Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Welcome back Robert!

Yeah, we're still plugging away at screen mixes, but none of us seem to have as much spare time as we used to so things move slowly.

The good news is that the HTS-X3 and HTS-X4 mixes can be made is almost any country in the world, the bad news is that since they are 100% Liquitex artist paints these mixes will almost certainly be more expensive than regular house paints. But even better news is that they will still cost less than commercial screen paints and will also be more color neutral.

I did spectro these mixes, but my PC recently died and due to using a non-standard hard drive controller recovering the data is not as simple as plugging the drive into the new PC. While I do have the spectro data backed up to DVD/flash my organizational skills are stone-age and I haven't found it yet. :blush:

I do remember that these mixes are neutral, one of them is the most neutral mix or paint I have ever seen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry to hear about your comp...can´t live with them...can´t live without them.

I shall go to the local high end artist equipment dealer and check out prices in Sweden.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry to hear about your comp...can´t live with them...can´t live without them.
I'll get things sorted, it's just a matter of time. :T

I shall go to the local high end artist equipment dealer and check out prices in Sweden.
In the States I have found places on the Internet that discount Liquitex heavily (around 50%), perhaps you can find a Swedish equivalent. :dontknow: Also, keep in mind that it is mandatory to use the BASICS MATT paints and not the regular BASICS. This is kind of a drag here in the U.S. since most of the local artist supply stores only carry the BASICS line and we almost always have to order the BASICS MATT paints via mail order or Internet.

If you do your own experimentation with these paints, or any others, please know that you can have any samples spectro'ed by simply mailing them to either Mech, myself or both. :T ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anything ever came of these mixes? Any hotspotting? Gain? Any comparisons to C&S? Any sparklies or grain evident? Thanks!

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anything ever came of these mixes? Any hotspotting? Gain? Any comparisons to C&S? Any sparklies or grain evident? Thanks!
While the thread may be growing white hair the mixes are still good.

The HTS-X3 N8.7 mix is the mix that will be called Cream&Sugar International when it gets moved to the DIY Screen forum after gain and photo testing have been done. It doesn't hot spot or show sparkles or grain.

The problem is that only Mech can do gain testing, and we both have had very little free time to give to mix testing for quite some time. While we are serious about screens and screen mixes as a hobby, it is still a hobby and family and job must come first.

·
Registered
279 Posts
No explanations neccessary! We all have lives in the real world and I sure appreciate the work you guys do here. I look forward to seeing more about this mix. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I needed to paint a screen and I remembered I read this thread some time ago. I mixed 2 200mL tubes of Liquitex Basics Matt "Silver", 2 200mL tubes of Liquitex Basics Matt "Titanium White", and 2 75mL tubes of Liquitex Basics Matt "Neutral Gray Value 5".

I was aiming for N7.5 and I though I'd only need 1 tube of the N5 paint, but it was light enough after the first 75mL that that I used both tubes. I used water to get most/all of the paint fom the tubes.

I have an aging, ebay sourced Gretag i1 Pro. I'm not sure how accurate it still is. I have the calibration tile and such, but it's been years since it was certified, I'm sure. So take these results with a grain of salt. I'm not sure what to use to get D65 LAB results. I tried babelcolor ct&a...

Anyway, my screen measures (if I'm doing it right):

L*a*b* = (73.4, -0.48, -0.27)
RGB = (171,172,172)

Seems pretty good to me! So, thanks for all your work!

-greg

21 - 28 of 28 Posts