Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It will be a Da-Lite motorized screen and moved down from the ceiling. It will be 100” in diag. The PJ will be 14 ½ feet from the screen. The PJ is an Epson 5010 with 2400 lumens in normal mode and 1950 in ECO mode. I will generally using ECO mode.

The room is the family room with a large attached kitchen. In the evenings when I watch movies all lights can be shut down leaving a pretty dark room. The walls and ceiling are white.

There are two materials that I am interested in:

1) High Contrast Da-Mat, Light gray, Gain 0.8. This screen is best used when there is good control of ambient lighting.

2) High Contrast Cinema Vision, Light Gray, Gain 1.1. This screen is best used when ambient lighting is moderately controlled.

This is where I lack understanding. Even though I have control over the home lights, does the white ceiling and light walls put the ambient lighting under the category of: “Good Control” or “Moderate Control”

Do you think these are two good screens for my scenario?

mm

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Unless they've changed the Cinema Vision, I'd go with the Da-Mat. The Cinema Vision gets it's gain from mica IIRC - not the cheap mica used in diy sscreen solutions at avs, but high quality mica. The mica does add a bit of graininess to the projected image. And since you're going with a bright image, you really don't need the gain. The Da-Mat would be a better solution in my opinion. Don't they offer one of the HD Progressive materials in a motorized option? If they do, I'd look into the .8 gain material of that as well.

Either screen would work for your scenario. It's just a matter of how much of a 'purist', for lack of a better term, you are. :T

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unless they've changed the Cinema Vision, I'd go with the Da-Mat. The Cinema Vision gets it's gain from mica IIRC - not the cheap mica used in diy sscreen solutions at avs, but high quality mica. The mica does add a bit of graininess to the projected image. And since you're going with a bright image, you really don't need the gain. The Da-Mat would be a better solution in my opinion. Don't they offer one of the HD Progressive materials in a motorized option? If they do, I'd look into the .8 gain material of that as well.

Either screen would work for your scenario. It's just a matter of how much of a 'purist', for lack of a better term, you are. :T
mechman

I thank you

I'll call Da-Lite to see if they do have a HD Progressive material.

Da-Lite has told me their High Contrast D-Mat, .8 gain, would work with the Epson and my room also.

By "purist" if you mean someone who likes the "film" look grain and all, not me. I personally like it sharp and clean.

m

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Mechman

Yes, the HD Progressive can be had with the motorized screens. I just got off the line with Da-Lite and was told the best material for my scenario with white ceiling and light walls would be either the HCCV or the HD progressive .9 or the 1.1.

I was told the HCCV would help adsorb some of the ambient light from washing out the picture but with the Epson 5010 lumens, the HD progressives would look phenomenal. I was also told either the HDP 1.1 or the .9 would look great.

Your thought to either the 1.1 or the .9?

Any problem with ambient with the HDPs?

m

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I would go with either the HC Da-Mat or the HD Progressive .9. The part where they say the 'absorb some of the ambient light' is basically saying 'This screen is darker than white'. A gray screen absorbs some of the ambient light so that is what you want. As for the gray screens that have a gain greater than 1, you don't need it and they usually introduce artifacts to the picture (the mica I talked about earlier). :T

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go with either the HC Da-Mat or the HD Progressive .9. The part where they say the 'absorb some of the ambient light' is basically saying 'This screen is darker than white'. A gray screen absorbs some of the ambient light so that is what you want. As for the gray screens that have a gain greater than 1, you don't need it and they usually introduce artifacts to the picture (the mica I talked about earlier). :T
A big thank you for your knowledge and willing to part with it.

You seem to like the ADP .9. That is what I will order.

Thanks

JimShaw

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
R

Mechman

Before I do make a purchase, I just received word that SI will be placing the Black Diamond in their electric screen by the end of this year.

Would that change your though regarding HC Da-Mat or the HDP for my situation?

I would go with either the HC Da-Mat or the HD Progressive .9. The part where they say the 'absorb some of the ambient light' is basically saying 'This screen is darker than white'. A gray screen absorbs some of the ambient light so that is what you want. As for the gray screens that have a gain greater than 1, you don't need it and they usually introduce artifacts to the picture (the mica I talked about earlier).

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Absolutely not. I had two small samples of the Black Diamond material a couple years ago. It was way off in color and appeared to hot spot. I believe the material has changed since then though. But I still probably wouldn't recommend it. Stick with the Da-Lite.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely not. I had two small samples of the Black Diamond material a couple years ago. It was way off in color and appeared to hot spot. I believe the material has changed since then though. But I still probably wouldn't recommend it. Stick with the Da-Lite.
Thanks for your note.

Since I am new at this and this is my first and only screen that I will ever have, I want to make sure that the one purchased is the right one and not be disappointed when the PJ is turned on.

At first deciding on a screen material was so confusing and too many people all had different opinions. Even people who reviewed screens had opposite opinions. It got so confusing that I was starting to feel maybe I should not get into the game but it is starting to settle down and I am starting to feel very comfortable with Da-Lite and the HDP .9.

I thank you for your advise.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mechman

From reading a lot of your posts, I have learned that you like the DNP Supernova screen. Before I purchase the Da-Lite HC Da-Mat or the HP progressive, I have set up an appointment with DNP in Irvine, CA to see their Supernova Flex 08-85. If I remember correctly, you said the Supernova is the best screen regarding ambient light, bar none.

I'll let you know what I think.

m

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Mechman

Your are 100% correct regarding what material I need for my screen. I have always had your opinion on top of my list but I have also have many, many different thoughts from many screen reviewers and even from the Da-Lite people on:

What gain I should have, what material would be the best, I need gain because I will be using the Epson 5010 in ECO mode with less lumens, etc., etc. So, confusing. So, confusing!

This morning I contaced Da-Lite once more and complained that I really need someone to give me understanding and they did.

I was walked through a formula on what is needed in lumens to generate a good picture for my room conditions which is a dark room with white ceiling and light walls.

I was told that the industry standard for a dark room, cinema theater is 16 foot lambert to generate a good, sharp picture.

The Epson in ECO mode is (I was told by Epson) between 1500-1800 lumens. Divide the lumens of the PJ (1500) by the square footage of the screen (in my case 100" diag=29.5 sq ft) gives me 50.8 foot lambert. Even though I will have a lot more lumens than the standard theater, the extra lumens will be used to over come any wash out that might be generated from the white ceiling and walls in my room.

Therefore, I was told their Da-Mat 1.0 would do well for me and save me money from their HCCV that I was considering (and you did not like because of the mica used). But you mentioned their HD Progressive .9, I should consider. I asked Da-lite about the HDP and they said that would give a me better, over-all picture than their Da-Mat.

mechman

It is over. You were 100% correct. I will be ordering the HD Progressive .9 material with my Da-Lite screen.

I thank you for your patience with this novice.

Jim

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mechman

I will be ordering the HD Progressive .9 screen on Monday and I want to make sure all is well.

As you remember, my family room is totally light controlled but my ceiling is white and the walls are light.

I read a protion of a review about the Da-Ligth HDP and want to make sure I am understanding "light Controlled"

--------------------------------------------

"Despite the fact that the HD Progressive is technically a gray screen, it is very light gray. Thus, it is not a "high contrast" screen in the same way that other darker gray screens are. For best results, it should be used in a room that is entirely light controlled."

--------------------------------------------

Is my room considered "light controlled" when the walls and ceiling are white?

m

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I consider a room light controlled when the lights are controlled. The reflected light off of the walls and ceiling will have an effect upon the image but from my experience, this isn't as much of a problem as a lot of people make it out to be.

When selecting a screen you're kind of stuck between white and a very light gray. I know of no very dark gray commercial products that do not introduce other issues - mainly hot spotting. And those products tend to cost a bit more. You've seen the dnp product, that's the one that I am aware of that works. There is also the Black Diamond and the Stewart Firehawk screens. I have not had good luck with either company getting samples in order to recommend either of them. And even those will suffer from the reflections off of your walls and ceiling.

The Stewart and the Black Diamond won't cost as much as the dnp, but I'd bet they'd be at least half of it or more.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I consider a room light controlled when the lights are controlled. The reflected light off of the walls and ceiling will have an effect upon the image but from my experience, this isn't as much of a problem as a lot of people make it out to be.

When selecting a screen you're kind of stuck between white and a very light gray. I know of no very dark gray commercial products that do not introduce other issues - mainly hot spotting. And those products tend to cost a bit more. You've seen the dnp product, that's the one that I am aware of that works. There is also the Black Diamond and the Stewart Firehawk screens. I have not had good luck with either company getting samples in order to recommend either of them. And even those will suffer from the reflections off of your walls and ceiling.

The Stewart and the Black Diamond won't cost as much as the dnp, but I'd bet they'd be at least half of it or more.
You mentioned the Da-Lite HD Progressive .9 before. Will this be good for my light controlled family room with white ceiling and walls?

This will probably be the one I will get if you say it will be OK with my white walls and controlled lighting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts