Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Due to my longstanding curiosity about Trinnov, I recently procured a Sherwood/Newcastle R972. The tipping point was Accessories4less selling A-Stock or Brand New 972's for $599 with Free Shipping. The R972's MSRP is $1800 and in addition to Trinnov, which was previously only available as a $13,000 Standalone Processor, it also features the HQV Reon Video Processor. In addition, the AC4L 972's have the latest 1.47 Firmware which unlocks 3D. It is an HDMI 1.3 AVR however so no Audio Return Channel.

I must point out that this is not nearly as User Friendly as my Onkyo, or Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and others. To me it is really about Trinnov which I have got to say is something special. Especially for those with irregular Rooms, Trinnov is the answer to many dreams.
Here are some Professional Reviews of the R972
http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/music_in_the_round_42/index.html
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/sherwood-newcastle-r-972-av-receiver
http://audaud.com/2010/02/sherwood-newcastle-r-972-surround-av-receiver/
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/rece...-972-av-receiver-with-trinnov-.html?showall=1

I must point out that while the 972 offers IR/RF, it might be the worst Universal Remote Control I have ever used. This can be easily fixed with a Harmony or many others. Also, it does not have a huge number of HDMI Inputs or a Phono Input. However, I hooked up my Montages and was quite impressed at how well it drove these Speakers. Also, it really is a quite attractive Industrial Design.

I will say again that the main reason I picked one up was Trinnov and I must say that I am not disappointed. And for those looking for AVR's around $600, it offers an excellent Amplifier Stage. Again, it was brought to market as an almost $2000 AVR. To get the best out of Trinnov, I highly recommend using a Tripod as the Microphone is quite sensitive. For the money, I really think it is an excellent value.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Great to hear you found a piece of gear that satisfies your needs and wants, i know the feeling as you know.:sn:

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
I currently have it in the place of my 3008. I must say the initial results from Trinnov are astonishing. I do miss the networked capability of the Onkyo. In addition to HDMI Passthrough. However, I have yet to decide which I am going to have running my HT.

When the 972 was first released, I was ready to buy it until I found out how buggy it was. That has since been ironed out. So as it stands, the jury is still out.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,
It might be right up your alley. Again, this is an $1800 AVR that AC4L used their purchasing power to buy. The Trinnov Microphone is a sight to behold. It literally Measures in 3D. While lacking in Bells and Whistles, it really is a Audiophile's AVR.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Nice. I was all ready to buy the Outlaw preamp version of that a while back, but delays and delays got the whole product line killed. I remember being really interested in the Trinnov.

sounds like it is worthy of the hype.

Not that you can do an A/B comparrison, but any thoughts on it versus the newer Audyssey stuff?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. I was all ready to buy the Outlaw preamp version of that a while back, but delays and delays got the whole product line killed. I remember being really interested in the Trinnov.

sounds like it is worthy of the hype.

Not that you can do an A/B comparrison, but any thoughts on it versus the newer Audyssey stuff?
Hello,
As I have an XT32/SubEQ HT AVR as well, I suppose I am in a pretty decent position to answer this. I do like that with Audyssey you can adjust the Crossover, Levels, etc. With Trinnov, it is locked in. That being said, it really is amazing. I messed around and tried a Phantom Center and could not believe how good it sounded. This is saying something when using Electrostats where the dispersion is not the same as with conventional speakers.

As it is not possible to get an XT32 AVR for anywhere close to what you can get an R972, I do think that Trinnov is better than MultEQ and probably MultEQ XT. I have so much more experience with Audyssey that I need to spend more time with Trinnov to get the best out of it.

It is funny, I too was ready to get the Outlaw SSP that is a clone of the 972. The forthcoming Outlaw uses XT32 and I am really excited about it as well. I really think this one will see the light of day. As for the 972, at $1200 off, it really is a spectacular value and I love that it is A-Stock.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Jack, what does Trinnov do for the subwoofer channel? is it as good as XT32? $599 is an unbelievable deal!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello,
As for the Subwoofer Channel, Trinnov treats it the same way as the Loudspeakers. However, the process itself is so different in that it remaps every transducer in 3D. It is such a powerful tool that I honestly feel as though I have only scratched the surface. However, it does not stop below a certain Hz like MCACC or most implementations of YPAO, I have found the Bass Response to be excellent so far.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Joe, I am thinking the same thing you are. :) I could probably sell my Marantz for the same that this is worth up here. Its a tempting deal.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello,
The 972 would be excellent in a 2 Channel Application. You would have plenty of power, one of the most advanced if not most advanced RoomEQ available in Home Audio, and excellent Build Quality. All for $599 when it was originally $1800. I will say again that there is definitely a learning curve and that it is best for someone who is passionate about Home Audio. The juice is well worth the squeeze for me. It also has an excellent Video Processor in HQV Reon which was in the upper tier Onkyo/Integra's until the x09's.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jack,

Tell us more. I'm really excited to hear what you think about the audio/video processing.

Ben

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello,
As I alluded to before, the 972 uses the HQV Reon Processor. This happens to be the same processor that is used in my past 3 AVR's (TX-SR875, TX-NR3007, TX-NR3008) Like the Onkyo's the 972 offers transcoding where you can connect Composite, S-Video, and Component to the 972 and it will output them all via HDMI. However, it does not work in reverse like the Onkyo's. The 972 will upscale up to 1080p, but not 1080p/24 like my 3008 does.

Until Vida came out, Reon was/is an excellent VP Chip that is heavily based off the ultra expensive HQV Realta. Long story short, Video Processing is excellent.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm starting to become more of a minimalist. As long as it can pass btb, wtw and 24fps i think it would work for me. I don't use any conversions for video processing, I prefer to bypass. I do like the audyssey dynamic eq but is seems the 972 has a natural room correction mode that may give a nice room curve for bass management. I don't think I would miss the thx processing or networking either. Do we know what dac's they use? At the end of the day to me it comes down to video and sound quality. How do you like it for stereo listening and movies so far?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello,
As I use Outboard Amplification for all channels, it is hard for me to give a definitive answer about SQ compared to the 3008. I will say that it sounds quite good using the 972 as a Prepro.

I must say again I am literally scratching the surface of the abilities of the 972 whereas I know Onkyo's inside and out. I do think Trinnov is something truly special which transcends even Audyssey. Couple that with it being sold for $1200 off its MSRP and I really do think it is something special. Mind you, the 3008 still sells for over $1000 and that is for a B-Stock.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
83 Posts
JJ, Ah I'd trust you more to judge the sq, since you have outboard amplification. It would give me a better idea of quality of the dac's and processing audio paths as a processor, which is more of what I'm interested in. You've peaked my interest still as this unit is a few years older than the 3008 technology. I've been searching in this price point looking at marantz, emotiva, denon, waiting for outlaw etc. If the firmware has ironed out the kinks, it sounds like a steal, I'm going to have to get one now, I rarely use any of the features it's missing, the sound quality is what impresses me most.. Just might have to back seat xt32 to see what trinnov performance can do for me. Wonder what ever happened with the sherwood 876 coming out.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts