Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been going back and forth looking at these projectors online. The ones I'm considering are the Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB, Panasonic PT-AE2000U, and the JVC DLA-HD1. My friend said there were some sort of cadence issues where in motion scenes the resolution would drop sometimes as low as 480p? Is this still a problem with the HD1 I have no idea. I can afford all these projectors but I wonder if the HD1 is worth the extra 1000 bucks. Although I know its said to have the best black levels of any projector in this price range. I'm really iffy about the Epson, simply because the CR rating is so over rated and I just can't find a good review comparing it to the Panny or HD1. I was just curious what your guys thoughts were? :help:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I only have experience with the Panny 2000 and it was about as perfect as it gets for me. I highly doubt I would ever notice a difference in anything better, but I realize there are some folks that are picky about the smallest imperfections. :huh:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...I was leaning towards the Panny. But even if thats my choice then I have to decide if I'd rather get the AE2000U or get a new Marantz AV8003 pre/pro :) I want both but can only afford one for the time being... I have a 50" RPTV right now so its not like I'm looking at something small.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
That large screen is nice, but like you say, a 50" ain't all that bad either. I like the experience of a 8-10's screen... it draws me into the movie more. There is no doubt you will notice a much more significant positive change going with the Panny than you will notice replacing your Yamaha receiver... assuming the 2400 has DD 5.1.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah I don't have the yammy anymore :) I have a Sony STR-DA3300ES, Emotiva XPA-3 amp and an Emotiva XPA-2 amp, Sony PS3 80gb. I can accept the new audio formats as PCM so yeah I have that...but its still not on par with the Marantz. I was waiting for the new Emotiva stuff but they still aren't sure when the stuff will be released.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Get the Panny and wait on the Emotiva. I seriously doubt you will notice that much difference, if any, with the Marantz.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe not when used in an HT matter but I'd imagine there would be some difference with 2 channel. I don't know I may just wait on both lol.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
The way I always look at that is that the ultimate goal is "neutral"... the preamp/amp does nothing to the signal but pass it on, which is what it is supposed to do. If it sounds different, then one or the other is coloring the sound in some way or another. Generally, once you get to that neutral level, about the only differences are bells, whistles and price. :nerd: Now if your speakers are Martin Logan's, it would obviously be wise to get enough power to make them do what they do.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm not sure any pre/pro or receiver is really capable of giving a neutral sound. Generally I like to have no preamp at all and go from source to amp with a volume control. Now in a mixed system setup you either have to just live with going through the pre/pro or swapping the setup. I'm not sure what I plan on doing as this is the first time in a long time I've had a receiver in my setup. Also the first time in a long time that I'll have a full 7.1 setup with subs :) For the last year or so I've had 2 channel only system.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I can get the AE2000U for 2100-2400, Epson is like 3000 and the HD1 is obviously much more at around 4k. I could probably get the Pre/Pro I want and the AE2000U for the price of the HD1 :) And I really have doubts that the Epson is on par with the AE2000U. I'm going to try and get to a place to look at them though so we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
My friend said there were some sort of cadence issues where in motion scenes the resolution would drop sometimes as low as 480p? Is this still a problem with the HD1 I have no idea.
This is a problem of any display. The bigger the screen, the easier you notice it (but you have to look hard for it). No such thing as lowering the resolution...
I can afford all these projectors but I wonder if the HD1 is worth the extra 1000 bucks.
It depends on the type of perfection you look for. The JVC is absolutely the best but relatively (quality/rice) speaking, it depends...
Although I know its said to have the best black levels of any projector in this price range. I'm really iffy about the Epson, simply because the CR rating is so over rated and I just can't find a good review comparing it to the Panny or HD1.
JVC is best in black level but not by far at all compared to the UB. CR rating is explained somewhere in the stickies. Epson over rated? Yes and no.
Yes: assuming the best (dimmest) mode around 4000:1 CR
No: assuming the brightest (relatively inaccurate) mode where it exeeds its rating.
Anyway, there is nothing to complain about as far as CR is concerned (trust me).
I was just curious what your guys thoughts were? :help:
All these projector are very good. If you can afford the JVC go for it. If you can have a UB unnit QCed you will be stunned as well by PQ through the fliexibiliy of its CMS. The Panny is also excellent but a tiny bit behind the other 2 units.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Well I can get the AE2000U for 2100-2400, Epson is like 3000 and the HD1 is obviously much more at around 4k. I could probably get the Pre/Pro I want and the AE2000U for the price of the HD1 :) And I really have doubts that the Epson is on par with the AE2000U. I'm going to try and get to a place to look at them though so we'll see.
The Epson is believed to be a slightly better performer than the Panny. The Panny's an excellent machine though.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I finally found some reviews comparing the 1080 UB to the AE2000U and the 1080UB to the RS1. I'm not sure what I'll get. We'll see when the time comes sometime next weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Dougie,

If you want a 2.35 setup, a UB is not the best choice as it does no VS for 720p or 1080p input. I think the Pannie does it but I'm not sure for the JVC.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I've been going back and forth looking at these projectors online. The ones I'm considering are the Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB, Panasonic PT-AE2000U, and the JVC DLA-HD1. My friend said there were some sort of cadence issues where in motion scenes the resolution would drop sometimes as low as 480p? Is this still a problem with the HD1 I have no idea. I can afford all these projectors but I wonder if the HD1 is worth the extra 1000 bucks. Although I know its said to have the best black levels of any projector in this price range. I'm really iffy about the Epson, simply because the CR rating is so over rated and I just can't find a good review comparing it to the Panny or HD1. I was just curious what your guys thoughts were? :help:
Of the three, the JVC is technically the best...it is also by far the most expensive. I'm not sure what it means to you but $1K is significant to most people.

Between the Epson and Panny, the answer is an easy one for me (yes, I've seen them both in action)...the Epson is the better projector as far as I'm concerned. Noticeably better blacks which, in projectors, is the biggest hurdle in getting a spectacular image.

With this all being said, why no DLP? IMO, the BenQ W5000 outperforms both the Epson and Panny and is definitely worth a look if you're spending that amount.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You really think the W5000 is better then both of them? I'll have to look for some reviews. I've looked at the W5000 before and I don't know, I've always liked the look of LCD's I suppose? My RPTV right now is an 3 chip LCD unit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just read through a review comparing the 1080ub and the W5000 as well as the VW40 and they said the W5000 had the best shadow detail but the 1080ub was real close but had better black levels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just read through a review comparing the 1080ub and the W5000 as well as the VW40 and they said the W5000 had the best shadow detail but the 1080ub was real close but had better black levels.
Better black levels with a dynamic iris - native contrast will be better with DLP. As to your preference for LCD, you should be aware that 3-chip LCD has a number of issues, including an inability to produce as deep a black without engaging in the use of an iris. You can also run into the problem with panel uniformity. With that said, DLP isn't perfect either...poor lens shifting options and the possibility of rainbow effect being the two kickers that go along with DLP.

For the sake of saying you did your homework, here is a good article you should read before dismissing DLP:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/advice/dlpvslcd/hometheater.php

LAST POINT - The Epson is a VERY nice projector and one that I would strongly consider myself. The tipping point for me would be to take the advice of the ISF calibrator who works on my displays...he bought the BenQ right after he calibrated an Epson and a Panny.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts