Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have never posted in this section of the shack. Honestly I read much more than I post anyway, though I have been absent from that lately due to work. I have some time off and am looking at buying or building a htpc.

Last summer I bought a couple of pivos boxes running linux to give xbmc a try. They worked fine for a while, I love xbmc by the way, but eventually I couldn't get anything to play due to script errors.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of xbmc or these boxes, but I am technical enough that I was able to reset the boxes and put the newest version of xbmc on them, so far so good. If they break again at least I have an idea how to repair them.

Long story short, ill keep the pivos boxes, but will likely put them in bedrooms. I believe a htpc for the theater room would be more acceptable and future proof, seems like there is a new streaming box released every week.

That said, I am looking for something small, not a tower or laptop. I read about the Intel nuc and it sounds great, but does anyone have any experience with them or other recommendations?

I don't particularly want to build my own htpc, but would likely be able to install the software if I had to.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
i used this Acer Revo L RL70-UR308 Desktop PC not sure if this will work for your needs,have xbmc and works fine,i like the fact it's small and non-intrusive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i used this Acer Revo L RL70-UR308 Desktop PC not sure if this will work for your needs,have xbmc and works fine,i like the fact it's small and non-intrusive.
One other thing, you said you "used" it. Did you move on to something better, or is there another reason why you no longer use it?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
as White-Out Reviews asked why not build it,there is so much new hardware out there it's unreal,i've built a couple of destops but that was 7 years ago and how technology has changed,and you could save some $ while having fun at the same time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seriously! Add all the customization's and options you want. For the same amount of money or maybe a little bit more when you include OS and the case (I prefer to use custom cases).

Just do a bit of research or ask what works great together. AMD and ATI are my personal favorites. (IMO) lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may be up for building my own, I like the idea of it, but I've never done anything like that before. I have built a diy sub, but an htpc seems much more complicated. The most I have done with a computer is upgrading ram and hard drives. Even when I did the hard drive it was for a security system and didn't require me to load an operating system from scratch.

I am open to it, just don't know if I have the expertise to do so. If I did do it, I would probably start with something like the Intel nuc that has the prosessor, video, audio already in a case. I'll check out the link and do some research on what I should do though. Thanks for the help, I am a firm believer that if you can DIY you will get better results for the same or less money.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Don't forget there's alot of good help to guide you thru the process here,so you wouldn't be building on your own,the people in this forum are full of knowledge and willing to help at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't forget there's alot of good help to guide you thru the process here,so you wouldn't be building on your own,the people in this forum are full of knowledge and willing to help at the drop of a hat.
Your right, there is plenty of help here. What really worries me starting something like this is if I have to install the motherboard and CPU myself. Looked at the budget and value options on the link provided under 2014 reviews.

The price difference isnt a big deal, but I do have a couple of questions. I won't be gaming with this, or using anything that I believe would tax either of those systems, I will primarily just be using it for xbmc. I don't need android like most of the set top boxes use, which is why I went with a linux version of the pivos I'm using now.

So my questions are does xbmc run well on windows? Which of those two boxes would work best for me, I don't really want to run from openelec because I believe it needs a USB drive to boot xbmc. Are both of these units able to run windows, linux?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
It runs fine on mine also have it on an older laptop also running windows for the living room,i found a better explanation for you " It will work good with both Xbmcbuntu and OpenElec. With the latest OpenElec iso you will be up and running in like 5 minutes (no kidding) since it will work out of the box without any need for tweaks etc. XBMCbuntu works well after upgrading to the latest video drivers. Right now i run the latest OpenElec on my Revo 70, plays everything smooth. CPU load on playing 1080p is like 10-20%. It outputs HD Audio via HDMI.

You can transfer files to your Revo 70 running any Linux build by enabling Samba on your Revo. Samba will let your Windows machines see the Linux box and you can map shares etc.This is on by default in OpenElec so you will be able to transfer data to/from your Revo at once.

The Revo 70 comes in different packages. Some with Linux, Some with Windows 7, bigger or smaller hdd's etc."

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could use an AMD APU system. No graphics card needed and they have great performance. Less power consumption and more room for other add ons. Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and SSD Hard Drive is all you really need. And an HD Ready Display

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am now trying a mac mini out for a few reasons. Almost no moving parts, very quiet from a noise perspective, PCs I have had in the past inserted some noise artifacts into the sound stream from their power supplies etc - the Mini does not. Very small. They are more expensive, even used, but I am doing well with it. Plus - it is Linux and is super stable.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I am now trying a mac mini out for a few reasons. Almost no moving parts, very quiet from a noise perspective, PCs I have had in the past inserted some noise artifacts into the sound stream from their power supplies etc - the Mini does not. Very small. They are more expensive, even used, but I am doing well with it. Plus - it is Linux and is super stable.
What are you using for a player...please say Pure Music, or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

1 - 20 of 36 Posts