Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally have my office system dialed in the way I want it now with the gear I want and I have to say that I love the Gizmo classic (non bass tracking version). Here's what I like so much - I am using my soundcard to control the master volume so now adjusting the gizmo volume adjusts the subwoofer level w.r.t. the mains (and vice versa I suppose). So I have a button on the desktop for subwoofer level control. Pretty cool. Much love for the original giz. :)

Here is the Giz at work. (there is an x-sub beside the file cabinet)

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad to hear you are enjoying the Gizmo. Great setup! Love the use of the shelves to lift the speakers to ear level. Great Idea!

·
Registered
186 Posts
So I finally have my office system dialed in the way I want it now with the gear I want and I have to say that I love the Gizmo classic (non bass tracking version). Here's what I like so much - I am using my soundcard to control the master volume so now adjusting the gizmo volume adjusts the subwoofer level w.r.t. the mains (and vice versa I suppose). So I have a button on the desktop for subwoofer level control. Pretty cool. Much love for the original giz. :)

How do you like the JB3's? How do they stack up with some other small monitors you've heard?

I've been thinking about trying a pair of them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you like the JB3's? How do they stack up with some other small monitors you've heard?

I've been thinking about trying a pair of them.
For my purpose - The JB3 are hands down my favorite single driver speaker and have the best combo of qualities of anything I have tried. For single driver I have tried tekton 3.1 and gallo A'diva spheres. JB3 have terrific low end (in category) and blend easily with a sub (read no gap around 80 to 120hz). My other favorite for the desktop job is the Ascend 170 classics. The bigger scale and dynamics of the ascend is missed in a few louder sessions (less than 5% of the listening time) but the JB3 more than makes up for that with scary detail and coherence. And throw in form factor and my choice is easy. I had also tried 525Ms which I like a LOT but not for this application.

I havent had time to try them as mains in a regular system but I will. From what I read they should not be underestimated in that application either. Its a terrific little speaker for sure. And maaaaybeee one day I can compare the JB3 to the TCA Panache. :poke:

·
Registered
186 Posts
For my purpose - The JB3 are hands down my favorite single driver speaker and have the best combo of qualities of anything I have tried. For single driver I have tried tekton 3.1 and gallo A'diva spheres. JB3 have terrific low end (in category) and blend easily with a sub (read no gap around 80 to 120hz). My other favorite for the desktop job is the Ascend 170 classics. The bigger scale and dynamics of the ascend is missed in a few louder sessions (less than 5% of the listening time) but the JB3 more than makes up for that with scary detail and coherence. And throw in form factor and my choice is easy. I had also tried 525Ms which I like a LOT but not for this application.

I havent had time to try them as mains in a regular system but I will. From what I read they should not be underestimated in that application either. Its a terrific little speaker for sure. And maaaaybeee one day I can compare the JB3 to the TCA Panache. :poke:
I'd be using them for a nearfield desktop setting as well... and in this setting, while I like the ELT525M alot as well, I wasn't completely happy with them.

Since you mentioned the Ascends, have you heard the HTM-200SE? That's another small speaker I've wondered about for nearfield desktop use.

As far as the Panache... I could be wrong, but I though Craig said there were no longer any plans to produce them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That is how I always envisioned Gizmo/WAF-1/Scamp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd be using them for a nearfield desktop setting as well... and in this setting, while I like the ELT525M alot as well, I wasn't completely happy with them.

Since you mentioned the Ascends, have you heard the HTM-200SE? That's another small speaker I've wondered about for nearfield desktop use.

As far as the Panache... I could be wrong, but I though Craig said there were no longer any plans to produce them.
I have never heard the HTM-200 se. I would like to some day. Also wondering about the gr research N1 which I am on the audition list for in the next month or so. I will drop a note here about how they stack up.

As for Panache - sadly, I recall the same but I am forever optimistic (in denial? haha)because its such an opportunity for some company to really 'own' the $150 or less full range pair. It seems like (based on driver costs, materials etc) it should be possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts