Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HomeTheaterShack.
I would recommend this:http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...Thx-100w-X-7ch-Theater-Receiver-Silver/1.html
It originally retailed for 900 Dollars, THX Certified, and much more powerful than any of the other receivers you are considering.

With the remaining 600 Dollars, I would honestly start off with a quality pair of Floorstanding Speakers and budget permitting, a Center Channel.

At this budget, do not discount used gear. Audiogon is a great site for quality preowned gear. Also, check out Craigslist. Every Blue Moon, there are quality speakers available locally. Look for brands like Paradigm, PSB, Axiom, and SVS just to name a few.

I really would get the highest quality gear you can afford at this time and not to try to get everything at once. Since you already have a serviceable subwoofer, you have a leg up there.

On Audiogon's Main Page, click on the line next to the search button to get to the page where you can enter in your zip code. I would recommend entering the first 3 digits or 2 of your Zip Code to see what is out there. And if you find anything in your range, tell us what you find and we can try to help discuss the merits of the particular speaker.

If you really want to get all 5 Speakers at once, Fluance offers a 5 Channel package which includes Floorstanders, largish Center Channel, and Surrounds for 300 Dollars. Still in disbelief that they offer this many speakers for that amount, but what I have read has been quite complimentary.
Here is the link:http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html
Cheers,
JJ

· Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I have never personally listened to the BIC Speakers you are referring to. Hard to fathom them having very high quality drivers given the price.

As to Floorstanders versus Monitor Speakers, Floorstanding Speakers generally go lower and play louder.
Given you have a relatively large space and limited budget, it will probably be the best way to go. That being said, I would rather have Monitors with high quality drivers than Floorstanders with cheap drivers every time.

I would look for used or B-Stock versions of Paradigm Monitor 7's or PSB Image 4T, 5T, or 6T. Or honestly anything from these Companies. Paradigm manufacturers their own drivers and enjoy an absolutely stellar reputation. Both of these are Canadian Companies which have benefited greatly from Canada's investment in the Home Audio Industry. This includes state of the art measurement systems and anechoic chambers. This was all done to foster Canadian industries.
Cheers,
JJ

· Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
First off, there would only be advantages if using 5 of the 7 channels of a receiver. Less strain on the power supply and capacitors and higher overall power to the connected speakers.

The Onkyo is a refurbished unit. And in all honesty, I would pick the Onkyo. This is primarily because I use the THX Processing modes constantly and think they are excellent. Furthermore, the Onkyo originally retailed for 900 Dollars which is 250 Dollars more than the Yamaha. I also prefer Audyssey's Room Correction over Yamaha proprietary Room Correction.
Cheers,
JJ

· Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Slater, you made a great call and got an amazing deal. I really think you are going to love it.
The 706 is truly is in another league than the receivers you were initially looking at. Audyssey MultEQ is amazing and can really do wonders in making your room sound its best. I am so glad they still had a unit available as stock appeared to be low.

As many of us here own Onkyo products, you will truly have any support you might need in configuring it to sound its best.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.