Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much HT vs 2ch do you guys listen to? I find myself about 50-50 as my 2ch setup is in my living room as I like to sit upstairs looking out at my view and read or work while listening to music. Also I find I like the sound of my 2ch better in my living room as the sound is more live with the hardwoods and big window. At first I thought the sound would be to echo-y but I really like it so it stays.

HT is downstairs in my cave, so it is more of an event down there without the other distractions.

Maybe when I get my projector I will be in the cave a bit more.

M

·
0 Posts
2 channel here.
Main system downstairs in living room and seperate 2 channel here in the office upstairs.

Turntables, DAB radio,CD decks in both rooms, with addition of Mini Disc Upstairs and cassette downstairs

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I'm probably 99.5% movies and HT. I listen very little to 2-channel right now, but may once I get my updated VMPS speakers.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Well, I used to be into 2-channel way more... Setting up my listening spot, moving speakers in and out an inch, etc. But I just don't have the time to sit and listen in the critical fashion anymore. We have music on in the background all the time, whether coming from Sirius or from the "FLAC jukebox". I still listen critically every once in a while, but right now it's mostly background music and movies.

I'm also working on making a "cave", but it may be a while till it's really done.

-- Otto

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well my HT/2 channel was split 80:20 until I bought a great source, now I've rediscovered my old CD collection and started to buy music again - its now switched 20:80.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Used to be 95-5 HT. Now, with the K-horns it is closer to 50-50 downstairs. Upstairs it is 100% 2-channel with only a McIntosh MAC-1700 to power the Heresy's.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Mostly 2 channel in my camp.
Have a really nice 2 channel system so I do most of my listening on that

R

·
0 Posts
I was all gun ho multichannel music when I first set up my HT system. Didn't take too long, about a year I'd say, to realize most multichannel music, other than classical was poorly engineered from the standpoint of use of the surrounds, so I have gone about trying to improve the two channel performance of my HT system...not an easy task. I find I listen to more of my old two channel and new two channel redbook CD if not for the simple fact of a greater selection of the music I prefer available in that medium as opposed to Hi-Rez. I'm definetly in the music first camp. We only watch a few movies a month...lol.

RG

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm probably 75% HT and 25% two channel, although I've begun listening to more multichannel audio. If your components are high quality, then you will have the best of both worlds.
JP

M

·
0 Posts
I listen to ~ 90% music (the vast majority of that 2 channel CD) and 10% HT. I, like Robert was keen on multi-channel when I started out with my home theater, but have since lost much of my interest. I tried out the Pioneer 588A but it sucked (sorry Pioneer) and only recently got a competent player (3910). Thus far I am seriously impressed with the quality of the analog outputs of the new player but in the end it’s rather likely I’ll spend just as much time listening to 2 channel, be it high-rez or otherwise. I have perhaps 40 SACD/DVD-A discs but excepting 2 or 3 the multi-channel mixes are annoying (When was the last time you went to a concert and the back-up singers were behind you?). I expect in the next few years I will be investing the majority of my funds in an exclusively 2 channel set-up and leaving the home theater for movie and television viewing.

B

·
0 Posts
After collected some good stuff from 2nd hand market,
now 80% 2 ch, 20% HT. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Maybe 66% stereo music listening and 33% movie watching here. I also am not a fan of surround sound music listening - it rarely sounds right, as surround channels seem to carry too much information. They should only be used for ambience to simulate real life reflections, discrete phase cues, or audience applause on live recordings - anything more than that and it bugs me. Stereo sounds a lot more natural.

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
I listen to a lot of music at work on my headphones, AKG K701s. That kinda' counts as two channel right?
At home its more like 10% music and 90% movies and TV. I'd love to listen to my music at home much more, but my wife is usually with me in the the living room and she doens't care for my music. Sigh.

A

·
0 Posts
It's probably 75% - 25% here in favor of 2 channel. My two channel setup is of much higher quality than my HT, but I'm hoping to narrow the gap in the future. HT is not ignored, because my wife and I really enjoy using the HT. It helps a lot that she is very supportive of the HT.

akitaboy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts