Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hsu Research - Room 510

I didn't get an equipment list, just some nice pics of the speakers and subs, the modest system (sans projector), and the Doctor!

This room was really enjoyable. The modest system punched way above it's weight class, a really well rounded audio/video experience with a low cost of admission.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I am a big fan of Hsu. I have 4 ULS-15s in the HT system and one in an upstairs system. Great quality and sound. The 4 in the HT are in walnut (no longer offered) and the finish is beautiful. The upstairs one is in "plain" black, but there is nothing plain about that finish!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
pic's are always nice to have and you can at lest read the make but not the model number on the Onkyo and Sony , to dark to make out what the screen is though

·
Registered
288 Posts
If it weren't for my never ending desire to DIY everything, I'd have gone with Hsu subwoofers for my HT. I honestly didn't realize they made speakers too!

I wish there were an event like this closer to my home in southern Maine. Alas there are actually very few people with dedicated HTs up this way, let alone much more than Best Buy specials for audio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pic's are always nice to have and you can at lest read the make but not the model number on the Onkyo and Sony , to dark to make out what the screen is though

Hi flamingeye,

We were using a Severtson 92" screen with an Onkyo TX-SR607 and a Sony CDP-CE535 5 disc CD changer that we've had for quite a while now.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed our setup tesseract!

Sincerely,
Kevin
The Hsu Research Team

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hi Kevin and welcome to the Shack!

I was in that room too and was surprised to learn only 'one' of those subs was playing during the demo. It was very impressive, to say the least.

Of course it was nice to meet Dr. Hsu and everyone else. :T

·
Registered
482 Posts
That one looks like a beast! I've always wanted to own an HSU sub, just haven't needed to buy a sub for a long time. May need to start looking again :D

Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Sonnie and skeeter99,

Thanks for stopping by! It was a pleasure meeting you, Sonnie.

We were using different subs for the demos. We had a switch box so that allowed us to play any sub in the room. The main ones we used during the demos were the VTF-15H, VTF-3 Mk4 and ULS-15.

Sincerely,
Kevin
The Hsu Research Team

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm diggin the looks of the HC-1's. What about a front row of 3 HC-1's with 4 HB-1's as surrounds or would you be better off with HB-1's all around? I'd think the HC-1's would have greater power handling than the HB-1's making them better for the front 3?

Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Skeeter99,

I would say if you have freedom of placement, and you're not going to change much in terms of vertical position, 3 HC-1 Mk2's placed vertically would be a great choice. Three HC-1 Mk2's would give you a better dynamic range at higher playback levels than the HB-1 Mk2. If you do have freedom of placement but plan on changing vertical positioning a bit, 3 HB-1 Mk2's would be better.

Sincerely,
Kevin
The Hsu Research Team

·
Registered
482 Posts
Kevin,

I was thinking three subs across the front row (below a non AT screen) with horizontal HC-1's (one on top of each sub). Would the lobing get a bit too great with this config? I wouldn't be able to place them vertically due to screen restrictions. Just kinda kicking around ideas at this point :)

Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Scott,

Yea you would open yourself up to more lobing effects when placing three HC-1 Mk2s horizontally. I would say either go with a 2 HB-1 Mk2 (vertical) and an HC-1 Mk2 (horizontal) config or 3 HB-1 Mk2 (vertical) config.

Sincerely,
Kevin
The Hsu Research Team

·
Registered
87 Posts
When doing research for my DIY sub, there were many references to a Hsu type design. A lot of boxes were modeled after his designs.

I really need to find some time to search out some Hsu speakers and give them a listen. They probably have that "Often emulated, never matched" type of sound/design.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love my ULS15. Of course, I keep reading about the benefits of two subs, but haven't broken the news to the wife yet ;) - on that subject, should they be the same model, or should the second be 'tailored' to a particular 'need' in the room? i.e. a smaller 8" in combination with the 15"?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I think you can mix them up, but make sure one sub can keep up with the other. I would normally recommend the same sub... or at least comparable in output.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I had the VTF3 MK4 and that sub had amazing output. I sold it only because it was not compatible with my other sub even though I tried to combine the two the specs were much different.
HSU manufactures excellent subs/speakers and their customer service is also excellent!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts