Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wowzer's! In--creadble. My hat along with my head is off to you sir. What was the time frame of start to completion for this beautiful addition, if you don't mind me asking? Are custom home theaters a big thing in Norway or are you the trend setter making everyone drool?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for kind words, daddieo! :)

Time frame frome starting pouring concrete for the foundation, to finished result last spring, was about four and a half years. But mostly I worked on it in the winter, from early november to last of april.

HT here in Norway are mostly smaller than American ones, I believe. I think mine is a bit larger than the average here, with about 32 square meters for the HT only. The addition is about 50 s.m. in total, and covers the stairs from the entrance, a toilet, a tech-room and the HT.

It is built so that it can easy be redone into an apartment, if we later would wish to do that (never in my time...)

·
Registered
99 Posts
wow wow wow!! amongst other things i love the door handle. very very nice sir.

dave

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm stuned what a wonderful room and to think that you actually built an addition to your house for it. What a great job KUDOS to you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Only a newbie but super impressed by the ceiling. Can u pls provide info of how u got the starry result. Cheers. Awesome vibe in the room. Well done.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That is truly a amazing setup! You did a excellent job, I could only dream of some day owning something like that. My wife will never let it happen though! Lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Excellent room.

Two questions.
I see you have 15 channels of amplification. How are those divided amount your 12 speakers?

With a sealed 21 and ported 15's do you have any special processing (EQ, crossover, phase/time alignment) on the subwoofers to split frequencies and provide a high pass to the ported drivers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hunsbedt, any more detail on how you did the fabric walls? I can see you framed it out, and then in the next wide shot the fabric is in place. Did you use a track system, or build and stretch panels?
Sorry about not answering this earlier!
My fabrick panels are really easy to make. It is just a simple wood frame, with the fabric stretched over:

The panels are fastened to the walls with small plastic studs (like those on front covers on speakers), or with small but powerful magnets. I've also used velcro on some smaller frames.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Amazing HT room! How did you do the star effect on the ceiling?
The stars were built from using 6km 0.5mm fiber optic. I used from one fiber up to ten in the same hole to vary the size of the stars. All the fibers are collected and goes into a aluminium tube, witch goes into a 100w halogen light projector:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Excellent room.

Two questions.
I see you have 15 channels of amplification. How are those divided amount your 12 speakers?
I have 15 speakers:
Front left, center, front right
High left, high right
left surround, 2 speakers (same signal)
right surround, 2 speakers (same signal)
Surround back right
Surround back left
Sub channel 1, 2subs (15")
Sub channel 2, 2subs (21")

With a sealed 21 and ported 15's do you have any special processing (EQ, crossover, phase/time alignment) on the subwoofers to split frequencies and provide a high pass to the ported drivers?

Thanks!
For my subs I use two Crown I-Tech 6000. The have two channels each, and I use one channel for each sub. These amps have the best DSP available: 24-bit conversion with 32-bit, fl oating-point DSP-processing. Has 64 assignable filters with 9 different filter types. Includes all-pass filters, over 2 seconds of delay available per channel, and dual uncorrelated-noise and sine-wave generators, see more here: http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/amps/140318.pdf

The DSP is controlled with my HTPC over network, and is relatively easy to configure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It's about time for a new update on my theater, it has been some time now since my last update, and a couple of important changes has happened. A year ago I decided to build new speakers after borrowing three Alcons LCR professional cinema speakers for a couple of months. I decided to build identical LCR-speakers from a concept made by Stig Erik Tangen, namely the inConcert Miles speaker. Instead of using the original speaker, whitch has 2x15" Beyma 15P80ND and a Beyma TPL 150H 6" ribbon tweeter in one speaker box, I went for a three way new concept also with a Beyma 10" 10MI100, also with all speakers in separate boxes.
The separate speaker boxes makes it easier to lift and move them around.

I also changed my old subs for a more "punchy" setup, with 6 x TC Sounds LMS Ultra 18". These speakers are some beasts, 40kg of brutality each. The 30mm MDF 144-litre box weighs about 60 kg, so six of these together are a little bit over 600 kg...

On the amp side there are also changes, I bought one more Crown Itech 6000 for the six subs, and one new Crown DCI 8/600N (8 x 600W @ 4 Ohm) for the three midrange and three tweeters.

What the sustem sounds like? Well, just perfect after my taste. A wonderful ribbon tweeter, very naturally and detailed without any sharp tone, a great midrange, and lots of punchy midbass. The six subs can easily tear the theater down, but has been adjusted to naturally take over downward from were the Beyma 15" ends. :)

Here are som pics:

The ribbon tweeter- Beyma TPL 200H:

Midbass/Bass- Beyma 15P80ND:

Midrange- Beyma 10MI100:

Here'a all speakers in my workshop, ready for the HT:

Closeup:

Mounting the six TC Sounds LMS Ultra 18" subs:

Ready for action:

Amp rack, one Crown DCI 8/600N (8 x 600W @ 4 Ohm) on the top, for tweeters abd mids, then three Crown Itech 6000 for midbass and subs, and then at the bottom one 1 stk T&M SA 400e (2 x 400W @ 4 Ohm), driving two rear surround channels, The side surrounds are driven with to channels on the Crown DCI.
Sorry for bad picture quality:

Attachments

21 - 40 of 49 Posts