Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There has been a lot of interest in the $1,000 Speaker Evaluation follow-up review of the HTD Level THREE Towers (LTTs). We would not normally do this for speakers we are reviewing, but there is enough interest with the LTTs that I am starting this "leak" thread to update readers on the progress and perhaps flash some key findings along the way. Of course we want the final review to be an interesting read, so I will be holding a lot back for its publication.

The first bit of news: THEY HAVE ARRIVED. They were dropped off here just a few minutes ago.

Next step: The weather is going to be pretty nice here tomorrow, so I am hoping to pull them outside for a few minutes to get some clean, relatively-early-reflection-free frequency response plots. Of course all eyes are on the tweeters. I will let you know their status ASAP.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hooray!!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Nice that your going to the trouble to get "out of room" frequency responces. That's the only way I know to get the true measurements. I was amazed at how good my Klipsch KSF 8.5's sounded the first time I took them outside. It's not "real world," but it will let you know how much your room is interacting with the sound.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mom Nature gave eastern Nebraska some much-needed rain today - well, yesterday now - so some preliminary in-room measurements got done. The outside measurements will come in the next few days, Friday and Saturday are supposed to be sunny and 70s, probably then.

Got on- and off-axis response done for both speakers. All drivers are behaving nicely. The fun surprise is the off-axis response curves for the soft-dome mid-range drivers. Impressive.

Running music through them right now, wishing it was later in the day so they could be cranked up. Will do some burn-in and listening until the weekend, then get them outside for detailed measurements.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mom Nature gave eastern Nebraska some much-needed rain today - well, yesterday now - so some preliminary in-room measurements got done. The outside measurements will come in the next few days, Friday and Saturday are supposed to be sunny and 70s, probably then.

Got on- and off-axis response done for both speakers. All drivers are behaving nicely. The fun surprise is the off-axis response curves for the soft-dome mid-range drivers. Impressive.

Running music through them right now, wishing it was later in the day so they could be cranked up. Will do some burn-in and listening until the weekend, then get them outside for detailed measurements.
The tweeters and mids are wonderful and really need some time to loosen up. Glad to read that you are having fun with them. The Motion 12's for 2 channel and HTD Level Three's for Home Theater are on my list of must haves. I just have to convince the wife that she wants them as well. LOL.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The tweeters and mids are wonderful and really need some time to loosen up. Glad to read that you are having fun with them. The Motion 12's for 2 channel and HTD Level Three's for Home Theater are on my list of must haves. I just have to convince the wife that she wants them as well. LOL.
Interested in the post. I've been banging back and forth on the Motion 12's, HTD L3 and Arx A5 for HT and Music. Recently ran across some Motion 40's (more money I know) but wondering if you have any insight in to the differences between the
A5
HTD L3
M12's.
Thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Interested in the post. I've been banging back and forth on the Motion 12's, HTD L3 and Arx A5 for HT and Music. Recently ran across some Motion 40's (more money I know) but wondering if you have any insight in to the differences between the
A5
HTD L3
M12's.
Thanks.
Hi, Pilk:
My best buddy picked up a set of M12's quite a while back. Some one told him Martin Logan speakers were good speakers so he bought the M12 set on a whim. He had them in storage until his basement was finished and didn't even know what he had until I saw them and told him about the HTS comparison. So between the comparison here and a little trial and error the Motion 12's are fantastic and very easy to get setup for 2 channel stuff and can handle just about any genre you can think of. All music has punch and clarity to it. Needless to say I spend a lot of time over there listening to his setup.
As far as the L3's go, I am looking at the Dark Cherry wood as this might have a higher WAF, I can only go on spec for now and the acclaim the mids and tweeters are getting and AudiocRavers review will probably clinch it for me. Have a look at the forum: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event for the M12's for more details. You will find the ARX A5 there as well. The Martin Logan M40's matched up with the ML Motion 30 center channel would be exhilarating to hear I am sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, Pilk:
My best buddy picked up a set of M12's quite a while back. Some one told him Martin Logan speakers were good speakers so he bought the M12 set on a whim. He had them in storage until his basement was finished and didn't even know what he had until I saw them and told him about the HTS comparison. So between the comparison here and a little trial and error the Motion 12's are fantastic and very easy to get setup for 2 channel stuff and can handle just about any genre you can think of. All music has punch and clarity to it. Needless to say I spend a lot of time over there listening to his setup.
As far as the L3's go, I am looking at the Dark Cherry wood as this might have a higher WAF, I can only go on spec for now and the acclaim the mids and tweeters are getting and AudiocRavers review will probably clinch it for me. Have a look at the forum: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event for the M12's for more details. You will find the ARX A5 there as well. The Martin Logan M40's matched up with the ML Motion 30 center channel would be exhilarating to hear I am sure.
Thanks...about to pull the trigger on something. I'd like to hear something in person first but I'm getting where I trust the ID companies and their products. I'm installing all HTD in home ceiling speakers and in my side and rear surrounds for my HT. I was just going to pick the LRC Level 3 when the $1000 review hit and they didn't sound too promising. That's why I'm holding off until I hear some of this follow up. The ML 12's can be had for under $600 shipped on Newegg (and even cheaper if you're patient from what I'm reading). I've seen the Motion 40's for 1399 shipped too which is tempting. I've got a little time before I need to jump on anything. Hopefully we'll hear some good info from the OP. Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Thanks...about to pull the trigger on something. I'd like to hear something in person first but I'm getting where I trust the ID companies and their products. I'm installing all HTD in home ceiling speakers and in my side and rear surrounds for my HT. I was just going to pick the LRC Level 3 when the $1000 review hit and they didn't sound too promising. That's why I'm holding off until I hear some of this follow up. The ML 12's can be had for under $600 shipped on Newegg (and even cheaper if you're patient from what I'm reading). I've seen the Motion 40's for 1399 shipped too which is tempting. I've got a little time before I need to jump on anything. Hopefully we'll hear some good info from the OP. Thanks for the response.
Where are you located mate? If you are close to a member that has something you would like to hear, it might be worth a shot to ask if you can swing by... ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Where are you located mate? If you are close to a member that has something you would like to hear, it might be worth a shot to ask if you can swing by... ;)
SW Missouri. Love to hear some stuff before I pull the card out! BTW...when did cheese-heads start calling people 'mate'?:rofl2:

·
Registered
590 Posts
SW Missouri. Love to hear some stuff before I pull the card out! BTW...when did cheese-heads start calling people 'mate'?:rofl2:
:rofl: from Green Bay, Wisconsin.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, Pilk:...As far as the L3's go, I am looking at the Dark Cherry wood as this might have a higher WAF...
The WAF is very good with HTD's finishes, IMHO. The black we saw in August is satiny finish, as is the cherry I have now, and both have an almost liquid texture about the finish that is kind of a grabber. Of course with cherry you might be matching other decor and be interested in the exact shade. Wish the web site had better pics, they should be bragging it up more - the finishes are super attractive!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
That Satin Black is the best I have seen on any speaker in my house. I was very impressed.

Coincidentally... they protected their speakers with a nice soft cloth cover and include soft cloth gloves for handling, very nice.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The WAF is very good with HTD's finishes, IMHO. The black we saw in August is satiny finish, as is the cherry I have now, and both have an almost liquid texture about the finish that is kind of a grabber. Of course with cherry you might be matching other decor and be interested in the exact shade. Wish the web site had better pics, they should be bragging it up more - the finishes are super attractive!
Can you upload a picture? I would like my wife to actually see a production piece and not a web pic.

·
Registered
590 Posts
That Satin Black is the best I have seen on any speaker in my house. I was very impressed.

Coincidentally... they protected their speakers with a nice soft cloth cover and include soft cloth gloves for handling, very nice.
Thanks for confirming the satin black Sonny, the soft cloth and gloves is something even the wife can appreciate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Noticed the HTD website is putting a hold on selling the Level 3 due to issues with the tweeters. I wonder if this is a response to the shootout or if they've found a problem with the recent batch. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.