Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently HTS accounts have been involved in a data breach including:

"Community member usernames, email addresses, hashed passwords, community userIDS, community website, and the IP address the username originally registered with."

I don't see a sticky or any mention of it here, and considering I only signed up because I was forced to in order to download REW, I'm pretty annoyed to say the least.
What percentage of people forced to sign up have never made a post, and now have their data stolen? Good work :clap:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
This is old news, we have known this for months already and it was not only HTS it was AVS and a number of other forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only just received an email from VerticalScope. Where was the notification from HTS?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It was sent out a couple months ago. Plus it was clearly posted on top of every page here for some time. maybe you need to check your spam filter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing, I probably unsubscribed like many others and didn't receive it.

Again, top work :clap:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I might add that there is no indication HTS members lost any personal info as it was not HTS directly that was hacked it was VerticalScope. All HTS members had to reset their passwords as a precaution and an email was also sent out about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I get that, I'm just annoyed because I've never even used this forum and only just found out about it.

At least you don't have to sign up download REW now. Such a ridiculous idea.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
At least you don't have to sign up download REW now. Such a ridiculous idea.
Not ridiculous at all, the creator is a long time member here and graciously has made it available for free. Considering how powerful the software is and how much it could cost, signing up to get it is no sacrifice at all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes but it's true that some people only started to learn about it last month (I did). The majority don't even know. And many members aren't posting anymore.
I'm not talking just here, but @ 1,100 other forums, AVS included. ...And other audio/video technical forums, home integration.

Anyway, c'est la vie...we live in the internet era where every day some' new happens, and security is in jeopardy because it wasn't updated.
It's most likely the fault of near 45 million people to not have chosen a better password. Like me for example, with over 26 characters @ some of them forums which have been hacked.
Now they ask for a tougher one with ten characters. They even picked it for me, so they make sure they know about it and anyone can intercept it via email.
I have zero idea as to what's best, I only have read some about it, and I'm sure everyone is on top of it. I trust people, they all seem very nice people, and it's not their fault.

As for REW, everyone always refer to HTS; it's their trademark. ...Plus Wayne. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts