :(
iam using XTZ Room anaylzer kit, yes i sweep 3 differnets position on the sofa
thanks

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
unfortunately it didn,t ,thought i have found out that if i move my sofa all the way against the back wall than i can get out of that dip in the middle but than again i get the same dip at the side of the sofa :(
iam using XTZ Room anaylzer kit, yes i sweep 3 differnets position on the sofa
thanks
Do you have any acoustic treatments in the room???

Where do you seat??? when i calibrated my room, I concentrate in the sweet spot (where I seat)... then, the other seats get wherever they get :hide: :innocent:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any acoustic treatments in the room???

Where do you seat??? when i calibrated my room, I concentrate in the sweet spot (where I seat)... then, the other seats get wherever they get :hide: :innocent:
It,s a 2 person sofa i have in listening position it,s width is 130cm i usually take the one to the right but the dip it seems that it cut's in the middle between those 2 seat dominating one halv of each, I have a few absorber panel at the early reflection's and the back wall ,but they are mainly for the high Fr. they don,t absorb bass.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what a nasty room i have it,s like a nightmare!!! today i have been taking extensive measurment's all over the room, in hope to find one single sweet spot , and what i found out is that the response will never stay identical no matter what! the bass in the range 40-60HZ it keep jumping up and down like a bungle in the jungle ,it keep changing just as soon as i move the microphone 10-cm:crying:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It,s a 2 person sofa i have in listening position it,s width is 130cm i usually take the one to the right but the dip it seems that it cut's in the middle between those 2 seat dominating one halv of each, I have a few absorber panel at the early reflection's and the back wall ,but they are mainly for the high Fr. they don,t absorb bass.
everything absorbs bass to some degree. But I don't think you will see that have this magnitude of effect on 45-55 hz. I would definitely suggest moving the sub around and trying to get the best location. overall. The easiest way to do this is to actually put the sub where the couch is and then walk around the room on hands and knees listening for good spots. Then Measure those spots to find the best place you can get.

I would fix the peaks over the dips though and sit on the sides.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would definitely suggest moving the sub around and trying to get the best location. overall. The easiest way to do this is to actually put the sub where the couch is and then walk around the room on hands and knees listening for good spots. Then Measure those spots to find the best place you can get.

I would fix the peaks over the dips though and sit on the sides.
I have tried that allready and i found one ok loctaion for the subwoofer and that is just behind the couch , it give's a reasonable bass averaging at listening position, but the bass wasn,t as extending as it sould ,the subwofer was bottoming so much earlier then it can handle, normaly with the subwoofer located in the front of the room it can handle bass flat to 16hz and when placing it behind the couch it was allready bottoming at 33HZ :(
....i don,t know , do u think that is a good deal?
Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi
i just thought maybe it would be a good idea and more easier for you to help me if i draw a picture for you how the bass response keep changing at the listening position.
please have a look at the photo and tell me what would it be best , is to take measurment from within the dip?
or place the mic within one of the peak and then take measurment? i don,t know whether if i have to deal with the dip or the peak's , as you can see cuting the peak's will result with even greater dip in the middle , and boosting the dip in the middle will result in greater peak's at the side.
Unfortunately i can,t shift the sofa as it,s centered exactly between the front speakers.
also now that the peak's and dip are so close to each other do you think finally i will be hearing a combination of them?
thanks!
My understanding is that you cant boost the dip's , only cut the peaks , then increase the gain on sub to compemsate.
So cut the peaks only.
When I thought I had the best sub position I also took measurements along an imagenery centre line down the lengh of the room to try and get a flatter/ better seating position.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
...normaly with the subwoofer located in the front of the room it can handle bass flat to 16hz and when placing it behind the couch it was allready bottoming at 33HZ :( ....
If that's the case, and if i were you I choose the front to place the sub :innocent:

Did you calibrate all speakers to reference levels??? What db level are you using with your sub???

In my case, all speakers are set to 75db and sub to 80db ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If that's the case, and if i were you I choose the front to place the sub :innocent:

Did you calibrate all speakers to reference levels??? What db level are you using with your sub???

In my case, all speakers are set to 75db and sub to 80db ...
yes i did calibrate all speakers including the subwoofer at -75db refernce level...

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
yes i did calibrate all speakers including the subwoofer at -75db refernce level...
Try placing the sub in the front... and increase output to 80db and see if you like it.

After I autocalibrate mine, the sub was also set at 75db, but I didn't like the results... so I just increase it to 80db and the sound was better :T

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try placing the sub in the front... and increase output to 80db and see if you like it.

After I autocalibrate mine, the sub was also set at 75db, but I didn't like the results... so I just increase it to 80db and the sound was better :T
increasing the output to 80db or so , will only result in more spl. from the subwoofer but will not change the response or anything with the curve...:rolleyesno:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts