Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I am looking to build a HT sub to be used 100% for Movies. What I need help with is the sub itself. I have done a good bit of research and many of the drivers that I find everyone talking about are not made anymore. A perfect example is the CSS-SDX15 which I read on many occations was very good. So, this is where I need a bit of help.

What are the new DIY drivers people are using for HT Subs. My constrains are that I will be using a O-Audio 500W plate amp and am looking to spend ~250-270 on the driver as my overall buget for the sub and amp is ~500 and the amp is ~230 after shipping.

Any help/suggestions is/are appriciated

Thanks in advance
Josh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a tricky one there.

It depends on the WAF really. I am still working on her to find out, but in general since this is a Movies HT Sub and not a music sub then I am shooting for it to play flat and strong down in the low 20s. So, I guess the best answer I can give on the size (while vague) is as small as required to play in the low 20s. If we talk as if it where a perfect cube I think I can get by with a 2ft which puts me at 2^3 = 8cuft not that is will be or has to be a cube. That is just where I start when calculating volume then I stretch or shrink sides to keeping the volume I want. Anyway, I have gone off subject.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
When modeling drivers it's the net volume of the cabinet that counts, 2^3 would be about 6 cu.ft. internal volume. Here are a couple of options.
Yellow is the Titanic 15 from Parts Express, $233 shipped.
Orange is the TRIO12 from Creative Sound Solutions, $169 shipped.
Both drivers modeled with the O-Audio amp with the 20 hz hi-pass filter.
Both require two 4" flared ports 25" long each.

Text Line Technology Parallel Font

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick ISD Online for Dayton Audio TIT400C-4 15" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer 4 Ohm
293.49 liter = 10.3645015ft^3
Fb = 19.83

width * heigth * depth
24*26*30 = 10.83in^3

This seems to be the optimal size for the Mk III. I will have to take some measurements on the space available. I personally would like to do a LLT as it would be sweet yes very sweet. A 15hz tune with sub running 15 to 45hz would slam. Anyway, back to reality. My only concern with a 15 Mk III is power. Would the O-Audio 500W put out enough. I have read very good reviews about the O-Audio stuff that they actually get pretty close to rated power, but this beast is rated 800W RMS. I know a bit about the Mk III as it has been one of the subs I looked into. Other subs I have looked into is the eD 19Ov.2 and 16Ov.2 any thoughs on those better or worse that Dayton or CSS Trio.

Any more thoughts on the CSS Trio12. it seems like it is pretty happy in a relatively small ported enclosure where the Mk III wants a beast. Not to mention the cost difference.

Quick Question: How big does a LLT need to be in general?

·
Registered
393 Posts
On average an LLT cracks the 10 cubes range, and is usually tuned for 15hz or lower.

As far as LLT drivers go, Its fairly slim pickings right now as the new SDX is currently under development. But you may be able to get your hands on the older version.

I personally own a first generation SDX 15. I can definitely recommend it.
If you've got time to wait, just after Christmas should be the MKII version of the SDX 15. And it's going to be scary.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
800 watts is the recommended thermal power handling, what a driver takes to get to Xmax is totally different. A LLT with the Titanic would be 12 cu.ft. tuned to 15 hz with 500 watts of input power.

I can't speak for the E.D. drivers as I don't have files for them.

LLT sizes depend on how a driver models, some drivers require a bigger cabinet then other drivers.

It would be best if you can determine the biggest box size that would be acceptable and we can take it from there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yep, power handling is based on the box itself, and not so much the drivers thermal rating.

Some LLTS are huge, The FI-Q is one example, averaging about 16 cubes to get LLT extension.
Other LLTS aren't so bad, like 12 cubes to the titanic.

More often than not, power handling goes DOWN with the added extension. You're always sacrificing somthing for another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
800 watts is the recommended thermal power handling, what a driver takes to get to Xmax is totally different. A LLT with the Titanic would be 12 cu.ft. tuned to 15 hz with 500 watts of input power.

I can't speak for the E.D. drivers as I don't have files for them.

LLT sizes depend on how a driver models, some drivers require a bigger cabinet then other drivers.

It would be best if you can determine the biggest box size that would be acceptable and we can take it from there.
Well I was not kidding when I guessed that a 24" cube is my max size. That is max 24" depth, max 25" width, max 39" as that is how tall my mains are but want to be at or under 26". Not sure if that is going to look odd, but those are the max sizes.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Sounds like good suggestions so far and the Bash 500 should be a good amp. If you're building and finishing your own big box for HT, don't forget a slot-port is also possible. That will be easy enough to factor in as your driver and alignment are finally chosen. We will advise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From my mail.

Hi,

Thanks for you inquiry. The SDX15 Mk II is in development and should be available in March/April next year, perhaps earlier.

Best regards
Bob
Looks like I might wait to see what the new SDX15 brings to the table cause I read many reviews raiving the SDX15 as a solid performer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On average an LLT cracks the 10 cubes range, and is usually tuned for 15hz or lower.

As far as LLT drivers go, Its fairly slim pickings right now as the new SDX is currently under development. But you may be able to get your hands on the older version.

I personally own a first generation SDX 15. I can definitely recommend it.
If you've got time to wait, just after Christmas should be the MKII version of the SDX 15. And it's going to be scary.
I tried to post a quick mail I got from Bob over at CSS, but it did not show up. Hope I did not break any rules. Anyway based on what I recieved it looks likely that the MKII is due out 1st quarter next year. I am assuming this is a tentative date for them. Lets see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts