Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a reason that when I turn my amp and receiver on that my EP2500 comes on with the clip light on? If I turn it off and right back on the light goes out. My goal is to only turn it on once.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Are both components plugged into the same outlet or Power Conditioner? If so, the surge of power from turning on both components at once is likely the culprit.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are both plugged into the same outlet, but I have tried turning one on before the other with the same outcome

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
how long do you wait between powering it off and back on? are you sure it just does not need to go through its power on cycle? I have used several different brands of pro amps and they all go into protect mode when powering on for a few seconds before releasing again.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I never turn off my amplifiers. While controversial, I do believe the most strain placed on an amplifier is turn on. Many Professional Studios leave their amplifiers on 24/7 as well.

I realize it is somewhat wasteful, but knocking on wood, I have had an amplifier fail me.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Could possibly be a fault with the amp, can you or have you tried them on separate sockets, not off the same mains connection, I have had a separate spur run in for my subs amp and power amp so that all my sources come off a different mains spur...to isolate my equipment better.

Like JJ my equipment is never powered off from the mains but left in standby and never had any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have waited for a minute or so to see to no avail. I will attempt a longer time. I haven't tried a different outlet yet. I'll try that too. I am afraid to leave it on constantly just keeping the fan running all the time.

I'm hoping that it is the outlets issue. I am close to remodeling the room and adding outlets is part of the plan.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
are you sure it just does not need to go through its power on cycle? I have used several different brands of pro amps and they all go into protect mode when powering on for a few seconds before releasing again.
This +1. Some of my amps take 4 seconds or so until they are fully powered on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What if you turn you amp on without anything plugged into it? Does it power up normally? If it does it may be a power up surge from the receiver. I'd recommend (Always check the volume first!!!) turn receiver on first, wait 2-3 seconds, then turn amp on. There may still be a small thump but it (should) be less than doing the amp first then the receiver. On power down turn amp off first, then receiver.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I received my other EP2500 today and I don't have the problem with it with the same exact configuration. It takes 3 or 4 seconds to warm up and then it is ready. It is something with the amp. I am ok with starting clicking the on button twice to get it started for the low price I paid for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts