Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building myself an ht system for 48% movies, 48% gaming, 4% music. My living room is about 12 x 14 x 8". My front speakers is going to be the Swope towers by Paul Carmody, which cam in yesterday, the Swope center, and the Swope tm's for the rear. I don not want too big of an enclosure, but I am a bass head. I love bass. I want to go with either a 15" or 12". Should I go sealed or ported? I want to run probably the Yung amps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking no more than about maybe 2-3 feet all around? I was thinking of possibly doind a downfiring setup and making look like an end table or something. I don't want to really spend more than about $350-450 ish. I have a large bay window in this room, so I have to kind of keep that in mind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have been so busy this year I still not had time to even start on my Swope towers, they are still in the box in the corner teasing me. I have been somewhat interested in the sonosubs lately, I just don't know if I want that big of a tube in my livingroom. I am looking for SQ over SPL, but I still don't want to miss anything either. I have a huge bay window on the side wall that I don't want to shatter and a very grouchy neighbor. So I'm just confused on really what route to go. I wouldn't mind going the sonosub route as long as it isn't over 48" high total. Looking at about a $400-500 budget.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess my main question is should I say with a 15" or go down to a 12" if I go the sonosub route. Also, which program are you using to plot the graphs using both the driver and the amplifier?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I have a si 15d2 bstock on the way. Still don't know if I want to go sealed or ported. Almost convinced to go the way of a martycube, but what amp to use. I would rather stay at 150 for the amp, but I may have to go to 200.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mike is giving you good advice. In a room that small you're going to realize a boost in the low end. 2.5 - 3ft^3 net sealed with your SI 15 is a great match and easy to build. The downward sloping response curve from WinISD that Mike posted for you will flatten out down in to the single digits in your room.

Stuff your box with about 3-4 lbs of poly fill and seal it tight with wood glue and caulk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.